1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Official 2007/2008 PF.com Fantasy Hockey Talk Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by jammertime, Oct 5, 2007.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I REALLY hate Tatering. ESPECIALLY during the playoffs. If you want any chance of winning against your opponent that is Tatering, you have no choice but to do it as well.

It completely explodes the roster that got you there and leaves 100 guys on waivers at any given time.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, just voicing my 2 cents. Unless there's a reasonable transaction limit in place for next season, I think I'm going to have to sit out next season. It really sucks all enjoyment out of it for me.

(Wow, this post really sounds negative, whiny and ultimatumy. That wasn't my intention at all!)

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I can understand how you feel. I honestly see both sides of the issue and don't want anyone to leave over a setting.

I'll probably end up being Commish next year, although I'll happily defer to anyone else who wants it. But if I am Commish, for sure I'll put a limit on the moves. No more than 65...I do want people to have roster flexibility, and to be able to "Tater" now and then, but it should eliminate the playoff problems. If enough people think 65 is too many, we can lower it further a bit.

So if a guy sucks and Taters early to get in, he won't get far. If he's good and needs to Tater later...so be it. Is that reasonable?

3. jammertime

Who am I kidding, I'm a fantasy whore. I'm sure I'd be playing next season either way, especially since hockey is probably my favourite fantasy game.

In a perfect world (for me), I'd like to see 40 -50 max moves. But I'm sure that's a bit low for most people's liking. Fifty moves would work out to an average of about 2 moves per week (assuming a team goes all the way to the finals). Exactly half of our current teams would be under a 50 move limit as of right now (with Roscoe just slightly over with 55 moves).

I find that the lower the cap, the more strategy that is involved. "Do I use one of my moves for short term gain", "Do I use them early to try and get a strong start", "Do I save them for the playoffs", "Do I hang on to some in case of injury", "Do I hang on to a few incase someone I really like gets dropped" etc. etc.

Our current league is really polarized as far as # of transactions goes. Four teams are well over 100 moves, while 5 teams are under 50. Number of moves isn't a factor in standings either, with 2 of the +100 teams in the top of the league, and 2 at the bottom.

I smell a poll coming on!:pound:

I'm sure I'm in the minority in my thinking, but that's ok. I'm Canadian! :MusicBigGrin:

4. Darth Tater

No more than 55. Fair enough Cannuckian? Just remind me next year...

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bill is the commish. Why can't he set his roster right again?

I'm willing to be understanding of his mistake to preserve the integrity of the championship...

6. Darth Tater

It crossed my mind earlier, but I think to be fair to everyone the Commish (me) can't get involved when somebody makes a mistake. It would be different, if say, his wife got mad and released all of his players. But something like this...we all make mistakes throughout the season. This one is of a different nature, but I just feel that the commish getting involved would be wrong.

Personally, I'm not going to pick up any of his players. Not because I'm a nice guy, but because I have nothing to play for. So why bother? I can't expect people playing for something or with high waiver priority to feel the same way. If an individual feels it's wrong to grab a guy Bill dumped, then he can pass on the waiver, or even try to get everyone to agree not to touch them. I wouldn't feel right asking people to do that under the circumstances. I'm not even sure Bill would want any "special" treatment.

I'm not trying to be cold. I feel bad about it. When I saw that I was like "Oh Sh.." But I do want to be fair, so I think staying out of it, for me, is best.

7. roscoe36

Oh yeah, you're the Commish. I forgot.

Bill is screwed. :gun1:

and Tater'd. :rofl:

8. jammertime

Live by the Tatering, die by the Tatering I say! :stirthepot:

I feel bad for Bill, but not bad enough to not use my #2 waiver position to take a stab at one of the best players in the game. After all, I am in the middle of a battle for 3rd place! :gun1:

Now if there was a transaction limit in place this season, this would have never happened....;)

9. Darth Tater

I was one doggone week away from getting through a rookie commish controversy-less season! :pound:

10. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I didn't know the finals lasted two week either. Then when I recently found out that it did, I saw Bill let go of all his great players. I don't think it's fair to use them, so I think I will pick them up on waivers (if no one else picks them up) and drop them right then without using them so nobody gets to use them.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The thing that prevents Tatering in baseball is the weekly setup of lineups. Would that make sense for hockey? If not, I wouldn't have a problem with a 40-50 limit on roster moves next year, if I play again.

12. Darth Tater

We could do that, but in hockey you have the injury factor to consider. I think limiting roster moves should do the trick.

13. roscoe36

This is not up to you.

Rosters should be locked at playoffs start IMO.

14. Darth Tater

I don't think we've ever done that in any of our leagues before. If we decide to do it, I think it's something we need to agree to do prior to the beginning of the season.

15. jammertime

While I can understand that in theory, the problem for me is, where do we draw the line? Are all players that are on waivers now off limits? Obviously I don't think Bill would have dropped a guy like Kovalchuk or Heatley had he realized that the championships went 2 weeks. As I'm sure that there were moves that you wouldn't have made as well. However, Bill has made 18 additional transactions (a combination of adds and deletes) since he found out about the 2 week championship.

Maybe the fairest and easiest solution at this point is to just lock all rosters where they are now. Since I don't think that anyone (myself included) realized that it was a 2 week finals that is still playing, everyone was affected equally.

Thoughts?

My only issue with that would be injuries. I agree that playoff rosters should be locked. We should "dance with the one's that brought us" so to speak.

Perhaps we could add an additional roster spot or two that would help to offset the risk of injuries during the playoffs? That way the rosters could be locked but we'd still have some added depth to plug into the lineup in the event of injuries.

Just a thought.

16. jammertime

I had a waiver claim on Heatley, but I just deleted it in the spirit of fairness. I think that either Bill should get him or no one should.

17. roscoe36

You want an injury issue? I'll give you an injury issue!
    :gun1: :messer: :fight2: :deathstar1:

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was hoping to pick up Kovalchyk this morning, but I see he is already gone.

Out of desperation, I'm just trying to make up for my stupidity at this point. In the future, I actually like Roscoe's idea of locking the rosters for the entire playoffs.

19. Darth Tater

Talk about injuries. My stud catcher and starting 2b guy go down with opening day injuries. Freakin' Opening day! On a Monday so I can't even take them out of the lineup for a week.

Well, who cares:ohwell:...you're going down anyhow Mikhail! :6shoot:

20. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Since I was the one who originally called Tater on his roster moves last year during the finals, I find all your suggestions helpful.

I would vote for a modest limit on transactions, say 50-60, since I only made 30 some this year. THEN, I would vote to lock the playoff rosters as Roscoe suggests. In the event of an injury, the commissioner, in his wisdom, could grant that team an additional player who would remain on the roster the rest of the way.

That way, if your goalie got hurt during the playoffs, you could pick up another one, BUT you wouldn't be able to swap him out during the rest of the playoffs.