Novice League 2006 : Week 01 Results, Week 02 Preview

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Warthog, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

What is fantasy? The Novice Leaguers completed the first week of the NBA season, leaving some happy, some sad, some in-between, and others questioning the league in the 1st place, realizing they heard 'fantasy' and misinterpreted :sssh:

Here's the rundown:

Slippys Murderers (7), Awesomeness...I hope (2)

Slippy sent out the goon squad of Murderers to crush all Hope of Awesomeness. Slipster had a tough draw in week 1, having to play against a team that never sets its lineup. :stirthepot: Thanking his lucky stars that Korver's five 3-pointers remained on the bench today, he held hugely high Hopes of an Awesome shutout, however his team of namby-pambies couldn't block a shot to save their life or put the rock in the hoop. Remind them that the ball goes in the net, not off the rim.

Aurora Kimmie Lights (4), bball_future (5)

The closest match of the week pitted the Future of BBall against Kimmie's Aurora Lights. Bball made sure Aurora's Future had no Light. This reporter is still trying to figure out if team Future is satire, as the team is saddled with players who may not be in the league for very long, and suggests a name change to Bad Knees (Webber, Stoudemire, McDyess, Nene), or Please Stay Healthy (Hill, Hughes, McGrady). Nevertheless, Bball's strategy of only picking injury-prone players actually worked for the first week. Bball Jay's only regret is that he couldn't have also drafted Kirilenko and Gerald Wallace.

Aurora tried a different strategy, opting for players who don't care about those little things...ya know...points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. :sssh: Good enough for 4 points, her players dominated at shooting wide-open layups, uncontested free throws, wide-open 3s, and calling timeouts whenever a player guarded them so they wouldn't turn it over. Curiously, Mo Evans is not on her team. Without a doubt, the 1 turnover that Aurora won by was the 1 turnover Darko had today.

Promise not to quit (0), ChipsOnPistons (8)

Chips Promised to school the Professor while watching the Pistons do anything but Quit during the week. While many laughed at Chips' choosing the Pistons' starting 5, he is the one laughing this week. Although a word to the wise, Carlos Arroyo is no longer on the team, so you might want to drop him for Flip Murray. I'm sure Flip will pull off 9-for-9 nights like Arroyo soon.

This was a classic battle of brains versus brawn. Chips only picked players on the same team, knowing his brain capacity could not match the wits of the Professor. Meanwhile, Professor picked guys with fat heads (Jefferson, Zo, Duncan, Shaq, Cook, Rahim) hoping the extra size would equal extra brains, or he picked guys with lots going on in their head, like Arenas. Unfortunately, while his team was spending all of its time pontificating, Chips' team kept it simple (stupid!) and actually put some stats together.

sprockets (7), HIMATS TEAM (2)

Apparently secret math formulas coincide with fantasy basketball results, because Sprockets put a hurting on Himat this week, who panicked and tried to scare Mr. Dba by putting his team name in ALL CAPS, and even adding the redundant word TEAM to it. Nice creativity there...how long did it take for you to come up with that one? :P

Unfortunately for Himat, Davis isn't in a contract year, Wells knows it isn't the playoffs yet, and Williams is out 6-8 weeks. Sprockets decided to sneak attack and have 6 players on the last day, surpassing Himat in every category except rebounds and blocks. And it truly was a sneak attack, as Himat was left wondering how he got beat by Joey Graham, Udonis Haslem, and Donyell Marshall, and everyone else was left wondering what-the-heck kind of sprocket formula makes Joey Graham a viable pick in the first place, when he wasn't even taken in the 8-round, 64-player deep sleeper league. Is it the 2 rebounds in 2 games? Or perhaps the 0-for-5 shooting on the year? Sprocket Man must know something we don't.

Taters Terrors (1), theRalphies (7)

It serves Tater right for getting 'mashed' in week 1, as his penchant for picking a properly-alliterated fantasy team name shows that he is no novice. Meanwhile, The Ralphies has not realized that the 'The <bandname>' craze has been over for a couple years now. Either way, it was Tater Tots for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner. The only category Tater outright won was Assists ... and judging by his team's own shooting percentage, his strategy was to pick players who passed to guys who could actually score ... including those on the other team:pound: (just look at the turnovers!). He apparently forgot that turnovers resulting in layups do not count as assists. Ralphi in the meantime was just happy to win despite picking Earl Watson at PG when he meant to pick Earl Boykins. He was overhead on draft day saying "everyone understimates that short little Earl guy, but he's going to do big things for me this year."

Warthog's Wackjobs 7, 16 Mile (2)

While Warthog had similar karma problems as Tater with regards to team name, 16 Mile's karma was worse, not even having a team name. The Wackjob that lives off 16 Mile put the hurting on 16 Mile, and even got to sandbagging the last 2 days so other teams would understimate him and have difficulty scouting for the next week.

16 Mile decided to draft every player on the Lakers' roster, figuring if Kobe gets hurt, ONE of them has to jack up shots and put up his statline. Warthog had such a sizeable lead that he sandbagged the last 2 days to win in Turnovers, and this lame tactic almost cost him in both TOs and 3-pointers, until Lewis drained 6 treys and Dwight Howard felt like sharing the ball with the Hawks. Hopefully the lame tactic will not cause bad karma for this week.

Week 2 Preview:

Warthog's Wackjobs (7-2-0) vs. Awesomeness...I hope (2-7-0)

Linwood takes over for the absent Awesomeness, while Warthog cries that someone will actually be setting lineups and not benching stellar players such as Greg "how-did-i-get-in-the-nba" Buckner and Derek "still-living-off-that-lucky-shot-3-years-ago-vs-the-wolves" Fisher. Linwood wussed out of the initial draft and only came back because the team had Marion and 3 Utah players who will no doubt dominate the Pistons today just like they did a year ago. Warthog pulls off a coup when Boozer refuses to play for Linwood's team and places himself on Warthog's roster, but then breaks a toenail and sits out the rest of the season.

Slippys Murderers (7-2-0) vs. Aurora Kimmie Lights (4-5-0)

Slippys Murderers become Slippys Sandbaggers this week, as he tries to take a page from Warthog's book and win the turnover battle by sitting his starters 6 of the 7 days this week. Aurora pulls a $1 Price Is Right tactic and doesn't start a single player this week to counter. Aurora pulls off 3 games when a Yahoo glitch calculates her team's shooting percentages trying to divide by 0 (shot attempts), and records them as infinity. Slippy's namby pambies win in Blocks this week when Aurora's team gets a record-low 0 total blocks, her players too afraid to break a nail on defense.

Promise not to quit (0-8-1) vs. bball_future (5-4-0)

The Professor blanks BBall Jay 9-0 this week as Jay's entire lineup realizes they're not supposed to be healthy for 2 weeks in a row, and has to rely on Darko and Delfino for all of his stats, then gripes to Yahoo! about how they should base fantasy on 40-minute averages. Professor is just happy his team can succeed at putting the ball in the home 43% of the time and still win that category.

sprockets (7-2-0) vs. ChipsOnPistons (8-0-1)

The premier match of the week pits the pocket-protector TI-86s against the blue-collar, education-less Chips. Chips has already proven he can win a brains vs. brawn battle and appears confident, while Sprockets players are skipping running drills, and are instead using protractors to calculate trajectory angles. The new NBA balls overload dba's database and he crashes and burns. Chips gives up a few games though by playing Arroyo every night and hoping he repeats his 9-for-9 shooting performance from Sunday, but cries after he goes 0-for-9 in 6 consecutive games.

Taters Terrors (1-7-1) vs. HIMATS TEAM (2-7-0)
    Tater is disappointed that he has to play a team with a better record and considers forfeiting to such superiority. He then realizes if he had played Himat in week 1, he could've had 3 wins instead of 1, and it gives him hope. Himat is just praying his team's atrocious FG% doesn't suck as badly as Tater's, and that his team continues to take 100 shots a game, as he's said "hey they can't turn it over if they just keep shooting."

16 MIle (2-7-0) vs. thaRalphies (7-1-1)

Ralphies saw how Wart's Wackjobs stopped playing guys altogether the past 2 days, and takes his chances by refusing to play more than 1 player a day. His arrogance is already well-known after kicking Tater while he was down, and speaking in French no less. Double whammy. 16 MIle jumps for joy at his chances of victory until Ben Wallace records 19 steals in one game for Ralph, and Kobe Bryant turns it over a record 77 times in one game and he loses in both categories.
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Very Nice Warthog.

If only I had someone kind enough to post one for Advanced and Trial. :)
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks WH, this makes Monday mornings something to look forward to.

Four more boards and the sprockets go 8 and 1. Darn that Paul Pierce.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

GREAT stuff Warthog. I hope you continue to do this. Entertaining, enlightening, and truly something to look forward to.

BTW, your arse will be the proverbial "grass" when our teams play after that less than complimentary rundown of the Taters squad. Consider this your warning. We were outnumbered and had an off week. Ralphi's guys played well, but it's not how you start the race that matters...it's how you finish.

The Taters will climb up the ladder and use your team as a stepping stone....you watch.

I have marked weeks 10 and 21 on my calendar.

Beware the wrath of Tater!

You'll eat your words in next weeks report.
  5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

thanks for the compliments and threats in the same post, you truly are a Sith! :P i plan to do this weekly. hopefully we can talk about each week in these threads instead of making the Novice League Banter thread 20,000 posts long during the season. anyway, here's the predictions and preview for Week 2!! if a mod could please attach this to the original post, that'd be great :)

(Moved by Mod to first post per Warthog's request ~ MotownPride is in the Hizzie!)
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One lucky week, or the beginnings of a dynasty? The only question is whether having to learn reverse Polish notation owing to the franchise's recent move from TI to HP calculators will cause a problem. :nerd2: Nah, one more assist and the sprocket's numbers last week would have won seven of nine catgories against the COP-pers.

We'll just ignore for now that I'm winning the catgories I paid no attention to in drafting and losing the catgories the team was supposed to dominate. :sssh:
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Test bump
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

nice roundup, warthog, including some provocations- you kinda remind me of ol' Eris from greek mythology. The one who was responsible for the Troja war. See you in week 3, warthog!
    @Aurora and slippy
    what the hell made you drop Anthony Parker/Ronny Turiaf?
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

hehe yeah that's kind of the idea, keep people razzin on each other and talkin' smack and having fun and maintaining interest :D

i predict i run out of puns and witty remarks by week 6 :nerd2:
  10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

I say even earlier- you failed to save the best for last- just like Seinfeld!
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I dunno. Its not like I know what I'm doing. :noidea:
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

Is this the reason that made you change to the Darth side :sssh:
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

actually, darth tater was a little disgruntled that hq beaugarded his name so darth slippy was a joke that everyone took as being pro-ben anti pistons...i was going to change to Luke Slippywalker but i may have to stay a darth to combat thewaveof jedi-ism.