Offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 21, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Man, That's right... how does Walsh/Bird justify this to their fans...
    This team could go from the Penthouse to the Outhouse quickly.
    Sounds like they're trying to do a S&T for Harrington.

2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Big Ben 4 years 48 million by his own Detroit Pistons? Yikes.

Seriously, Peja? For that money? Gimme a break.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Free agency is not when teams typically "bargain" shop. You want a name in a weak FA class, you gotta pay.

4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

But I don't understand, Roscoe. Really. You say above that free agency in a weak FA class is not when teams bargain shop. What do you call our offer to Ben if that is so? Even if it's all we can afford, when you line it up with the above two offers, isn't it a "bargain" relatively speaking? And wouldn't our offer be perceived that way by all the other market players?

Is Ben less valuable to us than Sam is to Clippers or Peja is to anyone? It looks to me that we are lowballing Ben big time here, no matter what the reason.

I mean Cleveland just offered LeBron $75 for 5 years. Peja gets $64 million? I don't get it. Maybe he's better than I thought. Perimeter shooter that doesn't play defense. No. I don't get it. Way too much. That's almost as much as AI is getting right now if I read the RealGM site correctly. What's next? Ray Allen for $100 million?

5. roscoe36

Actually, Ray Allen signed a 5 year $80 million contract last offseason. :laugh:

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Centers come at a premium. Chicago really is not over paying especially if they feel that Big Ben is that piece that will take them back to the top of the East. The Pistons are thinking that maybe this team has hit its peak and might be on the decline so they don't want to tie themselves down to a contract that they can't get out from under and ruin the future.
    As far as Peja goes he is being over paid but given New Orleans cirrcumstances they have to over pay to get anybody to come there since the city is still recovering from Katrina. Also Peja will be going back out west where defense is not really stressed as much.

7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Bobby Jackson agrees to terms with the Hornets, which probably takes Speedy Claxton out of their plans (and into ours).

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Bobby Jackson and Peja to New Orleans? Wow, New Orleans looks to be pretty serious about improving their chances for the playoffs.

9. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

If that's what Joe and/or Mr. D. are thinking, I think it is a huge mistake. The Pistons are just not that far from their championship peak of 2004, and the window of opportunity to win another title is open right now. Who knows what the team and the league will be like in three or four years? All kinds of things could happen--the Pistons might be nowhere near seriously competing for a title in three years, and a few million dollars of extra cap space for a couple of years might not help any.

$15M is not overpaying for Ben. It's a lot of money, and will eat up cap space and tie Joe's hands to some extent, but look at who else is getting that kind of money. $15M is market value for Ben in today's NBA.

Pay up or put on the teal.

10. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

A 4 year $48 million contract for ben seems about right, you just have to watch out for other teams giving him more towards $15 and $16 million a year. I would stay that way and says it up for ben to decide. Then work on other free agents like bonzi and speedy claxton

11. bezeach

What do you guys think of Al Harrington, would he have a chance at becoming a piston? Ben to Atlanta? I hear Atlanta has enough Salary cap for Ben, but I don't know if it would work out or even be a possibility.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Its going to take some work though. There have been no updates yet and its really annoying me.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It depends if Ben was going to walk anyways... you have to believe that Al would sign for considerably less than Ben (8M first year)... We'd have to look at the numbers but I think that would give the team more than the MLE to sign anorher center.

14. roscoe36

Bump for updates to first post.

15. bezeach

Old news, Lindsey Hunter resigned with the pistons, I acutally thought he was going to retire. That's good that we have him for defensive reasons though (which we will need a lot of)

16. bezeach

What about Stevenson from the magic? I haven't heard anything about him? I forgot he was a free agent. Orlando wants to keep him though, and detroit doesn't have the money for him...

17. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Tyson Chandler is going to the Hornets for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith, says Marc Stein. Does this mark the official end of the KG to Chicago rumors?

18. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Don`t know if this has been discussed, been away a few days, is Speedy Claxton still available?

19. roscoe36

Gone. :doh: You can check the first post in this thread. All of the reported deals are listed.

20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Damn! Well there goes my Harrington and Speedy bench..........:mad: