OK Joe...Jokes Over. Trade someone, seriously

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

ok, anyone bring up TMac and his contract? Do an AI deal for the end of the year?

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You talkin' bout getting AI back?

3. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

McGrady ??

ANOTHER SG ??

NO, please.

And he has NO DEFENSE

That is what we need right now.

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I would hope like heck that the Pistons could put together a package that would bring [strike]Tracy MacGrady[/strike] Tracy MacGrady's contract to Detroit. Having that big chunk of change coming off of the books next year would be downright transformational to the Piston franchise. His cap space along with a lottery pick in next year's draft would set us up for the next 10 years.

WHO CARES if it's a bad fit this year and we already have a roster full of wing players. We ain't gonna win ANYTHING this year anyway!

I say send any combination of Rip, Tay, Max, Stuck, etc. for the rights to wipe 22 million off of the books this off-season while securing a high lottery pick.

Tank the season!

No Sacred cows!

...and yeah, I know, It AIN'T gonna happen.

PS. (for the record, I can't stand T-Mac and would feel nauseous having to watch that jerk in Pistons gear.

5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

AND..We pick up a bona fide PG. I like it.

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Houston is in desparate need of a good SG. They'd be interested in Rip. Rip would fit well with their system when Yao gets back with his giant screens. Both Rip/Yao are half-court offense players so they would complement each other well.

Hmm, this is promising. Let's continue. Other than Rip, who else would they want? They have a pletora of SF and PFs and nobody we have is an upgrade over what they have. Our rookies don't make enough salary to work the trade. They might be interested in getting Kwame for a 1-year rental as that would give them a big guy until Yao comes back next year and they can stop playing a 6'6" Chuck Hayes as center.

So, Kwame+Rip makes sense for Houston. That still leaves the trade unbalanced though. The ideal scenario for us would be to add Prince to that equation. A Kwame/Rip/Prince for McGrady trade works money-wise. However, T-Mac's expiring contract is really attractive for a lot of struggling teams. We'd have to throw in picks or JJ to sweeten the deal for the Rockets. I'd hate to let go of JJ, but if that means unloading both Prince AND Rip, in addition to getting lots of cap space to sign a top FA, it might be worth it. It's a gamble, but we ain't going anywhere as constructed.

If Joe D. can pull off that trade, we have:
    Stuckey/Gordon/T-Mac/JJ/Wallace
    with Bynum, Daye, Summers, Max, CV and Wilcox coming off the bench for the remainder of the season, which I like.

For the summer FA, we'd have to go after a premier big man or two. The possibilites have already been mentioned hundreds of times: Amare, Bosh, Boozer, David Lee. As luck would have it, those guys are the most likely to switch teams this summer. LeBron or Kobe would never come here, nor would Wade. We'd have a lot of competition for the rest. I'd love to have Joe pull off a blockbuster deal on draft day that involved a top FA and a great PG. Something like signing Bosh and Amare and then packaging one of them with Stuckey to Utah for Deron Williams. Yes, a pipe dream, but hey. One can dream, eh?

Now, there are rumors that Knicks are going after T-Mac. They don't have much better talent to offer the Rockets as they probably won't part with David Lee. They could swap unwanteds with Knicks sending Robinson, Curry & Darko over to Houston (the salaries match). But none of those players help the Rockets. Let's not forget that whoever gets T-Mac's contract would have to give up talent. Otherwise the Rockets can just sit on it and use the cap space themselves.

7. BallDon'tLie

IMO, the Rockets should either:
    1. Park Tracy's butt on the bench for the rest of the season and deal with the fallout. Maybe play him enough to keep the Player's Association off of their back. Let him walk at the end of the season.

2. Let T-Mac have his wish and play him 48 minutes per game until he gets hurt again and the problem takes care of itself. Let him go find other employment at season's end and rebuild your team.

If they trade him now, they're not gonna get anything decent in return. Unless NO wants to punt for financial reasons and give up CP3, I'd hang on to T-Mac for the duration so you have more options going forward.

No contender would want the guy.
    Houston is going nowhere with or without him this year anyway. Might as well build for the future.

8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, but I think that $23 million they will get in cap space at the end of the year is probably a lot more valuable than anything they can get in a trade.

9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd say Houston is giving him spot minutes in order to generate some offers and see what they can get for him.

But yeah, they have no real urgency to trade him unless it's an offer they simply can't refuse.

They will need to re-sign Scola, so some of that cap space will go towards that. I think $6-7m is a reasonable amount for him.

10. BallDon'tLie

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying.
    If they stick it out with T-Mac until the end of the year, they'll have way better/more options than taking a package like Rip, Tay, J-Max, Kwame and the rights to Trent Plaisted.

I read some article on Yahoo (one of those fantasy hoops updates I think) that MacGrady is DONE as a Rocket. He's been sent home by the team and they're shopping him.

11. webz

Yeah I've seen that too. I'd say they are window-shopping. McGrady has requested a trade and the Rockets have said they'll 'try'. But I don't believe they'll trade him unless its for someone they really like. They have no obligation to him at this stage.

McGrady and Rockets to part ways, seek a trade | NBA Basketball | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Find out who they like and somehow get Rip involved in the process, I don't know how, or care who, but Rip is $12.5M worth of contract that needs to go.

13. webz

The Rockets just don't seem to be very good trade partners for us right now. It's going to be very tough trading Rip to them if T-Mac is not included (and I don't think Rip is enough to entice them to give up T-Mac's expiring contract). They just don't have any other large or bad contracts for us to take back, so it's gonna have to be draft picks included as well most likely if its ever going to happen.

But you never know. Rip might be attractive to them. Ariza and Brooks are their high-volume shooters right now, and that is not something that's going to work for them long-term.

Ariza is shooting just 37% and Brooks 43% from the field. Ariza is more suited to a complementary role as a 3rd or 4th scorer and his major funk he's currently in should be telling the Rockets that quite firmly.

If T-Mac is not involved, the only other player combination would be something like Rip for Battier and Brian Cook. But I don't have any idea whether the Rockets would want to trade Battier. I myself don't rate him, but his contract would be off the books after next season (Cook's this season).

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Naw Webz, I'm talking about a 3 or 4 team deal that sends Rip out of Detroit in exchange for an expiring. For example, Bird is looking to make moves in Indy, but only if the contract expires by Next summer (2011)when Dunleavy and Murphy fall of the books.

15. RipJr32

RipJr32 Second Round Draft Pick

The way I'm looking at it now, I see both Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince gone by the end of this year. I know that Joe has been looking at Chris Bosh and Carlos Boozer for a while now, and I think that getting rid of Tayshaun and Rip will give him the room to sign those two.

16. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Out of boredom here are a few trade scenarios to consider and discuss:

Detroit/Toronto

Detroit
    Outgoing: R. Hamilton SG
    Incoming: J. Calderon PG, R. Nesterovic C

Toronto
    Outgoing: J. Calderon PG, R. Nesterovic C
    Incoming: R. Hamilton SG

Detroit/Washington

Detroit:
    Outgoing: R. Hamilton SG, C. Villanueva PF
    Incoming: A. Jamison PF, B. Haywood C

Washington
    Outgoing: A. Jamison PF, B. Haywood C
    Incoming: R. Hamilton SG, C. Villanueva PF

Detroit/New Orleans

Detroit
    Outgoing: K. Brown C, R. Hamilton SG, C. Villanueva PF, J. Maxiell PF
    Incoming: D. West PF, J. Posey SF, E. Okafor C.

New Orleans
    Outgoing: D. West PF, J. Posey SF, E. Okafor C.
    Incoming: K. Brown C, R. Hamilton SG, C. Villanueva PF, J. Maxiell PF

Thoughts?

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Like the Tor deal, if they lose Bosh, what is their contingency plan, to build around Bargnani?

The Wsh deal I like, but Roscoe said no trading for vets on PF.com [​IMG]

New Orleans would never take back 3 long term deals even if they could get rid of Posey's contract.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No trade will make us a better team with the current coach.

This coach has made decisions detrimental to the team starting with the last two games of the preseason, where he unwisely chose to start whittling down the rotation before the season even began - basically sending a message that no development was going to get done under his watch.

Then we have a bunch of injuries - which it has been hinted has been due to a new type of shoe being worn by many of our players. In any case, gee, now Kuester is playing young guys. Something positive.

But this positiveness has positively stopped. Soon as the vets came back - healthy or not - the idea of playing young guys went straight back on the shelf. Yeah, JJ is playing - out of position at power forward - for a spell - but I doubt that will continue much longer.

Our problems pretty much stem from bad coaching for the most part - and a GM who decided to hire his buddy Atkins. Kuester does not get all the blame, just most of it.

Insisting we can't do well unless Kwame plays, when the fact is Kwame does not help us win games but once in a blue moon. Believing that Chucky Atkins can still play the point, when he simply can't on either end of the floor. Playing guys like CV when he is positively not ready to play. Unable to keep Rip's minutes down as per the plan in his first comeback attempt. Playing Rip in garbage time when the ankle injury occurred. Playing Tay minutes he can't handle (avg. 38 per game in first 3 games which occurred in four nights.) Leaving Wilcox out of the rotation when he is our only real post threat. Most recently, getting Tay back and starting him when he was not ready to start - while moving JJ to power forward where he lacks the size to compete well. (Leaving us with no backup small forward - going small ball instead - even though with the guys coming off injuries, there was no rush at all to get them back up to starters minutes.

The Pistons can win games. They do have the talent. But they need a coach who will play players who are capable of playing. Capable of winning.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

All I'll say about that is Pops would have a hellofa time getting this roster in the playoffs.

Another perspective:

"The pistons inability to score at the moment has very little to with having or not having a "play-making, pass-first" point guard.

You have to understand that if you get the other team to miss shots and then rebound the basketball it makes you a much better and more efficient offensive team (by leading you to fast break/easier/higher % shot opportunities). Defenses are no longer able to set on every possession.

By being unable to defend the rim and having your opponent take advantage of this by scoring at a high % in the paint (and also getting to the free throw line more) thereby lessening your chances at rebounding the basketball you are putting your offense in spots where they have to score in a half-court set each time down the floor.

Somehow the pistons are finding it difficult to score consistently.

During the last 4 games the pistons opponents have shot .512 from the floor which is just about as bad as it gets. Over their last 9 their opponents are shooting at a .496 clip which puts them at the level of a golden st. warrior basketball team (ie. the worst defensive team in the league).

Once the team starts finding guys that can defend the rim and rebound they'll start scoring more due to the shot opportunities it creates."

Opponents hitting over 51% ?... now that's a winning proposition!
    Totally agree about improving our defense (every aspect) leading to better O efficiency.
    Ben needs help... not getting it from Wilcox and the matador we call CV...
    The P&R defense also needs to be front and center on the priority order... pitiful

20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Not in the Leastern Conference.