Now, here's the beginning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I know I already posted it in another thread, but after thinking it over I decided that this could use its own thread. Basically, the local media has started voicing an opinion that Amir needs to play. So, maybe this will get the big media machine going. It could be that that's where it all dies, but hopefully it's not the case.

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

That is the first positive thing I have ever seen Blakely write about AJ.

The thing that is so frustrating is that everyone who sees AJ play for any period of time, with what seems like the exception of Flipper raves about AJ's physical skills and his game.

How can Dumars let Flipper stand in the way of such a talent? AJ has basketball talent gifts that you can't teach on a court and these are special gifts.

:hoops:

3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Maybe it's just me, but his fundamentals on defense (especially on the perimeter) seem to have gotten better over the last few weeks. At the beginning of the season he was biting on everything, and could never recover, but he is challenging shots very well lately. Some of the early-season issues were likely because of the injury, but there has been a definite improvement.

And I still believe Amir won't have success here until Joe brings in a coach that will focus the offense around breaking down the D. In Flip's offense, bigs have to be willing shooters, or they have no role. They end up looking lost, when in reality, Flip's offense just takes them out of the game. There are no pick and rolls to get loose on, and the defense doesn't break down consistently (read; rarely), for open looks inside. Maxiell's willingness and ability to knock down 15 footers is what won him a spot in the regular rotation, and made him a pretty consistent force for this team. Flip could care less about his ability to mix it up inside.

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    AJ looked a lot better defensively in the game against Knicks. He closed out on shooters better than anyone else and played passing and driving lanes cutting off penetration. He also seemed to be moving his feet quite a bit better than before. He did look rusty on offense, but after sitting for that long who wouldn't.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Oh man, this post just read my mind, line for line. Pick and pops as oppossed to pick and rolls are killing this team.

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

AJ is a far better jump shooter than Maxey ever will be. He just hasn't shown it this year. But if you go and watch films of games from the D league it is clear that he can shoot the ball and not just layups and dunks.

:hoops: