Official trade thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

We should send Nazr to Phx for Marcus Banks and one of the Jones' on there roster and just buyout Flip Murray.:nerd2:

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:whoo::party:

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Totally agree.

Out of all the troubled malcontents out there, Davis would be the worse pickup out of all of them. This idiot was actually hating on Lebron in Cleveland. Was he in some cave the couple of years before the "chosen one was drafted"?

If you looked up selfish in the dictionary his picture holding a basketball has got to be there!

Hell=to=the-NO....to Ricky Davis...

4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You'd probably also find a picture of him under 'sideburns'

5. linwood

linwood All-Star

:pound::pound:

Those chops are pretty outrageous. A couple years ago, he really looked like a cross between Tupac and Jesus.

Ricky Davis is a pretty talented player. Although he certainly isn't a model professional, I think his antics are the kind of thing you could get under control if he played for a veteran team. Davis isn't a malcontent or a loose cannon, (Artest, Jackson) he's just a clown.

6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

No, Ricky was not hating on LeBron James. He was hating the Cavs organization.

Many forget that the year prior to the one with the LeBron situation Ricky signed a contract with the Timberwolves, at which time he pretty muched begged Cleveland not to match it.

They matched out of spite, and had every intention of only trading him away once the opportunity presented itself.

As far as I'm concerned when you do something like that you are asking for trouble in the lockerroom.

7. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I would love that trade. I think Banks could fit in, but I really doubt PHX would want Nazr. He's too slow for them and his hands are like butter.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What we do with the two picks really depends on the financial position of the team for next year.... If we assume the lux threshold to be close to what it is this year we would have roughly 14M in team salary available (assuming Chauncey opts out).... if we make another assumption that CB will re-sign for 10-12M next year that only leaves apprx 2M available... this is without Acker or Amir in the fold.... so it's likely that we could not take on larger salaries for draft picks & D.D.'s exp contract.
    We could take on a player that was in his 2nd or 3rd year of his rookie contract that was a #18 or higher pick (rookie scale).... we wouldn't have to worry about having to resign him next year for a larger amount.

I'm less concerned about the rookie pulling splinters out of his ass his first year because of the D-league... BTW, what is taking so damn long getting our own dedicated D-team???

One thing we can be sure of is that there would be major roster changes if we don't come out of the East this year... you don't keep swimming in circles with the same guys that didn't get it done... especially when some of the key pieces are on the decline.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Detroit needs another piece to be beast in East
    January 29, 2007
    BY DREW SHARP
    FREE PRESS COLUMNIST
    Didn't the plan this season revolve around cutting back on Rip Hamilton's and Chauncey Billups' minutes?
    Their legs were as flat as their jump shots when the Pistons hit the skids in last season's Eastern Conference finals. Flip Saunders burned them out. But he swore the lesson was learned. He would develop trust in a bench this season that would subsequently decrease the unnecessary extra minutes that the All-Star backcourt logged last season.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Drew speaks the truth here and is preaching the same thing that most of us have been saying. Why go to the finals to be swept out by the Suns, Mavericks or either of those other two teams in Texas or that one in Utah that has our number? Those legs of Rip, CB and Tay are heading for another burnout courtesy of Fliposphy.

The problem is that Joe is going to have to go beyond Flip Jr and Nazr in offering trade bait to get that additonal decent perimeter scoring threat. Hope whomever they are they aren't afraid to penetrate either and can play the point.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The results are in... this current squad does not have the ingredients to have playoff staying power.... We see it and Joe sees it.
    We can call it a variety of reasons but it is what it is and a change or two is required.
    Needed:
    Interior defensive presence
    Inside scoring
    A PG that can get inside and finish or set up
    Perimeter defender
    Another wing player that knows how to finish.

I believe Dre was mentioning that we may have to look beyond just the guys we want to dump (Nazr & Flip)... if the best offer we can get is Jaric then his assesment is accurate.

Other medium assets that may be part of a package:
    Delfino
    One of our 1st rounders (preferably ours)
    The Minny second round pick
    Dale Davis (Mr D may object)
    Maxiell

If the Sporting News report has any legs we would have to do better than just Nazr for Brevin... Knight only has a two year deal.
    We would likely have to take on one of their undesirable contracts (they only have one)... Othella Harrington 3 years at 7M total (team opt on 3rd)
    Nazr, Flip & Minny pick for Knight & Harrington.

This isn't a big shake up that may be required but it addresses one our primary needs.

If we trade Nazr we have no centers signed for next year (unless you think of Sheed as a regular center).... this could effect us getting Amir re-signed next year.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If the results are truly in, so to speak, then shuffling bench pieces for more bench pieces is a complete waste of time.

We have bench pieces in Maxiell, Davis that are underutilized and Hunter/McDyess that are entrenched through seniority in the rotation.

Joe bought himself some time by signing Webber. Now he has to act.

This team either needs an enema, or a concise financial plan to retry next year.

That front line needs to be assaulted if we really want to see some change. Someone will have to move if any tangible change is going to take effect. Or the coach will have to be fired, but that is strictly a band aid unless the next guy in has some STONES to make tough decisions.

Who is our most movable front liner? Tay? Rip? Sheed?

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is possible that there is no trade out there that would enable us to win the Ship this year. If that is the case, then you have to make more patient moves.

I think that even if we add a backup point guard and a great 6th man, we will still probably lose to the Western Champ. I felt that way last year too. If you gave me 100 to 1 odds, I still wouldn't bet $10K on us winning it this year.

Watch a couple Dallas/ Phoenix games. These guys are relentless. They are interested every single game. Their leaders (Nowitski and Nash) are always pushing for more.

Like I've said before, the only way we beat them is if they suffer a major injury. You think Flip Saunders is going to discover a way to beat them in the film room? We don't exactly have Bill Belichick coaching our team.

We can wait for a team like Minnesota or the Nets to fall apart and try to pick up their pieces... become opportunistic vultures and try to win it in 2008. Plus by then we'll have this amazing 1st round rookie that won't be a bust and will come out of the gates firing on all cylinders!

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

You know I won't lose a minute of Sleep if Sheed is moved... we can get his type of production from Amir.
    If Sheed was a consitent playoff performer I would think differently... but his ball don't lie.

The Knight thing is just a stepping stone...

Giving up Tay or Rip would be pretty drastic.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well it is time to stop kidding ourselves. This is an uber smart basketball community. Readers and posters. Not a lot of pie in the sky thinking punctuated with heavy doses of sneaker worship.

That said, we all know what a very good ball club looks like, and on observation, as my compadre would say, "my own lying eyes", these guys ain't got it.

Heart, passion, teamwork, cohesiveness, attitude, drive, hunger, selflessness (not to be confused with unselfishness which has become the status quo).

You aren't going to straighten out the sideline, bench and starters by switching the 8th man. That's the same BS we saw last year with Tony Delk.

Unless the coach is willing to play Brevin Knight 30 minutes and bring CB down to 25 when he is having an off night, we're just kidding ourselves.

It doesn't matter how good the guys on your bench are if they don't actually get to play, and the starters are entrenched between 35 and 40 minutes no matter how poorly they play.

Now it would be great if we had a leader (*cough* Ben *cough*) who would get mad and raise a little hell, but we don't. We also have a coach who doesn't have that type of approach in him.

Now maybe you can gamble on Knight providing what I like to call "the Arroyo Effect" whereby CB feels the heat on his hind parts and finds another gear.

But this is two years late. This all seems too much like 1992 for my liking. Our players have become extremely fatigued and slow.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We were having this same conversation before we acquired Sheed... but we were younger and had better defensive tools/coaching back then.
    I just don't want Joe to sell the farm for a one year fix... if he can remove a big contract to improve next years chances that would be fine...

To get out of the box a bit... what if we moved Sheed for an expiring and a pick... then we didn't sign CB.... that gives Joe all kinds of options to reload.

17. max

max All-Star

I think are Starters will be ok if we make some changes on the bench. Hunter and Dyess should not be automatically handed minutes.

If we can get someone who is capable of having some big games that would make a huge difference. Billups played 42 mins last night on the 1st of a back-back.

18. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons have a very talented squad but they don't play D like their life depends on it. Also the players on the bench just don't seem that engaged in really being cheerleaders and bringing the enthusiasm for their teammates. I sure hope Joe makes a few minor trades before the deadline but I don't see Sheed going anywhere this year. The starters play way too many minutes (sounding like a broken record here) and Flip just is not going to break out of his boring mold and shake things up. Why the same five starting five when it's obviously not working that well. Put Maxiell in the starting line-up or Delfino and sit Sheed or Rip and see what happens. The Pistons just have a lot of bad habits and slow starts are killing them. Joe needs to trade for a high energy guy that can offer some leadership with the 2nd unit.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well this is the same team that beat Dallas in Dallas... we have been close in most of our losses... maybe we are not too far away from the Suns (lack up size) and Dallas (what are they lacking again? lol)

What would a backup PG that could give you an extra 6 pts and some better team play do for us?

I'm just not buying this extra gear thing for the playoffs... they said they were motivated tonight.

I would prefer not to blow things up (major player movement) this year... but I don't think of Sheed as a "major player"

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

There are lots of good points made in this thread, some heavy stuff to ponder really.

Normally, I would point out that what is being said of Dallas and Phoenix was being said about us last year. We won the Pre-AllStar Championship. Look where it got us.

Fact is, I would wager a heavy amount of cash that at least one of them is going to get upset come playoff time.

But back to our team....

The thing that has bugged me this year is how many times I have watched the closing seconds of a losing game and thought to myself "The other team just wanted it more."

That is completely unacceptable, and perhaps a major overhaul is the only option. Perhaps it should have been done last year this time, we would have had Ben as an asset.

Or perhaps Larry Brown was on to something when he approached Joe and Bill right after winning the 'Ship with a list of players he wanted to move. Everyones value was at it highest at that time.