NYTimes high on Big Ben

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by NJPiston, Jun 10, 2006.

1. NJPiston

NJPiston Second Round Draft Pick

First time poster but long time fan. Been following the Pistons closely since Isiah joined in 80-81. Anyway, there was an interesting article in the NYTimes this morning about how a couple of statisticians and economists (I guess they must be NBA fans) developed this algorithm "that measures a player's "wins produced" for his team." According to this article Ben Wallace produced 20.1 wins this year, the highest among the Pistons. to put that in perspective during MJ run of six titles he "produced" 23.4 wins. On the other side AI and Carmelo only produced 13 wins. What's really interesting this guy thinks the Eric Dampier and Antoine Walker will decide who wins the Mavs - Heat series because Dampier's limited contribution produces 7.8 wins and Walker only 2.1 wins. According to the article Stackhouse contribution to the Mavs over the course of the season is in the negatives. Anyway here's the link:

[FONT=&quot]http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/10/opinion/10berri.html?ex=1150603200&en=9618ccaa042a6639&ei=5070&emc=eta1[/FONT]

I hope it works since this is my first post and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. If not check out today's times at www.nytimes.com in the editorial section.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Very interesting article NJPiston. The author doesn't really explain how he develops this algorithm from the statistics as far as I can see. It would seem like it would be hard to measure a lot of the things Ben does like tap backs and changing shots. Maybe a plus/minus type of stat is factored in also.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Great article. It basically quantifies what we all know... do the things that make other people want to be on your team. Everyone wants to play with a guy like Ben.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Thanks MJ Piston... nice way to come on the board and contribute.

There should be a correlation with selfish players that don't play defense and real contributions.... this could suggest that intangibles have a higher value than expected.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Wait till bballjay sees this!:laugh:

6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Great article, I'd love to see the entire list. I love how it shows how detrimental players like Stackhouse and Fatoine are, in spite of their numbers, and how workhorses like Big Ben and Josh Howard are so important to there teams.

Just say no to Bonzi.