Novice League Banter 07-08

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Slippy, Oct 11, 2007.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The dust from the draft has settled and the computer cleaning crew has been in to remove the 4,294 digitial sticky notes I had plastered all over my computer screen. There was only about 0.75 square inches of the screen I could see by round 11 - no wonder I took Krstic.

And now in the cold light of day I give you the Sprockets!

Observation 1 - Oh no, I forgot to draft anyone who can score.

Observation 2 - Yes, I drafted heavily from the geriatric ward.

Observation 3 - At least I balanced the positions pretty well - 3 PGs, 4 SGs, 4 SFs, 3 PFs, 4 Cs. And only got one pair of guys from the same team.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I had notes but as that draft took place I threw them out the window and floated along the the draft like a leaf in a storm.

The first blow was dealt to the Kimmie lights...No Nash for you!

I wasn't expecting to add a solid big like Gasol but he was there...it was the middle 2nd round...i just couldn't pass up

The third round left some interesting choices but the Infirmary had to go with G-Wall. This team lacks an identity without the injury risk.

How lucky is that...the opportunity to pick up 2 3rd round guys in G-wall and Joe Johnson. next came Darth's boy Antwan Jamison.

Everyone's favourite break out player lamarcus aldridge came next. Then Andrea Bargnani.
    Even with Nash and JJ running the back court, i had to go with a 3 guard rotation involving Mo Williams. Battier rounds out the playing roster.

on the reserve list is Al Harford cuz i needed more big men stats. And rodney stuckey. why not. I'll play him about as much as flip
  3. dba

Just to be clear - we have smaller rosters this year right? So no setting lineups? Or did I go to sleep and miss the last two rounds of the draft?

And to make sure you are very afraid of the Sprockets, here is their mascot, our new kitten - Sprocket.

[​IMG]
  4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

HOW COULD YOU?!:crying:

For me it triggered a post-traumatic stress incident!:dizzy2: When I was a rookie fantasy basketball GM just last year (and highly suggestible I might add) you and Darth talked me out of taking Steve Nash in the first round. Both of you said that I HAD to have a "Stats Stud" AND that Nash would be available in the second round most likely. HA!...HA! With the #3 pick I took Dirk. And then later in the FIRST round dba took nash. It just broke my heart, I swear. And like Nash didn't turn out to be a stats stud anyway.:pound: Now this year I guess he's good enough to be your first round pick, Slip.:mmph:

That whole "Steve Nash or Dirk Nowitzki incident" retraumatized me! It reminded of me when I pledged Alpha Chi Omega in my college sorority rush because they were thought to be "hot" and one of the "top 3 houses" on campus. I should have gone with the Tri Delts because they were a bunch of girl jocks that hung out and partied with all the boy jocks. :burp::dance::cheers:But no, I was with the "house of elegant blondes," who were trying to get married to guys from the Business School:lecturer::pout:.

I won't forgive you taking Nash, my man. :gaah:A plague upon your Infirmary!!! (except for Stevie of course). Was that really necessary? There was no better stat stuffer at that point? It's almost like you did it:decision:....on purpose. (cue music that indicates extreme suspicion:suspiciou). Like maybe you were mad that I finished third in Novice last year and got a trophy (even though you weren't setting your lineups and were driving across country without a computer and I had to change half of my lineup :reading:every night for the entire matchup. It took what it took.) A trophy as a rookie!! :third::bow1:

Stevie was the only player I wanted with all my heart.:love: Hell hath no fury like a woman who didn't get the only NBA player she wanted in her Novice League PF.com Fantasy Basketball Draft. Watch out for my "emotional integrity" team of "picks from my heart." If you ever saw the movie The Replacements you know what a team with "miles and miles of heart" can accomplish. :gun1:

P.S. dba, I plan to start working on my mascot asap! :stirthepot:Sprocket the Newborn Kitten will be a tough act to follow however.:)
  5. dba

I think somebody needs a glass of wine and half a lude.

:)

Hmmm... The sun is over the yardarm.
  6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

7. detteam

detteam All-Star

I dunno...sounds kind of counter-productive to the intent :)

Being completely green to fantasy bball, I still have a LOT of questions. I'd always heard about 'setting rosters' and still don't know what that means. How many of your players are allowed for each weekly match-up? Can you change your roster in the middle of the week because of an injury or suspension...or do you have to ride with it? Are the week end stats compared on average to account for differing numbers of games played? Does the week start on Sunday?

Is there a page on Yahoo that answers these questions and countless other ones I have? :nerd2:
  8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

"Setting rosters" is deciding which of your players will play on a given night and then placing them on active status, basically by putting them in a position slot.In our league, any player in a position slot other than B for Bench will be counted as active in the statistics that night.

You have nine active rosters spots per day. You can mix them up anyway and in any order than you want but the spots you have to work with are: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util. Anyone in your bench slots will not be counted in the stats for the day. So there is plenty of flexibility in how you set your rosters, but your player must be listed at the desired position. Example: You can't put Shaq in as your point guard.

Absolutely. You can change your roster daily. Novice League is a daily scoring league. Making sure you don't have injured guys active is pretty important especially because you have two bench positions that you could put in their slot until they are healthy again.

No. No averaging. Hopefully it all evens out across the week and eventually the season. But sometimes some of your guys will play more games that week than other guys play.

No. The week starts on Monday. It makes for alot of excitement in the late games on Sunday night. Get Stat Tracker on Yahoo for live stats so that you can track exactly how your teams is doing in your matchup.

I don't know. I think I learned everything from Slippy and Darth. Slippy was commish of Novice last year and Darth was his helper. Somewhere there is a very detailed thread about Fantasy Basketball prepared by one or both of them. I read that and then pm'd them with all other questions I had. Anyone who has played at least one season should be able to answer most of your questions.

Det, you are going to love playing fantasy basketball! It is really fun, especially when you get into tight matchups and you are watching the live stat scoreboard during your player's games!
  9. Slippy

KIM....I WILL HAVE MY REvenge!!!!

In hindsight Kim, we gave you some bad advice. Look at Darth in advanced league. Well...look at how he does by mid season and you'll see if that was bad advice.
  10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

http://www.pistonsforum.com/fantasy-basketball/4195-fantasy-basketball-pointers.html

Found it. And detteam, I just realized all this is in the Novice League Banter thread so...just for the record...the Aurora Kimmie Lights are going to be the team of destiny this year. Nash or no Nash. We've still got Deron and AI!:gun1:
  11. Slippy

PM us if you have questions on improving your team.
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Kim,

Seriously, are you sure I told you not to take Nash????
  13. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

OMG, you took Nash in Novice and Darth took Nash in Advanced this year! Unreal. Oh, the irony.

Still, I learned what I know at you guys' feet. Last year the student knew better than the teachers re Nash. This year.....only the matchups will tell.
  14. Slippy

I picked Nash 6th which is right in line...if I went 2nd or 3rd, I'd go MArion or Dirk or even KG is the opportunity presented itself. DARTH is the guy you need to smack. :gun1:
  15. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah yeah. Something about Dirk being more multi-category. Rebounds and blocks. Something like that. I don't remember EXACTLY but it made sense at the time. LOL. I was just trying to be silly with my story. I'm not really MAD at you guys, but it is ironic that you both have "little Stevie" (as Bill Walton calls him) this season in fantasy bball. :)
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Oh, I know you were kidding.

I dunno, last year I had first pick and took stupid Lebron instead of the player I really wanted (Arenas...although I was able to get him later in trade).

This year I wasn't going to do it.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

As Novice League Commisioner, I would like to wish you all success this year with your fantasy teams. It promises to be an enjoyable season with so many quality GM's in the league.

As General Manager of the Mad Ants I would like to take this opportunity to introduce my team. In the frontcourt, our franchise player is Shaun "The Matrix" Marion. Night in and night out, this cool cat will bring you 20 points, 10+ rebounds, several blocks, force a few turnovers, shoot a very high % and make nearly 80% of his free throws. Word out of Phoenix is that Shaun feels a bit overshadowed by Amare and Steve, so I expect him to play with a real chip on his shoulder this season. In fact, when I talked to him on the phone earlier, he said "Linwood, you haven't seen nothing yet. This year, I'm going to be league MVP. People are going to say 'Steve Who?'"

Assisting Shaun down low will be a trio of bigs. Carlos Boozer brings a double double every night and shoots well from the line. Zach Randolph also brings double digit scoring and rebounding while shooting a very high %. With these two taking care of the glass, former Piston Baby Fats should be free to shoot threes and spread the defense.

Our shooting guard position is led by the venerable Ray Allen, perhaps the best pure shooter in the NBA. With teams forced to concentrate on KG down low and Paul Pierce creating havoc with his midrange shot, I believe Ray should make about 12 3 pointers a night. Now that's what I call Hibachi!

Backing up Ray is former Piston Grant Hill. Fully recovered from knee surgery, Grant will be starting for Phoenix this year, and I think we will all remember why we were so sad to see him leave Detroit.

At the point, the Mad Ants bring young, exciting players. Rookie of the Year Brandon Roy will be our main offensive threat in the starting lineup, with T.J. Ford providing assists and scoring.

The Mad Ants round out the roster with a few question marks, but we see tremendous potential in Stephen Jackson, Monta Ellis, and Matt Barnes.
  18. Slippy

Thats a good team there, commish! I look forward to throwing you all under a bus!:gun1:
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

Throw me under the bus? That doesn't sound very sportsmanlike. Your team's already a bunch of sore losers, and we haven't even played the first game.

Have a nice day.

:hoops:
  20. dba

I’m a little surprised we’re even going ahead with this charade of a competitive league. Surely you’ve all had a chance by now to check out the mighty Sprockets’ lineup. Surely you realize just how hopeless it is to challenge us.

We have got veteran leadership in spades with Kidd, Duncan, and BigBen Wallace bringing it every night. Add in Andre Iguodala, who can score from anywhere in the building and several places in the parking lot, and the combination of Tayshaun Prince and David Lee, neither of whom ever saw a stat category they couldn’t contribute to (assuming Isiah gets his head out of his butt and plays the kid). Then just to change things up we bring in Hinrich and Mike Miller who will rain so many threes your DirecTV signal will flake out.

And the guys at the end of the bench are all solid starters in the league – Bogut and Kristic rebound, shoot well, and don’t turn the ball over, and Randy Foye is going to see a whole new world this season in Minny.

Even Sprocket the kitten can see that this one is over. (She just yawned, stopped eating the USB cable, and nodded in agreement.)