Okafor traded to Hornets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 27, 2009.

1. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For Tyson Chandler. And here we thought New Orleans was trying to reduce their payroll...

AP Source: Bobcats, Hornets swapping centers - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

does that trade change anything for the Hornets and/or the Bobcats in hindsight of their rosters or cap situations?
  4. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

This trade makes the Hornets roster better and cap situation worse, and the exact opposite for the Bobcats. Considering the states of both orgs I don't get it, I would of thought this is exactly the opposite of what each org wanted to do.

I just can't stop myself from thinking that there has to be some more players involved or teams or something.
  5. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

That sucks. Tyson Chandler is the one center I thought we could still land. I don't understand it though. I thought NO was trying to improve their salary cap.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Okafor earns more than Chandler?
  7. webz

Not this season, but Okafor has 4 more years left on his deal after this season. Chandler will just have 1 if he picks up his player option (which he would be stupid not to).

Okafor - 5 years @ $73.2 mil
    Chandler - 2 years @ $24.6 mil

NO will be handcuffed with that for quite some time. They must like the idea of building around Okafor and Paul. If Okafor can shake his injuries it could work out.

I would have thought keeping Chandler would have made more sense as his, Peja's and Mo Pete's contracts all come off the books at the same time, shedding themselves of nearly $35 mil for 2011-12. David West also has a player option for 2011-12 which he would likely opt out of to chase more money.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This one seriously chaffs my ass... I ain't gonna rationalize or try to explain the logic.. Joe shoulda played all the cards to swing a deal if Oak was available...picks... expirings... photos of LB... promises to support N.C.... whatever

I'm pissed.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Some time has passed and I'm still pissed... we could've picked up Chandler for expirings and fluff... and we couldn't swing a three way for a solid defender (who's not an offensive liablity)... pffft
    I've been a Joe diehard but this is hard to swallow.
  10. airmcnair06

airmcnair06 Second Round Draft Pick

I agree. I'm not really pissed like you are, but I do think Okafor would make us a contender for years to come.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I couldn't avoid commenting on this trrde.
    Co-signed.

Co-signed.

So much for the no bigs are really available theory.
  12. max

max All-Star

Makes you think. We had a couple of expiring contracts for this year not 2 years out. Unless they really like Chandler.
  13. webz

What about Okafor though? He isn't the cheapest Centre going around, and he has had plenty of time and opportunities to establish himself in this league but for whatever reason hasn't.

I mean his numbers are respectable. He is a good defender, rebounder and shot blocker. And he seems to have shaken his injury label having played 82 games the past two seasons. But his numbers have been declining those two seasons as well. Running out of gas over the course of a full season? What about the extra games required of a long playoff run, could he handle it?

Has this guy reached his full potential? Or is it the Bobcats team that is holding him back? He is currently giving you 13 and 10 with nearly 2 blocks over 32 mins. At his salary and contract length he should almost be your franchise player, or at least the number 1 or 2 player on the team. But is he really good enough that your franchise is built around him?

Personally, I'm not sure. Isn't that how he is with the Bobcats right now? - yet look at their records. He would be a very expensive complementary player if not.
  14. max

max All-Star

Good point when you put it like that. Have to keep in mind that CV is only a fraction of what the other guys cost and he has a lot of upside..
  15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    How do we know what Joe could've done? Anyone has any inside info on this?
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Personally, I never understood the fascination with any of the Bobcats.

Player Comparison Finder - Basketball-Reference.com

Per 36 Wilcox gives us nearly the same performance, for 1/5th of the cost.

We'll miss the shot blocking for sure.

The price might have been to steep. I wouldn't be surprised if LB wasn't interested in Rip, Max, Kwame or Tay which means Joe wouldn't have been able to put a package worth having together.

@Merc, Joe ain't dun yet. Give him until February. No one is making trades from hurting financial positions yet. Everyone is letting uncertainty rule, and allowing indecision to hold the line right now.
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Stat Pack: The Chandler-Okafor Trade - Hornets247.com

Stat Pack: The Chandler-Okafor Trade
    The casual fan will look at the raw numbers, see that Okafor has career averages of 14 ppg, 10.7 rpg, and 1.9 bpg and compare that to Tyson Chandler’s 8.2, 9.0 and 1.4 and assume that the Hornets had gotten the better of this deal. Even if you pick out individual best seasons, Tyson’s 11.8, 11.8 and 1.1 doesn’t really match up with Okafor’s best season of 14.4, 11.3, and 2.6.

That’s not an accurate representation however, due to Tyson’s exceptional defense, but at least offensively, it is a true statement. So first let’s take a look at the offensive numbers. For those of you who don't care about the numbers that much - skip to the end to get a summary.
  18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

yay... If Joe hadn't given Rip that extension, you can bet they would take an expiring Rip and Kwame for Okafor and Raja Bell.

Now... We're stuck with Rip, No Center, and a 58M dollar BACKUP!

Awesome.
  19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Nobody knew what Ben Gordon will do. The fact that he agreed to sign with Pistons was for me pretty big surprise.
  20. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Not nearly as big a surprise as the Pistons, whose leading scorer for the better part of the last decade plays SG, having interest in Gordon without having a taker for Rip.

Of course Gordon was going to sign when the Pistons offer up $58M. By all accounts, the Pistons were the only team with interest anywhere near that number. It makes his last few years of rejecting sizable contracts look like a smart move (one that usually doesn't pan out), so it was a no-brainer.