Now More Than Ever, College Football Needs a Playoff

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, Dec 2, 2007.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Well, with Missouri and West Virginia losing last night, looks like Ohio State will "back in" to the national title game even though they haven't played a game since they beat mighty Michigan. The fact that the Buckeyes haven't played a tough nonconference schedule and don't play in a tough conference makes me wonder how they were ranked No. 3 to begin with. Could it be because they were already ranked high at the beginning of the season and didn't fall far because of only one loss? College football is a joke in terms of deciding who should play in the title game. Last season, Michigan didn't get another shot despite only losing to Ohio State by 3. They were the No. 2 team and they lost to the No. 1 team but they fell in the polls anyway. Probably a good thing, though, since they would have lost again. That would have been five losses to Ohio State for Hart and Co. And then an SEC team comes in and smacks the Bucks around.

Speaking of SEC, what of Georgia? They were ranked No. 4 going into yesterday's games. How much you want to bet the pollsters will use the argument that Georgia didn't play and didn't win an SEC title to leave them at No. 4 and allow LSU to leapfrog them. Meanwhile, Ohio State will probably move up but the pollsters won't use the same "they didn't play" argument.

I think Oklahoma and LSU, by virtue of playing in the toughest conferences this season and winning their conference titles, deserve to be in the title game. 'Course, the PAC-10 was pretty tough this season, too. But why leave it to human polls? Settle it on the field. Oh, there will always be some form of human intervention. If you have an 8-team playoff, who decides who the 8 teams are? For example, this season Hawaii is undefeated but would have a hard time getting into a playoff because they play in the WAC (Weak-Azz Conference).

Anyway, the current system is ridiculous. Makes it tougher and tougher to consider college football a legitimate entity when the postseason is such a sham.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Bowl Game system is all about money. Following the money always discloses motives.
  3. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Eight teams is an excellent plan. I would take undefeated Hawaii over a 2 loss team that didn't win their conference. I would take Hawaii over any 3 loss team.............
  4. ggazoo69

You're right, it is all about money. But there would actually be more money to be made, I think, if a playoff was instituted. Three weeks of playoffs. The advertisers would come running and the TV stations who showed the 7 games could charge a bunch for ad space. The other 45 teams or so could still get into bowl games and just play outside the playoff picture which they're pretty much doing now anyway, and those teams could still get paid by their bowl sponsors.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It seems so obvious a playoff is needed. I'm amazed they haven't figured it out yet.
  6. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Sounds good, but the teams after the top eight would not generate much more than local interest. Their dollars generated for Bowl profits would equal the effort generated by the Lions defense today............
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

8 teams would be nice, but that would add 2 games to the season...remember we're talking student athletes. A 4 team playoff seems doable.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see why you couldn't call the seven playoff games "bowl games". They could rotate the games each year similar to what is being done with the BCS bowls. One year, for example, the semis might consist of the Orange and Sugar Bowls and the championship game would be the Rose Bowl. The quarterfinals could be Fiesta Bowl, Cotton Bowl, etc.
  9. ggazoo69

Exactly. The Bowl Game names could stay. It would be a nice compromise.
  10. ggazoo69

Yeah, I think this is the objection that the college presidents have. I would say play one less regular season game but it would be unfair to make that a rule across the board because not everyone would qualify for a playoff obviously. College presidents don't want to lose that one extra regular-season game because it means less money coming into the university.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd go with a 16 team playoff, single elimination tourney. Use 15 different bowls and rotate them as was mentioned.

Let's do the math.

8 teams (the losers of the first round of the playoff) would be in the same position as they would be now, having to play a bowl game, so no change.

4 teams would have to play 1 extra game than the current system.

2 teams would have to play 2 extra games.

2 teams would have to play 3 extra games.

So, 16 teams, 14 extra games = .875 extra game per team in the top 16 over the current system.

Not a big deal.

I would select 8 conferences and say that the winners of those 8 conferences get an automatic bid. The next 8 best ranked teams in the country would fill the remaining 8 spots.

And the ratings would be Superbowl-like.

Skip this huge gap in December where nothing is happening.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I say lets just call off the BCS title game and declare Hawaii the winner since they were the only team to survive this topsy durvy college season without a loss. All of the top tier teams who supposedly played tough schedules still lost to inferior talent and Hawaii did not lose to any of that same inferior talent that may have played all season.

Let the other teams play for number #:second:
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The extra number of games from playoffs cutting into the players' time as students is a weak excuse for anyone to make. Every other level of football in college, aside from Division 1A, has a playoff system where the finalists end up playing something like 15 games total for the season. If it's good enough for every other division of college football, it's good enough for the major one.
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

exactly..... so the folks that say students that are more likely to play on sunday need to be in class more then the division 3 student who has no chance to ever play on sunday.... makes no sence in any way or form.

It is all about money and anybody who says otherwise is just full of doo doo.

i'd go with the bcs model right now... top 12 teams get in and the top 4 seeds get a first week bye. get rid of that extra game that the presidents voted in a few years back and have a bowl season for those that didn't make the top 12.