1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Offering front office job to current player

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jul 18, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't understand how the Pistons can offer Lindsey Hunter a front office job while he is still playing with the team. That doesn't seem right to me. Is that legal according to the CBA?

If so, what is to prevent the Pistons from offering Bonzi Wells a $1 million contract with a promise that they will hire him when he retires as a team consultant for $10 million per year?

2. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

they can't and didn't its a verbal agreement only. but i think dumars and mr. d will do it when the time comes.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I guess technically, someone could make a fuss. It was premature to announce that.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. They should have kept their little secret in-house. I like Lindsey, but I think knowing that he is a future member of the Pistons staff gives him a different status than the other players.

5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Maybe that was the intent. Make sure that people listen to Lenz.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Co-Captain maybe?

7. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Definetily.

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Wasn't this done before with Isiah or Dumars? I also thought some other players were given verbals to work front office.

I don't think it was premature ...by the time it was announced to the public just about everyone on the team would have known the scoop. If it was kept under wraps, the players and staff would either know or have a good idea that it would work out that way.

Is there really a conflict of interest? Maybe you could undermine the cap by promising a front office job so that a player would sign for less money during their final years. Hopefully someone will have a definitive answer.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

He could also be a player/coach... however it still counts the same on the cap.

10. roscoe36

Here is the deal. If we prove that the Pistons did something sideways, they could lose picks. So I'm not in a big rush to prove that, even if it is only posted in our little corner of the internet that Chris McCoskey reads. ;)

Players are not allowed to hold playing / coaching-front office etc. positions simultaneously. This conflicts with the CBA because only the player salary counts against the cap.

One would assume that LH will not be a player when he joins the front office, and thus not subject to the collective bargaining agreement as it pertains to players.

The concept of a "promise" is covered in the CBA FAQ

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#22

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#23

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm pretty sure they can coach and play at the same time... however front office positions could be taboo... unless they changed this in the new CBA.
    Never mind... just read your link... looks like it has been changed

Dang this new CBA is screwin' me up... I'll have to join you down the "Geek" rabbit hole.

12. roscoe36

Bring your tinfoil hat with a candle perched on the bill.

I've read the FAQ front to back dozens of times and still only get 70% of it.

13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It should be all good. An agreement would have to violate the integrity of the salary cap. Is there something that talks about a loyalty clause? If you offer a FO job to a player so they don't bolt in their final contact to a higher paying offer...you are not violating the cap right? I mean if karl malone wants a shot at a ring and take a vet min. Its his deal. Its not like they agree to a min deal with a balloon payment verbal in a few years. :confused:

14. max

max All-Star

They did the same thing with Dumars. He actually played for less. Someone would have a hard time finding proof that Hunter took a pay cut to stay here.

I like the move. Hunter is a great locker room influence and really helped calm the troops back in 04. He should be good in a front office position.

Could Dumars be grooming his replacement? I had read a few years back that he was estimating that he would stay for about 10 years. Its been 6 already.