OFFICIAL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Apr 29, 2006.

1. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I know people complain about the refs, but has anyone considered the possibility the league is trying to extend the playoffs and get as many games as possible?

I've never seen such stretched out schedules before. Nor so many games on national TV. Of the 32 games so far, 27 or so were on national TV. That is insane, and its only the first round! Longer series = more games = $$$$.

Heat up 2-0, Shaq in foul trouble games 3 and 4, result 2-2
    CLE up 2-1, bron actually called for fouls in game 4, result 2-2
    Pistons up 2-0, ben in foul trouble, result 2-1
    Lakers up 2-1, Kobe in foul trouble, pulls off miracle up 3-1

Not to mention the questionable calls around the league. You hear about these conspiracies theories, and obviously they can't be blatant about it. But subtle things here and there pile up and build momentum in another team's favor.

We all like to hate on the heat and spurs, but in the west the 1-8 matchup is 2-2, the 2-7 matchup is 1-3, in the east the 1-8 matchup is 2-1 (so far), 2-7 is 2-2. Either these are the most talented group of teams in the playoffs or the worst. Last year no 1st or 2nd seed took longer than 5 games to dispose of their opponent. This year, PHX will lose, Heat could, SA has been outplayed in 3 of 4, and Det lost a lot of momentum in game 3.
  2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you're paranoid and creative enough, one could think that this league ain't about sports. The surprising tripple double in LBJ's first game. Kobe deciding games in a way Jordan or Bird did. All the elite teams struggeling (Spurs, Pistons last game, Heat) against much weaker teams.
    On the other hand, it's fun to watch and, with Hamilotn's ankle injured (he still doesn't walk like healthy) and the big loss the day before yesterday, I'm even more glad that the Heat are far from sweeping.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Spurs had a tough time against Sac in the regular season when 'Reef played well. Something about Abdur Rahim, he causes Duncan fits and Horry can't cover him.

The Pistons are their own worst enemy and the Heat, well, they are the Heat. Bandwagon vets (Anderson, Anderson, and Payton), bandwagon fans, and bandwagon results.

We've got the NHL playoffs going on in Detroit right now, and there are always lots of upsets in the first round. In fact, the #1 team in the regular season may be eliminated tonight in 6 games. That's what parity does to a league.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It is so much fun to watch the Heat self destruct. My incredibly bold prediction is that no team with Gary Payton will ever win a championship. The Heat will probably pull this out, but it will take seven since they are not going to win a game in Chicago. Then let the Nets chew on them for a while.
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That started happening several years ago, I think at least 5 or 6 seasons back. The first round got stretched out to get all those games on national TV. It's only the first week, actually, when all the series are guaranteed to be going on. Once the second week rolls around, i.e. now, I think every series is on an every-other-day schedule. Maybe it's just a little more noticeable this season because of the unusual number of first round series that have been competitive so far.

I didn't see Spurs/Kings last night, but for anyone who did, would you say the Spurs were deflated from losing Game 3 like they did? We saw the Pistons fail to show up in their Game 3 because they thought they didn't have to, but obviously the Spurs have known they're in for a tough time with Sacramento ever since Game 2. Was it just a case of not bouncing back from losing Game 3 after being only a few seconds away from going ahead 3-0?
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think it was more of bad match ups than anything else...
    Bowen is not strong enough to slow down Bonzi or Artest in the post... these guys are starting to demand a double team.... this is opening up opportunities for other players... I've never seen the Spurs defense look so feable... as several player are driving to the rim uncontested.
    They're also having a hard time stopping Bibby on the P&R.
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Certainly the Pistons were lagging at the end of the season, but the lowly Kings won one more game than the Pistons in the last two months of the regular season. This 26 up and 30 down team won 18 and lost eight towards the end. If they had played the same all season (with RR of course), they finish third in the West.

Same by and large true for the Lakers. Both these teams came into the playoffs in the right way.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I still can't believe the lakers won, wow. Down by 5 with 10 seconds to go. Sucks for Nash though because the ref couldn't hear him calling timeout. Kobe and Lebron ave been the best in the playoffs so far. Even though kobe is averaging 15- 20 less points he's getting the team to work.
  9. roscoe36

I want to sleep but this Spurs Kings game is amazing. WOW.
  10. max

max All-Star

Suns force a game 6. Hoping for the Hallway series in LA but Its not over until its over.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dwayne Wade commercial-

Fall 7 times, get up 8.

Does that make sense in any way? Shouldn't it be fall 7 times, get up 7?
    What am I missing here?
  12. roscoe36

Ah yes, the phantom 8th get up. Another NBA/Sprite/Nike/Adidas/ESPN conspiracy.

Maybe the message is that even if Dwyane Wade wasn't knocked down, he will get up. He's a whore for getting up. The male spokesmodel for people on the floor. An icon in an age of belly flopping no talent paint drivers. The president of the NBA floorshine business. The Czar of wax jobs.

The Mr. Miyagi of violent flopping (fall down, fall up, fall down, fall up). A phoenix in legwarmers. A slam dunker with 8 lives to give. A PhD in Geology listening for the sounds of Shaq's game.

Can you get brain damage if you don't eat? I think that is what is happening to me.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think it just sounded good and nobody bothered to check to see if it made sense. Now they are stuck with it.

The only other slogan that bothered me as much was

"Think different" by Apple. Shouldn't it be "Think differently"?

It is tough speaking fluent Inglish sometimes.
  14. max

max All-Star

At least Wade actually gets sent to the floor most times he is fouled. AI sometimes slips on invisible bannana peals and the nearest opponent gets pinned with the foul.
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Hold up on that Hallway Series...Tim Thomas' super-clutch 3 got the Suns into OT, and now they're up 9 with under a minute left. Lakers are going to have to win Game 7 in the Valley of the Suns to advance...gonna be an awfully tall order.
  16. roscoe36

Suns Suns Suns. Wow. They just took over in OT. Diaw, Nash, Thomas and Marion.

It's 120-111 57 seconds to go as I write this.

Kobe is yelling at Devean George right now.

Kobe makes a 3.

Barbosa fouled on the inbounds, Suns run off a lot of clock, Parker had to foul Nash for 2 FTs. Best FT shooter in the NBA....

120-114

makes both.

122-114

Kobe just hit a long three, bank shot off glass. Crazy. 122-117. Nash pushed out of bounds with the ball on the inbounds.

Shooting 2.

124-117, makes both. 29.4 seconds to play.

Kobe misses a 3, that loser Barbosa just fouled Devean George on a 3. 3 FTs to come. Makes 1 of 3. Lakers foul Tim Thomas on the rebound.

124-118

TT makes both. 126-118, 18 seconds to go.

Odom miss. Nash dribbles out the clock.

3-3, back to Phoenix for Game 7 on Saturday.

Nash 32 points, 13 Assists. TNT Closer of the Game.

Looks like all of that Game Chat play-by-play typing is paying off. LOL. The human telestrator.
  17. max

max All-Star

The Suns still shine! Now they have the momentum. Nash's 32-13 performance as Roscoe stated. 50 point career playoff high for Kobe. Both stars showed up but the Lakers could not get Kobe the ball in the last 2 plays of OT.

I thought the Suns were done but they decided that they were not going to lose this one. Lakers show their inexperience and lack of size. As if the Suns have any but at least they can grab a board when they need to. Suns also hit ( I believe ) their last 13 free throws.

Being down 1-3 is bad. 2-3 is not so bad ( Pistons have been in that spot twice over the past 2 playoffs ). 3-3 is good if you are the home team and the Suns are going home.

Are the Lakers done or is Kobe only human?

Looks bad for the hallway series. Lets see if the old saying "The better team always wins a 7 game series" applies this Sat night.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just thought that I would point out that the Bulls paid Tim Thomas the same amount that they paid Hinrich+Nocioni+Gordon+Sweetney+Deng+Duhon this year. Mo-rons.
  19. roscoe36

Holy Cow. I was prepping images for Det Cle and it looks like Was just tied it up at 107!
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Go ahead and do your preparing Bro. Do you think a Lebron James led team will lose a game 7? In Cleveland?

That`s if the Wiz can hold on to get this win. It aint over yet!