OK Joe...Jokes Over. Trade someone, seriously

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Oct 19, 2009.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And I think the defensive drop-off from BEN to Kwame is even bigger- this from a Kwame Fan too. I look at Oak as a young Ben in terms of rebounding and shot blocking. For this team, I think if you can nab Oak by only giving up Kwame and Max ($9.1M) you gotta do that, especially when it only adds another $1.5M to the payroll. I honestly think that New Orl's would entertain Kwame+Max+1st rd pick, I think they'd bite on that, saves them money this year and next year; and gets them outta Oaks contract, it also gets us out of Max's deal (who I think would flourish playing with Chris Paul in New Orleans).
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My concern with Okafor is his durability. I'm not sure he is a franchise player, but he is a great complimentary big man. Oke and CV would be interesting to see.

And yes, I like Kwame too, but unless he takes the same # of big steps from last season to this season, his ceiling is still too low to be an NBA starter on a very good team.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Silvertongue has formed different opinion. From his mailbag:

4. roscoe36

Langlois conflates a low soft cap number with a hard cap in his response. It's a clever misdirection.

The only reason why the Pistons would be unable to pay Stuckey or Bynum, is that the Pistons choose not to pay Stuckey and Bynum.

If we add Kwame (needs to be resigned in the offseason, presumably for more than Max makes now), Max and a MLE, we're talking about $4 or $5 million more than what Okafor will make.

Langlois' math is bad. By his own logic, the Pistons should trade for Okafor, but not keep Kwame, Max and spend the MLE.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:goodstuff:

They keep lining 'em up, Roscoe keeps knocking 'em down.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How many Silverdomes could the Pistons buy if they didn't have to pay all of these basketball players?

The answer is about 100 per year. If we would have started accumulating Silverdomes in 2005 instead of wasting our time in the ECF, then we would have almost 600 Silverdomes right now that could house 48 million homeless people per night. Surely we could get tax free status with that plan and probably take in some donations too.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Everything should be measured in Silverdomes...they're more solid than the dollar.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Insert inflation joke here.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Deflation too :D
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He's not a franchise center by any means, and if you're looking for one of those, you'll be looking for a long time. As I've stated many times before you can't trade for those types of Centers, you have to draft them, hope they pan out (Darko didn't) and then hold on to them. Oak is probably the best Center that is even remotely close to being available and that's only because he just happens to have too big of a contract on teams that really are in dire financial situations right now.
    Kwame seems to have taken some steps back, he's still not horrible-servicable in fact, but If you can turn Kwame into Emeka, you HAVE to make that move.
    Yeah I read that article and just shook my head in disgust, signing Oak actually ALLOWS you to keep Will Bynum as we'll shed Maxiels $5M off the payroll, then that still leaves us well under the Lux Cap......What, does he not know how long we've been doing this.....R-E-S-P-E-C-T, that's all we want around here, please don't insult the intelligence of PF.Com
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Buncha jokers. :pound:
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

They give you more flexibility than Capp Spayce too.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm ready to skip some of the minor things confronting the team (Jerebko, Summers etc) and focus on the "next step"

It would seem like the best option for Joe is to build via trade... I'm not feeling the MLE or a mid draft pick turning our team into contenders for next year.

There will always be teams in a panic mode to take advantage of... or a team on the cusp of playoff excellence willing to take on a vet.

Not that we're gonna get someone like Okafor or Kaman for Kwame and Max... but there should be some creative opportunities available.

I'm a believer in picking up a large expiring that can be parlayed into a tangible asset... McGrady comes to mind... forget the injury history... it's not about this year anyways.
    Timing is the issue... for example if you were to snag McGrady within the next couple of weeks he could be tradable again just before the deadline.
    Do you think that a lotto team would not deal their pick and a decent talent for McGrady if that assured them two of Bron, Amare, Wade or Bosh?... The Nets, Knicks, Kings, Clips, Bulls come to mind... The Bulls would have to subsitute another young player like Deng instead of a pick.

Pistons get a high lotto pick and a pretty good young center (one of Jason Thmpson, Brook Lopez, Ty Thomas, David Lee, Kaman)
    The point is we can capitalize on the big FA crop without landing one of the big four.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think that is the most realistic strategy for us.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I have mixed feelings about this team, part of me says, move Rip and Tay so we can get on to the "next step", another part says, how do you know what the "next step" really needs to be until you see what the total team loooks like. The "next step" is different when you're a 36-46 team vs a 41-41 team vs a 46-36 team. It's tough to see what we really need right now and what we should be willing to part with in order to get waht we need to take the "next step".

I'm also not sure that if we were to get an expiring contract, that we wouldn't just end up in no man's land as far as cap space is concerned. Example: We move Rip, Kwame, and Wilcox ($19.7M) for T-Mac($23M), but nobody takes the bait and bites. So next season we are know under the cap by $19M, but if the cap drops, that $19M is somewhere between $14-$16M; but we'll want to re-sign WillBynum, maybe offer BEN a contract, now we're down to $7-$9M with a roster that looks exactly like it did MINUS Rip - before we started all of this, with a marginal amout of money to spend.

I honestly think that our best bet is to ride this season out as is, unless something really-really-really good comes along. Once it becomes clear that certain teams with cap space are not in contention for one of the marquee players, then we can move Rip and/or Tay for that lottery pick or solid player that we're looking for. By then we will also have a better barometer of this team, we will also have a better barometer of the draft prospects too, to see if they're worth it.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Now KG we both know you ain't gonna be satisfied just "riding this season out"... you're prolly on the trade checker as we speak/type lol... status quo ain't in your blood bro.
    Besides who would I scheme with?

I like the replacements we already have for Rip & Tay (Daye & Gordon)

Now how bout that deal for Oak?
  17. roscoe36

Besides, you guys rode out last season. ;)
  18. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I didn't want to hijack Laimbrane's thread with trade proposals, so this one is getting reborn.

Two young PG's I mentioned were D.J Augustin of the Bobcats and Sergio Rodriguez of the Kings.

Here is a scenario for the Bobcats:
    RealGM: Trade Checker

Detroit
    Rip Hamilton - $49.6m over 4 years
    Chris Wilcox - $6m over 2 years (PO)

Charlotte
    Tyson Chandler - $24.6m over 2 years (PO)
    D.J Augustin - $12.5m over 4 years (Rookie contract)

Chandler's 2nd year is a Player option which he will undoubtedly pick up. Hard to tell whether Wilcox would pick his up. Might depend on how things go in Charlotte.

Why?

For the Pistons, we unload Rip's contract, unclog the problem at SG and trade away our oldest contributing player.
    We acquire a young PG, filling a need at that position. All indications are Augustin deserves an opportunity and could become part of our future. Limited risk as he is still on his rookie contract.

For the Bobcats, they unload Chandler's albatross of a contract which has 2 years to run. He is injury-prone and probably will never get back to his production levels he had in NO. Rip will re-unite with LB and slot into the SG position.
    In a weak East they should make the playoffs. Something this franchise desperately needs to do. For the owner, the fans, and the city. They have one of the lowest attendance records in the league. Rip should be able to play off the other starters quite well. Wallace and Felton don't need a lot of shots. Rip should be close to leading the team in scoring.
    Their starting 5 would be:
    Felton, Hamilton, Jackson, Wallace and Nazr. Diaw and Wilcox off the bench.
    I don't think they'd need a PG in return having Acie Law, Flip Murray and S-Jax all capable of running the point, but Atkins can also be thrown in if they request him.

There have been grumblings from LB about Augustin and the word is he doesn't like playing him much. Jordan seems to be the only one left on the Augustin bandwagon at this point.

Concerns?
    For the Pistons, this is all about dealing Rip and achieving greater balance.
    Secondly, we acquire a promising PG.
    Sure, Chandler isn't great, but with only 2 years left on his contract it's digestible for the greater good. He will be coming off the books just as the Pistons should be on the way back up. If he plays, that's a bonus. He would start and provide some defense and rebounding.

For the Bobcats, Rip's contract isn't great, but he would be their only player making more than $10m. The rest of their starters apart from Felton are locked up long-term so they don't have any issues with needing to save space to re-sign players. Felton wouldn't be a major loss for them anyway and may be hard pressed to get a better deal elsewhere.
  19. roscoe36

Continuing the eclectic nature of this thread, I have a question.

Is plantar fasciitis code for slow of foot?

If so, it is unlikely Charlie will ever recover from this devastating condition...
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Maybe they do that trade before they signed Jackson, but not now. Plus the way Joe screwed MJ on the Rip/Stack deal then again with the Nazr deal, Jordan won't even take Joe's calls anymore.