Off-season review - Cleveland Cavaliers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jul 30, 2009.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think that Cavs' goals here are pretty clear. Ferry spent some significant time on the FA market signing a couple of solid role players in Parker and Moon and made a big noise trading for aging, but still effective Shaq. However, all these moves do not guarantee a championship. If Cavs and Celtics remain healthy throughout the season, I like Boston's chances better with their strong defensive play lead by Garnett and addition of experienced and still skilled Wallace.

Many Cavs fans can point to addition of an effective big to add to big Z and a solid guard in Parker along with Moon, who would be a great addition to Delonte West and Wally and plug the holes in the roster. They could point to the fact that Cavs had the best record in the NBA. But it looks like potentially Boston looks stronger, and looked a lot better against Magic in the last play-offs.

Back to Shaq. Ferry gave up ineffective Wallace, Pavlovic, along with a 2nd round pick and cash considerations to get him. Shaq had a very solid season with Suns, at least it was better than the previous year. But is he the player that the team needed? Can he lead the Cavs to the promise land? Is he better than Ilgauskas at this point in his career, which is clearly in the sunset stage? Will he play a big enough role on the team that has LBJ?

I guess these questions will be answered when the games begin. But by the looks of it the answer will most likely be "no". Sure, Shaq is still big and scary to play against, but the league has enough young and talented centers who can effectively play against Shaq. You have Noah, Love, Jefferson, Horford, Bynum (not the infamous 3-point shooter), and of course dominating Howard, who was stopped only by Lakers. And nobody can guarantee that Shaq and LeBron could get along character-wise along with Shaq considerably slowing down with age. He can keep up with the fast-break, but he won't have enough to be able to consistently participate in the fast-paced offense. On the other hand, Cavs don't play the run-n-gun style, so if O'Neal can accept a secondary role and get out of LeBron's way, Cavs may be able to fight for the championship.

2. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

I don't think Shaq will help the Cavs enough to get them over the hump. On paper it looks great, but its not going to work. With the way Lebron plays having Shaq in the game will only tighten up the middle making it harder for him to use his charging bull technique to get to the hole. Hell he'll be lucky if he doesn't run into Shaq half the damn time. There are gonna be a lot of close end game situations that are gonna have Shaq sitting on the bench so there is some room in the paint for Bron to work. And you all know there is only so much of that that Shaq can take before he starts complaining about touches and not being in in crunch time, especially if its a playoff game. As we saw in 2004 chemistry matters, and this team will not have any by the playoffs.

The only way I see the Cavs making this Shaq deal work for them is if they trade him before the deadline as a 20 Mil expiring to a team looking to dump salary for next year. If cleveland is lucky they will be able to do a trade that gets them a quality starter.

Besides even with the changes I still see the Celtics as a better team. Although since it looks like they might not bring Big Baby, or Leon Powe back, one injury to there front line and they are going to be struggling to get out of the first round again.

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're forgetting something, though - with Shaq in the lane in crunch time, the Cavs don't have to run the "Lebron drives on everyone" play every time. Every title that Shaq won, he had an athletic dominant guard/forward that could drive the paint and draw the foul. I think we are looking through our Pistons red-white-and-blue-colored glasses in underestimating the Cavs this year.

I love your reviews, Mik. You have been churning out some great analysis lately. Keep up the good work!