O6 NFL Draft...What will the Lions do?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Apr 24, 2006.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's gunna blow up the whole draft. Texans needed Oline help. They may have saved $15mil.
    Nobody wants to trade up because it's too costly picks wise.
  2. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

It doesnt look like they saved any money. 6yrs, 54 million? I think thats what it was. Alot more than the last coulple years top picks. I'm sure they could have had Bush for the same amount.
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

taking williams has bowie/jordan type implications imo
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're right. They sure paid a premium. Normally QB's get the premium when taken in the high first round, but Williams got even more than the 9ers gave Alex Smith last year.

From what I've been reading though, Bush wanted even more money and contract negotiations broke down.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Nice pick on Sims. Domestic violence and injury prone. Wonder if the two things are related?
    I hate the Lions. Speaking of related, maybe they got confused and thought Ernie was related to Billy? :frusty:
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Now you know why I say regulate these cats. $54mil. / 6 = $9mil. per.
    It almost sounds tame.
    LB is a solid need since ours keep breaking down. DB next!
  7. Darth Tater

They should have traded down and taken the kid from Iowa (Greenway).:mad:
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Good deal... we draft a concussion waiting to happen and a safety... that should help our #27th rated offense.
    Millen's job is complete as the worst GM in the history of the game.
  9. Darth Tater

I like the safety at #2 (Bullocks). I'm just ticked at their first pick. The Red Wing game didn't help my mood. We need a Pistons win tonight to boost our spirits. :fingerscr
  10. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

This is a disgrace:frusty: .
    At least go where there is a glaring need at OT. ERNIE SIMS?? He is a late first round, second round pick at best! What was he thinking?:doh: DarthTater I agree, Greenway would've been better. But in a situation when the players that you want (huff, d'brick) are gone, then why not trade down?? If you really want him, he would still be available at 15-20. TRADE DOWN MILLEN. Don't settle for players like Sims and Mike Williams.

And then Daniel Bullocks? He had a bad combine so you pick him in the second round? He may be decent, but Ko Simpson and Darnell Bing were available too, they would've been better options.

Now I am hoping that he either picks Jon Scott (OT) or Omar Jacobs(QB)
    But guess what? He wont.

Say it with me, FIRE MILLEN!
  11. jammertime

Wow. Talk about a freaking let down. I've been looking forward to this draft for about a month now and we end up with an undersized, injury proned criminal :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: at #9???????

We missed Huff by 2 spots in the first and Justice by a couple in the 2nd.

I agree with you guys. Once Hawk, Huff and Brick were gone, we should ahve traded down. With 2 highly coveted QB's still on the board for teams with that need, we could have gotten SOMETHING for our spot and still been able to grab Sims or one of the other, less concussed, less criminal LBs later in the 1st.
  12. jammertime

But what I REALLY don't get is that Millen specifically said that he was going to look much closer at CHARACTER when making his selections. Is beating your girlfriend a sign of character these days?

He also said that he was going to look for "smart" players. With at least 5 prior concussions, Sims will be lucky to be able to spell smart by the end of the season.
  13. Darth Tater

I really do NOT understand Millen. It's almost as if he is intentionally trying to destroy what little hope remains for the forseeable future of this sad sack joke of a franchise. I know it's irrational to believe that he would purposely do that...but... WHAT A FREAKIN IDIOT!!!!!!
  14. jammertime

Well I will give Millen 1 thing. At least he's consistent. He's been an absolute idiot for 5 years.

On the bright side, at least he's only under contract for 5 more years. I guess this is the Half Way point of the Milennium.
  15. Hotsauce

Please tell me that I am not seeing this right....:frusty: :frusty: :mad:

Brian Calhoun, RB in the third round
  16. Hotsauce

With this third round pick, I believe he has successfully done that.:faint:
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's not easy defending the undefensible... history shows the track record...
    So what was the right answer?
    Well we might start by recognizing the limited capabilities of the primary position on offense... Kitna is the long tern answer?... uhh, probably not...
    you've got this kid out of Vandy that's used to being in an impossible position ... no pass protection (sound familiar?)... take Cutler and buy some development time with Kitna.
    You've got a chance to improve your O-line and other teams have shown they're willing to trade down in the 2nd round... you couldn't trade one pick before our 2nd pick and a 6th rounder and pick up Justin Winston? (projected @ # 12 overall)... just plain ignorant to take that chance.
    3rd round... oh geesh.. just forget it ... this guy's hopeless/clueless.
    What amazes me is that they had so much time to address the teams needs and this is the best they can come up with.

I hope some of you guys that wanted DB's are real happy with our offense next year.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Alright you guys, there's no way I can spin this other than what I heard.
    We've seen what we can do with QBs so drafting one would be a waste, right?
    We signed 3 Oline FAs. I know, 2 are all beat up. Still we don't really need one yet.
    We did not take a WR, improvement, right?
    Marinate said he wanted guys that love the game. E Sims fits the bill. He's only had one bad KO, that's the one where his lights went out for a while. That's football.
    He's a play maker that filled a need, I think. Sam Mills was only 5'7" and was fine for years.
    Martz has more than enough to work with on O.
    We needed a freakin' DB, filled a need.
    I don't know nothing about this RB. WTF?
  19. jammertime

Man, what a bummer. We came within 2 picks of getting Huff and 1 of getting Winston Justice.

I've warmed a bit to the picks, but I definitely think that we could have gotten both of them much later.

I don't know much about the RB in the 3rd round, but my guess is that he spells the end of Cory S. (not even going to attempt the last name).

I think Bryson will move to FB. He's a much more versitile back with great quickness and good hands out of the backfield (let the team in rushing and receiving yards a few years ago). He's also a very solid blocker, which would allow him to make the transition to FB full time (a position he's already played when Sledge was hurt).

As much as I love him, Cory just doesn't fit the Martz offense. He's getting slower, older and more injury prone each year.

With no 4th rounder we grabbed a Olineman and a CB in the 5th and 6th, but I don't know how much of an impact they'll have.

I'd have to say this was a very average draft for the Lions. We could have done much better, but only time will tell.

Its not looking very good for any compensation for Joey. We'll be lucky to get a 7th rounder for him, if anything at all. If we haven't gotten anything for him by the end of the draft, we should just release him and be done with it.
  20. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Might take some heat for this suggestion.

How bout taking a chance on Marcus Vick. He even said he'd be willing to play special teams or receiver.

I mean why not, we have a "no non-sense" coach, maybe he'll work out w/ him. He has all kinds of talent and ALOT to prove. If he acts up at all in camp we can just cut him.

What would we have to lose? He'd just be a 7th round pick.