Novice League News

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by roscoe36, Oct 20, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Disregard all information I have supplied before this post.

Everyone who wanted "in" has PM.

Here is a recap of the PM and this is the MASTER information for this league.

Here is what I need.

If you are in, send me an email address to send the invite to. You can PM THAT ONLY. Don't PM me with questions or comments. POST THEM HERE please.

I'm moving the join up cutoff to Monday evening. After that time, I will be scrambling to add players to complete the league and you may be on the outside looking in. Unfortunate, but I can't hold up the group for a couple people.

Draft. I've talked to Motown and basically the reason I am rapidly balding is the different schedules trying to matchup for a live draft.

We are going autorank/automated draft. This puts everyone on equal ground as too much time has already been lost trying to accommodate a live draft.

http://help.yahoo.com/help/hoops/hoo...prules-08.html

The cutoff for pre-ranking is Thursday evening 9:00 PM EST. Because it can take 72 hours for the computer to draft, I will manually trigger it at this time. Once you join the league (see above for instructions on PMing me your email address) you can start pre-ranking.

League setup follows.

Draft Type - Auto Draft
    Scoring Type - Head to Head
    Max Moves - 100
    Max Trades - No maximum
    Trade Reject Time - 2
    Trade End Date - March 2, 2006
    Waiver Time - 2 days
    Trade Review - League Votes
    Post Draft Players - Follow Waiver Rules
    Weekly Deadline - Daily - Tomorrow
    Start Scoring on - Week 1
    Roster Positions - PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Util, BN, BN, BN, IL, IL
    Stat Categories - FG%, FT%, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO

An additional rule. Name your team something related to your PF.com username so that fellow players know who you are in the fantasy league.

One more thing, don't quit. Everyone will be in the playoffs, regardless of record. The time requirement is small once you get the hang of changing rosters, and the objective of this league is to have fun and learn about fantasy bball.
  2. roscoe36

Some tips for pre-ranking (if you choose to do it).

Important note: You can only pre-rank 156 players. Don't go over that limit or you will lose your changes (I already did it).

The first thing I do is eliminate players that are injured or are not going to play a second. You can do that by moving them to the exclude list.

Amare Stoudemire for instance is off my draft list.
    Fran Vasquez is playing in Europe.

If you aren't up on everyone, that's ok. Not many of the outside players are ranked very high anyway, and you will be able to drop them later and pick up a serviceable replacement.

How the positions work.

We are drafting 13 men per team to fill the following positions except IL (injured list).

PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Util, BN, BN, BN, IL, IL

If you see two player you think are equal in value, the tie breaker could be flexibility. Some players are listed as PG+SG. This means they can play 3 positions. PG, SG and G. Whereas a PG can only play PG and G. The same for F/C (forward centers) and SF+PF. These players can swing to fill spots in your lineup and do not have to stay within one slot. Flexibility is GOOD.

This is particularly important when it comes to big men. Each team needs 2 decent centers. While some of the best fantasy centers are pure C(s), a forward who is a F/C is handy if one of your centermen go down.

Why is that?

Your competing lineup must have a PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, and two Utility players. Injuries or other external factors could mean that you have to go to your bench. You might want to keep 1 guard, 1 forward and 1 center on the bench. But do you really want to pass up a second great bench guard to keep a crappy spare center?

A couple weak tips from me.

If you don't know what you are doing, let the pre-ranked players ride. You are still going to end up with great players and I imagine there will be lots of player movement during the first 3 months of the season.

If you don't want to fuss too much with re-ranking everyone, just exclude players that suck, are rookies and you don't get a good feeling about them or are injured.

If you are going to bother to re-rank players for a custom draft list, make sure you have some big men near the top. Although their fantasy value may be lower than Lebron James, they are a scarcer commodity than productive shooting guards or small forwards. No sense grabbing 3 small players early and being left with Boniface N'Dong as your starting C (ok, I'm exaggerating).

One more thing. Read everything by jdmiser and Motown Pride in this forum. You'll get a good grip on some strategies and approaches to take.
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

head to head: is this per week? is there a max limit of games over the season?
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Head to Head:

is this per week?

Head to Head is per week. There is a schedule section on your Yahoo fantasy b-ball league page where you can check out who your opponents will be and for what time period for the entire season.

is there a max limit of games over the season?

There is no max limit of games in a head to head play. The max limit option normally pertains to a Rotisserie style of play where stats are accumulated throughout the season to determine a winner. The beauty of the head to head format is that every week you start off with a clean slate (as far as stats are concerned). So with a good trade, a nice free agent pickup..bammm!!! you're back in the race! The object of head to head play is to win more categories than your opponent for the week. The categories you win and lose become your record.

So if you win in PTs, FT%, STLs, 3PTs, ASTs and lose in FG%, REBs, BLKs and TOs.

You win the matchup with a record of 5-4.
  5. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I'm all pre-ranked and ready to draft.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Me too.
  7. roscoe36

I'm pre-ranked and ready to go.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm preranked too. I got to take on Superstarovs team on the first week from Oct. 31-Nov. 6.
  9. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

draft

you know what? i'll have a samuel jackson as well.

ah, i mean, i'm pre-ranked and good to go too....
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

count me in

I'm pre ranked and ready. This could be a disaster. Seems I don't really care for "stats" guys, and I found myself passing on the big number scorers, and looking for the hardworking defense guys. I might end up with a roster full of Lindsey Hunters and D. Mutumbo types. :doh:
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You know you can rechange it until the deadline (Thursday).
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Maybe I will win the blocked shots, steals, and technical fouls catagory. A whole new fantasy system. If I start winning, I'm going to go on and on about "playing the right way" :eyebrows:
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Fantasy Draft

We had the expert league live draft on Sunday night. It was a lot of fun and much more challenging than I thought it would be.

There were definately some interresting picks. Some guys went much earlier than expected, while some top names fell well down into the middle to late rounds. I won't get into specifics so as not to influence your draft in any way.

My 1 piece of advice is to have several choices ready for each round because your guys will get snatched up pretty quickly. You'll want to have several back-up plans ready, otherwise if you run out of time the computer will autodraft that selection for you and you may not like what you get.

Good luck!
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:laugh: Good luck with that.
  15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm going to draft for the future! Piss poor stats but man, what an upside.
  16. roscoe36

linwood, just make sure you draft for categories that you can win like TO/steals/blocks/rebounds etc.

You don't need high scorers per se. Made 3 pointers and points only account for 2 categories we are competing in.
  17. roscoe36

Just a quick reminder guys, the pre-rank deadline is fast approaching.

I won't be issuing another reminder, and will post when the draft is triggered so please make your final changes now!!!
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

When is the actual draft?(date and time)
  19. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

Trying to figure out how to get to draft.
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Its an auto draft all you have to do is pre draft. If you have not already done that you have very little time if any micro said you had to get predrafted quickly about an hour ago... Its okay if you don't because yahoo already logically ranked the players it's only if you think some decisions are better than others.