Away Oklahoma Thunder Monday Jan 23 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 23, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2012.
  1. Detroit

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Oklahoma

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

8:00 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

At 13-3.......they are the class of the West. Their Northwest division has 4 teams that could qualify for the playoffs, so they wanna stay on their toes. Don't think we'll catch them having an off-day since the Whizards already have. Pistons should lose the next four starting with this one..........OKC by 18 points.......

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But these are the new and improved Pistons. Bring on the Okies.

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

We've already had our win for this month.

OKC by 18. That's right, I'm going with what Nemo said this time.

5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Ugly, ugly basketball. Westbrook is too strong for Brandon and too fast for Stuck. 2 fouls already for both at the end of one. The Thunder just posted Westbrook every time. Now Brandon's a good defender, but he's not strong enough yet to be able to handle RW's big butt down on the low block. He needed help and they left him on an island there. Stuckey's definition of running the offense is taking it full court and going one on one each and every time. Dude just committed a charge. Greg was 1 for 6 before going to the bench. We're so painfully overmatched here.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, this is ugly. The 2nd quarter just started and we trail 36-14 and are outrebounded 17-6.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Down 22 at the opening moments of the 2nd quarter......
    There's more at issue here.........than just handling someone's big butt...........

8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Austin, you MUST GO TO THE BALL. Seriously. That TO will be given to Brandon, but lazy Daye had a look on his face like "lol I was supposed to get that?"

9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Yeah, a lot of issues. But that big butt was a big reason why this game got out of hand so quickly. That dunk got their crowd into it and that was all she wrote. Daye finally hit a three though.

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow - we're down 30 with 5 minutes in the 2nd quarter? OKC must be having an off night.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, I saw that. When the defense is collapsing on your penetrating PG and you're a spot-up shooter, don't be surprised when the ball is coming your way.

12. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

We are getting destroyed. We have no offense and little defense. That is a bad combination.

dba likes this.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Oooof! This is one ugly game.

Highlight: Greg Monroe diving to the floor to fight with Westbrook for a loose ball.
    Lowlight: Rodney Stuckey getting blocked after driving into 4 defenders. Seriously, try passing the ball.

14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Perhaps Stuckey thought he was LeBron and he could just dunk on them all. NOT

15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Oh man...I came home, watched 5 mins of this...then, found something else to do for the night. Good god.

16. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I want to puke watching this game..

17. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Macklin made an Alley-oop .. I'm just happy we have a guy who can do this. I'm serious

18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It's... dreadful. It may be the worst defense I've ever seen a team play. To their credit, OKC is shooting out of their minds, but Detroit certainly isn't doing much to stop them.

19. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Macklin is getting ridiculous. 4 points and 4 boards in 9 minutes. Knight and Monroe were -23, and he was +6. I know he's a garbage time superstar, but his +/- rating is inexcusably good, and light years ahead of the rest of the Pistons. He's +21 on the season.

I'm not suggesting we start him, but he at least deserves a shot at the rotation. Worst case scenario is that the Pistons get blown out and he embarrasses himself, but that might just make him fit in more.

20. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Definitely agree with that. In a game where garbage time unofficially started in the first quarter and officially did with 10 to go in the fourth with Knight checking out of the game for the final time, there are very, very few positives, but that highlight pick there was definitely one of them. And that play came with his team down 25 points.

Stuckey. He's a decent scorer and foul drawing machine, but linwood's lowlight pick was emblematic of just what was wrong with him in this game. He just has too much Will Bynum in his game. He will, more often than not, try to go one on five with terrible results. Fast break opportunity, the defense gets back, it's 4 on 1, and a guy who's had a block in 30 straight games is sizing him up - a smart player would recognize that, pull it back and try to set something up - but Stuckey drove in there anyway and got his shot blocked. Fast break bucket the other way. He just has terrible awareness. It did look like he re-aggrevated his groin injury in the third though, and credit to him for playing through it despite being in obvious pain, but he shouldn't even have been playing. With the injuries piling up, the last thing this team needs is for him to go out for the year.

The thing I've noticed with Brandon is he doesn't start games looking for his shot. He'll run the offense first, try to get his teammates (in this case Greg) going and if an opportunity presents itself he'll attack. He's made his share of bad passes, but he's gotten much better at recognizing what he needs to do since the start of the season. One of his turnovers really should've been credited to Daye on one of his drive and kicks. You're a shooter, keep your hands ready and meet that pass, Austin! He tried hard on defense, but Westbrook's big butt was just too much. He and Stuck probably should've switched as they were just dumping it down low and going isotayshaun every time. Brandon is a work in progress, as is the whole team, but I'm encouraged by the fact that he and Monroe never give up. They will play hard no matter what, and for a team that's gotten bashed for being lazy and complacent during the good years, that's a good sign going forward.

Greg had a very poor shooting night, going 3 for 14, but credit to Ibaka and Perkins for doing a stellar job on him. They were giving him the ball a lot, and though he did get some good looks, this was just one of those nights for him. Nothing went right for him or the Pistons on either end for the entirety of the first half, going down 22 after one, but he played hard, rebounding the basketball and at one point poking the ball away from Ibaka after a rebound then diving to the floor and scrapping with Westbrook for the ball. (He came up with it.) His defense is his biggest weakness at this time; it's not terrible, and he tries hard, but that's where he needs the most work. His offense will come back eventually once he adjusts to the defense being geared to stop him. I can't say it enough: he needs help down there.

JJ isn't the best nor most consistent player on this Pistons roster, but he plays hard. He played a lot in Garbage Time, but you wouldn't know it from watching his play. This is the type of effort the team needs from him and every player on the roster if the team is going to get back its winning ways.

Tayshaun was okay. Not the best game for him as he got burned by KD, but that's to be expected. Durant is one of the league's best scorers, and he's both tall and long. Tay tried, but the guy won the scoring title twice for a reason.

Max was Max. He was just overmatched. The whole team was.

Walker Russell Jr. was a good pickup.

Daye finally made a three. But it doesn't look like he took Tay's advice to heart. 10 shots in 19 minutes. And his body language is awful. I'm glad he got a chance to play, but I just don't have a lot of faith that he'll pull it together enough to be a good player.

Macklin should probably get some more PT. It was in Garbage Time, but he looked decent, and this team has nothing to lose by at least playing him to see what he's got.

Surprisingly more positive than I thought I would be, but this is also a game that was always going to be an expected loss.