Away Oklahoma City Friday Nov 9 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

ANDRE DRUMMOND

Showing us what he can do. I am so happy about that!

2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

If the team plays this way, they will win some games. At least, it was interesting.

Drummond and Monroe made it look like the last three years of losing may actually have been worth it after all.

Why did (do) the Pistons still lose?

1) The team is getting below NBA standard guard play. From game to game, the Piston guards are not NBA level consistently enough. The guard play was poor against the Thunder.

2) The team just does not have quality shot makers. Tay can't finish any more and is usually afraid to take the jumper. Stuckey is not a shooter. Knight does not have a steady shot. Monroe does not have a steady shot yet. Bynum is not a shooter. JJ does not have the range yet. Maxiel has no range. At some point, a team has to make shots to win games.

3) The team is way too young and inexperienced while getting little help from the veterans to overcome that fact.

4) The team has no skilled player that can break down the defense. Even when the two bigs Dre and Monroe caused havoc, the lack of skill on the perimeter and in ball handling penetration limit the Piston offense.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Having Drummond paired with Monroe should eventually allow Monroe to play that high post spot while Drum gives us that continued inside threat or roadblock like picks for cutters. Drummond has great hands under the hoops which is perfect to go along with Monroe who gives unexpected deliveries.

The formula tonight with the 2 combo guards getting 6 assists apiece and then the point PF getting 6 assists could be a glimpse of the unique model we have created actually working. It really increases our options of being able to avoid great defenders by having 3 different guys who can make that critical pass.

First game where Maxiell and Bynum both had bad games. If not for that, we may have had a chance in this one. Singler only seems to take good shots and is rarely in a position to force anything, so his FG % may end up at the top of the list with the big men this season.

Stuck with his most efficient game of the year with a blazing 35% shooting... and he actually hit 2 threes. Maybe he's back with us.

Whatever life/ basketball lesson Frank has plotted out for Drummond, he's gotta be tempted to say screw it in order to chase this first win. It's pretty obvious that the Monroe-Drummond pairing fixes a lot of our problems and is a structure with a way higher upside than a Maxiell-Monroe medium ball scheme.

It was fun to watch a Pistons with athleticism and a size advantage get one of his first real opportunities.

4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I think you mean potato ball scheme

coynejeremy likes this.
  5. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Easily the best game of the season not coincidentally coinciding with Drummond's best game, and the game where Monroe and him played together. We saw one of the positives of this for Drummond too - Monroe on the floor to give advice when he did something wrong and staying on the court, rather than playing with JJ or Max and getting pulled.

6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Finally some Drum-Monroe and it looked good! Drummond is still on a very short leash, he was in the flow for the first time in his NBA career and with one min of garbage time left he throws away a pass and gets pulled immediately.

BK doesn't run the offense like a CP3 or Nash kind of PG and he never will but I like that he is trying to learn the PG:ish parts. He'll benefit from this long term.

Kander must have straigthened out Stuckey's migraine because he had a season best 5-14 and he is now 13-60 for the season. He's back!

7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Fun game to watch because we saw a glimpse of the future in the Drummond/Monroe pairing. I think Tayshaun is hurting the development of this team.

When Westbrook pushed Drummond down I thought he might get angry....but I don't think he has it in him. He seems always happy and easy going.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

I had no idea Drummond had 22 points last night. He was the only Pistons bench player with a defensive rebound.

roscoe36 likes this.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

He'll snap one day like Lenny in Of Mice and Men like the time Dyess got mad and body slammed Dwight Howard in the playoffs.

11. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Certainly not disgraced in this one. The rout was on at the start of the 3rd, but the Monroe-Drummond pairing turned things around as others mentioned. Man, I felt something last night I hadn't felt for a while during that comeback. Hmm, what was it? Excitement! And a bit of pride. The Thunder fans were very complacent and when the lead was cut to 3 there were more than a few anxious murmurs.
    Not sure if the game plan was to play off Durant and dare him to shoot it, but dare him they did and he knocked down his shots in the 2nd half. Westbrook didn't do much. Ibaka was on fire, he really has gotten good at that mid-range jumper.

The alley-oop to Knight was great and drew some gasps. Plenty of people in the crowd were asking who that Drummond guy was, and I was happy to see him knock down a decent % from the line. I was definitely fearing the worst when he went down on his elbow.

Monroe had a pretty bad game. He had grease on his hands on something - usually he is more sure-handed than that, but Westbrook and Sefolosha were pouncing in to knock the ball away on more than 1 occasion.

I don't like the way Tayshaun 'mentors' the younger guys, it seems a little condescending when he puts his arm around them and blabs in their ear. Whenever he threw up a junk shot that missed he was always in the ear of one of the other guys afterwards. What, they forced you to take that crap shot? Pfft. Maxiell has had his chance to show something this season, I think his rotation spot should be given to someone else for a few games, even if it is BOT or Daye. Or Kratsov!

Anyway, was a fun game and glad it was relatively close. Saw the bombing memorial earlier in the day. Worth a visit if you're ever in OKC. Bricktown is good for a feed before the game also.

roscoe36 likes this.