okay, so does the reg. season matter or doesn't it?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by professor, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The expectations should be to integrate and develop as many bench players as possible while experimenting with different line up combinations and offensive and defensive plays to see what will work come the play offs and what won't.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    You sure it's not the 1st seed and 70 wins? Because if I was watching Flip, that's what I'd assume.
  3. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

With a coach, who could deal with bench integration, Mr.MVP and delicate psyche of Wallace(s), we would be comfortably expecting 4th ship in a row right now.
    I suspect LB was a little lucky in 04 and this year Pistons can only win in spite of Flip.:yellowprison:

I enjoy regular season games a lot, however this team is (un)fortunately too good to be satisfied with every kind of victory. Last 2 against Bobcats and Spurs (they are far from WC right now) are not very encouraging...

System of competition is also to blame for to many meaningless games.
  4. mikhail1973

If you want to talk about bunch of meaningless games, do you follow baseball at all? :pound:
  5. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

What makes it even worse IMO is the limited field for playoffs in baseball. Only 8 teams make the playoffs after 162 regular-season games, and that's after the somewhat recent addition of the wildcard. Many teams are out of the running with 20-30 games left in the season.

I love the NBA - the offseason, preseason, regular season and playoffs - and I think the season would lose something if there were no playoffs. For me the regular season sets up the perspective with which the playoffs are viewed. After all, it was the regular season the Mavs had last year that made their collapse in the playoffs so significant.

I do think that the regular season could be significantly shortened to around 50 games. This should be long enough for teams to develop their youth, but short enough to make each game a bit more meaningful for the veterans. It would reduce the physical strain on the players. It would probably draw in more casual fans who think the season is too long.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Baseball is not meaningless for contenders because it is so difficult to make the playoffs. Once you lose a bunch, then it definitely becomes meaningless in a bad way.

The meaningless part about bball is that half the teams make it. The Pistons could concede the next 20 games and still make the playoffs and probably make it to the ECF no problem.

Once again, the NFL has it right in regards to reg season vs. post season.
  7. mikhail1973

NFL has a couple of advantages - revenue and physical aspect of the game. They make enough playing a 16-game regular season, and they couldn't extended it for much longer because they will be nobody left to play.
  8. max

max All-Star

I like the NBA playoff system. Its the main thing that drew me over from baseball as my #1 sport. The whole idea that you can just get in and always have a chance.

I don't think you can say its based on marketing since its always been like this. I know Buddah fan is going to come in with something like "Oh it used to be 6 teams up until 19 shlerpy something."
    As far as I know its always been the top 8 teams.

As far as what the regular season is about? Making sure you are a top 3 seed and that you manage your team so they peak in the playoffs. In that regard the regular season is a part of the playoffs. Its really just qualifying for a shot at the title. You can't win it if you can't get in.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, 1984 was the first time that 8 teams from each conference qualified for the playoffs. In '84, the Knickerbockers knocked out Zeke, Laimbs, Vinnie, Tripucka, John Long, Terry Tyler, and company in a deciding game 5 by a score of 127-123. Before 1984, only 4 teams from each conference made the playoffs.
  10. max

max All-Star

Actually it was 6 from each conf.

Anyway. Its always been a structure where half the teams made it in. Anyone disagree with that?
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Comfortably expecting a 4th straight title? Something that no team has ever done, aside from the Celtics in the '60s?

It's fair to say that not winning the title two years ago was a disappointment, as was not getting to the finals last year. But it'd be nice if people remembered that there really are some other good teams in the league who are capable of beating anyone...and that "anyone" even includes a properly-executing Pistons team.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

What is distorbing for me that some fans do not take into account that for trades they need two sides, winning is not just "we do what we want", but they have to play better than opponent, etc. So , I fully agree with Dumars4Ever that it is not oh-they -took-my-title...For you Pistons ma be the most important thing but rest of folks do not care.
  13. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

What about Miami ECF?
    Ok, I was exaggerating to make my point...
    I defintivelly fell in love with modern (I already liked them in the Bad Boys era) Pistons team about 4 years ago (it was my first opportunity to watch them on TV). I remember their defense in 4th quarter of certain game when the opponent team could only score by chance.
    At their best their game is (was?) a peak sporting achievement for me, although I like some other sports too. In team sports there is a lot about harmony and that makes them so difficult to play... and coach.:MusicBigGrin:
    It is not strange that I am speculating about possible reasons for breakdowns and underachievements (as I see them), which became patternlike in last years.
    As for other teams - I am following and watching them too.
    I liked some Warriors, Wizards, Blazers and Celtics games recently.

Sadly, I am not very comfortable in English, othervise I would explain some points from my previous post extensively.:)
  14. max

max All-Star

I can read your posts just fine.

I do understand what you meant in your last post. 5 straight ECF and only getting to the Finals twice with only 1 championship is a little dissapointing in that context.

But at least we did get the one championship which is more than other teams can say. Think about the Utah Jazz of the 90's. Or the Sacramento Kings of that same era. Or even the Dallas Mavericks of this day. All those great regular seasons and they always came up short with no hardware to show.

Our run is still going though. Its not done yet. If we do get that 2nd title then it will right a lot of wrongs.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

But at least we did get the one championship which is more than other teams can say. Think about the Utah Jazz of the 90's. Or the Sacramento Kings of that same era. Or even the Dallas Mavericks of this day. All those great regular seasons and they always came up short with no hardware to show.

And all those MJ victims should be mentioned, it a long list, though...
  16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

And all those MJ victims should be mentioned, it a long list, though...