OFFICIAL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Apr 29, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

I am opening up a general playoff thread mainly for other teams. Post whatever you want about any games you see. Note - we do have a unique thread for each Piston game under Piston Playoff games. I am hoping this can be for all the other teams.

SAN/SAC had a nail biter. They definetly topped their last game with a sequence of events starting with an Artest block on Ginobili and ending with a Ginobili TO giving way to the rookie Martin putting up a layup with it literally bounding around on the rim as the game clock ended. Does not get much closer than that. That series could easily be 2-1 SAC ( if Barrys last sec 3 in game 2 did not bounce in ) or 3-0 SAN if Martin was a sec too late or the TO did not happen.

I am hoping for a LA-LA 2nd round matchup at the Staples Center. Same stadium. LA won and are up 2-1. Still not over but LA seems to have the experience factor with Kobe carrying them through. Most credit Jackson for making Kobe a team player ( must have happened overnight ) but its the playoffs. Kobe has been here before and knows what it takes to win. Reg season was volume shooting - this is the playoffs.

Chic/Miami. I really want Chic to win that series but the Mimai's experience will probably put them over the top.

Dallas/Memphis - tell me when its over and Dallas advances.

Indy/NJ. I really don't care who wins that one. I still think NJ will. Last time NJ was good their playoff series usually were down to the wire. They always found a way to win. Unless they were overmatched.

Clev/Wash. I am slightly pulling for Wash but can live with Clev. I think Clev will be easier for the Pistons to beat as long as Lebran does not get bailed out by the refs. Wash is hard for us to defend.

Post whatever playoff content you want here. Hopefully we can keep it going and active so it does not get buried.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: Playoff Thread

As much as I hate to admit it (since I picked le Wiz), LBJ earned the accolades last night. Yeah he still led his team in turnovers, but he just would not be denied on his way to the hoop. That last basket, on the way down, was pretty amazing. Of course, if Arenas had hit the wide open three with a couple of seconds left, the Cavs would still have lost.

Wiz win the next two.

My predicted LA-LA conference semi is getting closer.
  3. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

While Lebron did do the four step, Arenas still had the wide open j and missed. What a finish.
    I don't see how the Nets can win that series, because the Pacers actually are outplaying them at the Point. And, given all the distractions, most everyone has written off that same Pacers team that has been dogging it all year.
  4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

SA is looking a little discombobulated...Duncan finally had a dominant game, and Finley was both productive and clutch, but Ginobili struggled, and Parker got badly outplayed by Bibby. I wasn't sure the Kings were doing the right by not fouling on that last SA possession, since the shot/game clock difference was only about 3 seconds, but it sure worked out OK for them.

LeBron took a few extra steps on that last drive, but the finish was amazing. The man-to-man duel with Gilbert down the stretch was great, and it is pretty surprising that the Cavs pulled it out, considering how little help LeBron was getting on offense. Hughes sure did f$%@ that defense up on the last play, idiotically leaving Arenas wide open to double on Jeffries(!?), but Gilbert just couldn't get that one last shot to fall, in spite of having hit a lot of big ones already in the 4th.

The Lakers are looking good, I've got to hand it to them. Phoenix is displaying very little heart, and Phil's recognition of the Suns' inability to guard anyone (plus his convincing Kobe of that fact) has helped everyone else on the Lakers to get involved.
  5. dba

I think the Nets will come through, though it might take them seven. It's best two of three now with two in New Jersey (I think). Especially if Peja drops out for another game or two.

Then, they take out the Heat...
  6. max

max All-Star

I have to pace myself on weekends so I am not in front of the tube all day. Today I am going to watch the Pistons and Clipps/Denver after that. Looks like Memphis may win a game.
  7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Things are going pretty much as planned. Except the bump in the road experienced by the Nets and Suns.

The Pacers may not win another game. They blew it by losing today. Phoenix better have taken note and not blow game 4 or they are done. No way Kobe allows the Suns to come back from a 3-1 defecit.

Did anyone take the Lakers over the Suns? Me neither....

The feel good story has got to be the Clip`s out West. I am happy for them and wish them well. Remember all the talk of Kobe joining the Clippers during the offseason? They would be favored to face the Pistons in the Finals if that would`ve happened. Once they get by the Nuggets only God knows how far they might go.

Lastly, the Wiz. I really don`t like this team, however, I admit they do have talent. The fact that Gilbert Arenas could be so much better than he is but seems to have his own agenda. This series is turning out to be Lebron vs Arenas. You have two young guns, the annointed one, the other, a selfish egomaniac battling it out. Why don`t the other 8 players just sit and let them go at it, why waste time!

Enough of that series, here is the kicker. Dallas is for real folks, barring injury they will take out the Spurs in 5.

The two big D`S in the Finals. Will be a good`n as they say in Dallas!
  8. max

max All-Star

Clipps take a 3-1 series lead and are 1 game closer to the Hallway series at Staples as long as the Lakers hold up their end.

In watching them the Clipps are a solid team. They have a realistic shot of making it to the Finals. Probably will not quit get there due to inexperience but I do expect them to roll through the 2nd round ( even if its PHX ) and at least get to the West Finals. Clipps are a tem for the future. As long as they can keep it together. Even seem to have a solid replacement for Cassell in Livingston.

Remember Maggette missed about 2 months so that hurt their record in the reg season.
  9. dba

Well, yes actually. It is going to be an LA - LA second round. The Lakes were just playing too well the last month of the season to ignore.
  10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I wanted to pull for the Griz but its looking bleak. Dallas is rolling along.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If the teams that are winning in their series hold on it will be a great semifinals.

• Detroit vs Lebron and the cavs
    • Miami vs NJ
    • LA vs LA
    • San Antonio vs Dallas.
  12. Dlev59

I am sitting here watching the Miami Heat unravel. Wow what will happen during this offseason? They may still make it to the second round, however that`s where their season should come to an end either against NJ or Indiana.

Don`t look now but how does another Pacer / Piston playoff battle sound?

Back to the Heat, Payton and D Wade arguing, Posey and Haslem getting suspeneded a game, Shaq having probably his worst playoff game ever, they are through.

Pat Riley should fire himself at the end of the year. Or perhaps, completely change the roster once again and perform at a lower level next year.

Kobe & Phil seem to be doing just fine without Shaq, that should bother him, however, his body can`t respond to make much of a difference with the Heat.
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't see the game, but let's go Bulls! I don't think I can seriously expect them to win this series yet, but they're playing with house money now, and the Heat are going to be under intense pressure for Game 5. By the time that game rolls around, they'll have had more than half a week's worth of losing on the court, with open warfare between some of their guys on the sidelines, and nothing but intensely negative coverage and question marks from the media. It would be pretty sweet if they collapsed under the weight of all of this.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The Bulls should be done now than Chandler is out... at least they stretched the series out.

I still can't decide who I want to win in the NJ/Pacer series...
    for some perverted reason there's some sympathy for Indy...
    NJ could be a difficult match up down the road because of Krystic... with his out side shooting he can draw Wallace X2 out of the paint area which opens up lanes for Carter & Tiny Ears.

Yeah Max, that LA hallway thing would be fun to watch... I would definitely be rooting for the Clips (step child syndrome).

Who woulda thought that Denver would look like such a mess... Kiki really looked like he was pressing all of the right buttons... now he's stuck with big contracts (wait till Melo re-signs) and being forced to move Kenyon "the gimp".... I wonder how well Nene will come back next year.

In a way I want to face the Wizz... even with their luck against our team they are the most undisciplined selfish team in the playoffs.. they've got our attention.
    Although Cleveland can defend a tin can with hockey pads.
  15. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, I figured they'd put up a fight (I picked the Heat in 6, I think). Since Chandler is out they don't have much of a shot winning another game.

I'd much rather face the Pacers. I think we would have an easier time w/ them. NJ will give us much more problems with the big 3 plus Nenad looking better and better.

So if we face the Pacers I'd say we'd finish them off in 5 or 6. Versus the Nets, it might go the distance.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It certainly doesn't help that Malik Allen is a complete bum. I'm kinda impressed with how well Sweetney has played. He's learning to use his size whenever it favors him.

The Bulls might have had a chance even with a gimpy Chandler but watching that game today brought two things out for me.

1. Miami has zero chemistry and Wade/Payton arguing is a sign of trouble. The Glove = team killer?

2. Chicago could be really good if there guys besides Nocioni (and to a lesser extent Hinrich) had any basketball I.Q. They didn't play very smart or with much composure. Simply the benefactors of Shaq getting killed with fouls in a tightly called game.
  17. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Sweetney has always looked like he had some game to me, but he's just fat. I dont see why he can't get into shape. I guess its a better body to throw at Shaq though.

That injury looked pretty bad. He might come back this series?

You're right, but I wouldn't say its because of a low bball IQ more towards lack of experience. They're still very young. And you forgot about Deng, I think he's a big part of their success along w/ Hinrich.

That being said, the Chicago Bulls look like our future competition in the EC. Especially if they can package one of their young players and a pick or 2 (remember they'll most likely have a top 3 pick this year from NY) for an all star. Which I think they will.
  18. Dlev59

Ok, Lakers up 3-1, wow, much props to DBA for taking LA over the Suns. There is no way Kobe will allow Phoenix to come back, even if he has to go for 100 points!

A thought came to mind at the end of this game. I am not much on the conspiracy theory of the NBA fixing games, however, if the Lakers would make it to the WCF, and the Heat make it to the ECF, the media and NBA would be salivating over a Shaq vs Kobe Finals!!!!

There might be some strange happenings in those two series, and we shouldn`t be suprised at all.

Stay tuned............
  19. max

max All-Star

Dlev - I would not worry about any conspiracies. Even if the league were capable of it now would not be a good time. With the recent steroid and NCAA crackdowns congress would love to parade in Stern co. to defllect some of the heat they are under with fuel prices.

Also Riley had a good plan back in the summer of 04. What happend to his plans were the Pistons. His recent moves backfired but he almost got Elton Brand for this season.

Merc - I will also be pulling for the Clipps. Iteresting to see what team gets more fan support. I would suspect the Clipps will get the shortend but they have a better team and will win anyway.
  20. max

max All-Star

Wiz win 106-96 to tie the series.
    http://www.nba.com/games/20060430/CLEWAS/boxscore.html

Good job Wiz. Lebran was called for 4 offensive fouls. Perhaps under more scrutiny for the non-called travel at the end of game 3 which helped Clev win. Wash came back from 13 down with the help of I believe 18 4th quarter points by Arenas.