1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Oh no, could it be Zo?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Jun 29, 2006.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you're right. Zo comes on the floor, blocks a shot or knocks somebody done and he's in like Flint.

Could be some thowing up into beer cups during player introductions though.

2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Can't let Ben walk. Need to get him to do a sign and trade. If he walks the Pistons do not get an exceptions for his salary slot i.e. we would still only have an MLE and change and couldn't sign a big ticket player.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur Motown...remember when Ben showed up 5 years ago and nobody knew who he was??/ His intensity was an instant fan favorite and the next statement was Grant who????

4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I to would join the vomiting crowd and would literally puke my guts out if Zo came within a 50 mile radius of detroit.

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, but "nobody knew who he was" and "nobody likes him" are two different things altogether.

6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd jump on the Zo bandwagon- the problem is, I thought this team would change the philosophy from getting aging vets who want to jump on the contender bandwagon towards getting hungry guys who still have lot to prove.

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good question. My impression is that Zo would play hard if he were where he wanted to be (not Toronto or NJ). There is a lingering question though about his fire and hunger with that rock hanging on his finger. If this really is the "do what's right for my family" contract (i.e., make as much money as possible), will that fire still be there?

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yep, what Dre said. :nod:

9. armygirl

Come on Guys, Zo hates Detroit and anything remotely resembling the Pistons. It would be a dark day in you know where before Zo comes to the D.

He hated the Pistons when he was with NJ and the hatred grew even more when he went to the Heat.

Zo was in it for the ring only. He won't play hard ever again. You can take that to the bank.

If for some very remote chance Zo comes to Detroit, I have nothing for the man, in other words, he gets absolutely nothing from me. He could get a triple double every night, hang from the rafters after a windmill dunk, kiss everyones behind in the arena, propose to my sister, marry my mother and bring an end to the war in Iraq, I have no love for the man.

He is the only player in the NBA that makes my flesh crawl. I would take three Ron Artests.

Alonzo is very cold-hearted and self-centered. I had two encounters with this guy in Washington D.C.

Once at a Georgetown game, he was sitting in the arena before the game started, this little kid, no older than 5 or 6 asked him for an autograph. He told the kid to "get lost", the kid asked him again and he glared the little boy down. Both myself and the people near me really ragged him about this, he totally cursed us out and left for the locker room.

I knew the person who eventually became his PR person, she used to talk about how rude he was, and she was trying to develop ways to help his image because needless to say it had taken a beating.

Trust me the guy is abrasive and very, very, arrogant. I thought maybe the medical issues would have mellowed him out a bit. It's endemic with this guy.

10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can't stand Zo and I would have NEVER wanted him on the Pistons.... until this thread.

As much as I hate the man, I think he's EXACTLY what we need. Although, it would have been even better had he not finally found his ring.

A bonefide Centre. A mean MoFo. A tenacious defender. One of the best shot blockers in the history of the league.

And since I'm sure his evil snear and flex pose aren't going anywhere, I'd much prefer he was doing it as a result of a play FOR us, not against us.​

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Claude Lemieux, Bill Laimbeer, Chad Johnson, Kenny Rogers.

Hated, but wanted.

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah if the Pistons or mavs had stopped him from getting the elusive ring, we would get a hungrier ZO. Like jammer and armygirl stated, he's got a ring now, so the intensity could possibly be only 75% of what we saw in this years playoffs.

The other scenario is sure he would like another ring, but would he rather help the Heat repeat or lend his skills to the Pistons, Mavs, or Spurs to help them get the ring. All three could use him.

13. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

First, your list of all the wonderful things he could do without swaying your opinion is very funny. But now to the substance of your post: Isaiah Thomas and Kirk Gibson were also widely regarded as arrogant and abrasive. Gibson was known to have rude encounters with fans (to be fair, he did mellow and change somewhat over time). But both were great players and I was glad they were wearing Detroit uniforms. I feel the same way about Zo. I also think you have to admire the guy's heart and commitment; it is the rare player who would come back after a kidney transplant the way he did. Interestingly, I've read that Shaq disliked him a great deal when he played against him, but developed a very favorable view of him once they became teammates.

14. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

And while we're at it, let's add Rick Mahorn to that list.

15. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

i Could Get Over Hating Zo If He Was Our Thug.. He Would Make Sheed Look Like An Angel.

16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I once read Zo has had a bad childhood and he lost his parents or so. He also does alot of charity work off- court. Somebody told me he lived in Germany for a few years when he was a child, is that true?

17. armygirl

I would probably boycott the Pistons and follow the Lions, Tigers and Red Wings until his tenure came to an end in Detroit.

No, he doesn't do a lot of charity work here. The charity work he does was implemented by his PR person in order to change his image.

Yes he was adopted but that's no excuse for being a you know what.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

He can call Zo a thug and you can call Laimbeer a thug but Laimbeer never tanked a season. Zo...
    There is a big difference between what a guy can do for you and what he will do for you.

19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

one word: no

20. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Zo will be most interested in whoever can pay him the most. Now that he has the ring, it's time for Mourning to make sure he can feed his kids. :eyebrows: