Okafor traded to Hornets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 27, 2009.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I refuse to get too upset about this until somebody shows me some sort of solid proof that Joe had an offer on the table that would have gotten us either of these guys.

The Bobcats didn't just get an expiring contract here, they traded a big that LB had soured on for another big who just happens to be the same age and potentially held in better regard by the coach. We sure as heck didn't have that to offer.

So why all the fuss? So far I've heard of Joe turning down just two offers this year. Both were from Boston and both were trash.
  2. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Very strange trade in my opinion. Not sure that these players are different enough to really improve either team. Both players are underperforming their large contracts so far in my opinion.

In terms of the Pistons making a move, first of all I agree that we don't know that Joe didn't make an offer. Secondly, I wasn't aware that we were looking for a bigman with limited offensive skills and production whose game is mostly rebounding and blocks and is very overpaid.

I would think a sign and trade offer for David Lee would be more prudent at this point. I think his production would be similar but in this FA market his value has dropped and could likely be signed to a more reasonable contract. I'm not sure if Lee is available or if Joe wants him though.
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee makes no sense; he's a rebounding machine that hustles. Not a great shot blocker. This team needs either a really good C or stays with the front court it has and adds another decent big to play some minutes. The Wilcox signing makes me think JoeD really wants that 3 SG experiment. Hate it.
  4. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

I gave up faith in the per 36 or 48 when Darko never developed. He was suppose to avg. like 15 ppg 15 rpg 8 BPG. OK exaggerating a little bit, but you get my point. However, I do think he can return to his once high numbers. If only Kwame could get some hand implants. If they can make your penis bigger, why can't they give Kwame bigger hands? I know he has enough money left from being the number 1 pick.
  5. Blue

According to ESPN.com's last season stats, Okafur had 1.66 blocks per game, Chandler had 1.24 (in only 45 games because of an injury), and Lee only had 0.27 bpg. Next year, Okafur will make about $10 million and Chandler will make about $12 million. On David Lee's bio page, it says Portland is considering offering Lee a contract of about $2 million per year.

Are we really willing to take on an extra $8 to $10 million per year for about 1.4 extra blocks per game? Maybe Lee will sign for more... but certainly not $10 million.

Look I'm not trying to say specifically that Joe should run out and get David Lee, that Okafur and Chandler are bad players, or that we don't a need hustling, rebounding, shot-blocking center.

It's all about the contract. You can't pay 20-25% of your cap to a shot-blocker and expect to be able to acquire enough talent to win a title.

In 2004, Big Ben made an MLE type contract, which is much more appropriate.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Speaking of Lee..here is his report card from knickerblogger.net:

2009 Report Card: David Lee | KnickerBlogger.Net
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Cosigned. Expirings and fluff? That's not what this trade was about at all.
  9. coynejeremy

Yessir! Tyson Chandler is not fluff (or an expiring). Although you have to wonder if New Orleans thinks he is a ticking time bomb. It's like they're playing hot potato with him lately.
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

John Hollinger is calling it an even swap:

TrueHoop By Henry Abbott - ESPN

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't know Merc, I feel you, but then again.......If Kwame can give you 7&7, and Wilcox goes back to the 13&7 Wilcox, then that means we are getting 20&14 for $7M, can't beat that. I know there are alot of If's in that equation, but they're not huge IF's.

But one has to wonder if Kwame+Max could've landed us Tyson, who we could've sent to Char for Oak, leaving us with Oak and Wilcox at the center, hmmmmm....... I just don't know........... I know I'm a little off in the head for this but: I like Kwame, I really like Kwame, :nerd2: I believe the difference in production between him and Oak/Tyson is marginal, and we get it at a savings of $8M/yr.:nerd2:
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Larry Brown Wants Tyson Chandler to Play Power Forward -- NBA FanHouse

Brown told reporters he'd be using the 7'1 Chandler as Boris Diaw's back-up at power forward.

the team's defense performed quite well under Brown, finishing No. 7 in the league. Yet Brown's explanation for this unthinkable move is that ... Chandler's versatility will help in defending power forwards. Or, in other words, Brown thinks making Chandler Diaw's defensive-minded platoon partner will take the Bobcats over the hump. Because interior defense is the problem.

Brown might be the first person to call Chandler "versatile." He'll probably be the second, third and fourth, too, as he attempts to blame another Bobcat for this
    brilliant plan's failure. (Expect that to happen sometime in, oh, November.)
  13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Poor Diaw. He at C is as "good" as "too small luggage" here at PF.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No nono. He wants Chandler and Diaw to play PF.

Oh man, I love LB.
  15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Diaw played Center for Phx when Amare was injured and did an awesome job. His numbers for that period were phenomenal.
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

stats don't tell the whole story - there is a huge difference between takin it to the hoop with a 7'1 Chandler or Okafor waiting for you in the paint or a 6'9 Lee who blocks a shot every third game. Statwise, Big Ben and Sheed had about 4 blocks per game, that would mean that they foreclosed only 8 points. But the truth is that they prohibited far more as opposing guards knew that they couldn't penetrate at will with these 2 shot blockers waiting for them.As our current front court looks, there is no reason for a penetrating guard who'll easily pass by Gordon or Stuckey needs to be worried of taking it to the hoop.
  17. coynejeremy

They sure were. He was a steal on my fantasy team that year.
  18. Stringer

Stringer Second Round Draft Pick

Boris Diaw might be the most versatile player in the league. That guy can play all 5 positions. I remember that he was listed as Guard-Forward-Center on his nba.com page when he was playing for Phoenix :hoops:

With the French team, he litterally does everything, especially when Tony Parker is out. But he's at his best when he plays PF.

His main problem is that he defers too much sometimes. He's too unselfish. But LB likes him, cause he plays the right way I guess.
  19. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Amen....:eyebrows: :help2: :gaah: :yield:
  20. Blue

I conceed that all of these points are important, but what I'm saying is that spending 20% of your cap on one player that is a 7-foot, shot-blocking, hustle, garbage clean-up type guy is not the way to go. Acquiring your Chandlers, Okafurs, and even Dalemberts at 10 or $12 million per year with raises hamstrings your organization in trying to build a roster with championship level talent. Payroll gets bloated with contracts that other teams don't want and your options become very limited very fast.

I can only think of one championship team that paid such a large percentage of their payroll to this type of player: the 96-97 Bulls that paid Rodman 9 million (and that team obviously had a guy named MJ).

As I also said earlier, Ben played this role for us for many years at the MLE (and he was only listed at 6-9, so height is not nessecarily relevent). This should be the type of player + salary that Joe is looking for, not the guys already on bloated contracts. I would be all for Chandler or Okafur if they hadn't already been extended to 8 figure contracts and could be had at a more reasonable price.