On the Loose: Larry Brown

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 25, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

On the Loose: Larry Brown

Any guesses where Larry will land? Chicago? Cleveland? The Low's house?
  2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Chicago, seems to a good place for Larry. Team full of youngsters who he can coach up, but the brass may be hesitant because LB is a carpet bagger. Chicago gets either him or Carlisle.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know if I ever told this story here, but a few years ago, I found myself paired up on the golf course with a guy on the board for the Chicago Bulls. It was during the contract negotiation with Scott Skiles after he made the playoffs the year before I believe. It was when the negotiations were getting combative and Skiles was threatening to walk.

Anyways, I just remember this guy said something like "he thinks he %%%%ing Phil Jackson, he hasn't done %%%%." At that point in time, I thought that the Bulls should sign him at all costs and it was eye opening to see how the guys on the inside were really irritated with him because of his over inflated ego.

The only reason that I bring this up is because if those guys didn't like negotiating with Skiles (when he was 1 step above a nobody), then I'm not sure they'll be able to go through the process of dealing with LB, who is pound for pound the most irritating employee on the planet.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've always wondered how much of NBA negotiations are done with the prospective employee actually in the room and how much is done with only the agent. Most people aren't all that comfortable in salary negotiations and if you're paying an agent all that money, the temptation must be to turn him or her loose and get out of the way. Does the player or potential coach even know everything that is going on?

Hmmm... Larry Brown and Ben Gordon. Uh, no.

If LB shows up, BG will get traded before camp starts.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm sure all of the negotiations went through the agent, but the actual person still agrees to go along with the aggressive strategy.

Those agents must be pretty relentless dudes.

That is a good point about BG. Also, I don't think LB would be a big Tyrus Thomas fan... or vise versa.

There are some other players that would really fit his system though: Hinrich, Duhon, Gooden, Sefolosha.
  6. dba

Yeah, despite the failures of this year, there is still a good core there (Don't forget Deng.) and ample trade bait. Gordon and Thomas might get them a good big man or a strong two guard. Blend in a good coach and you never know.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think Isiah Thomas and Larry Brown should open a school to train coaches. Some featured courswork could be:

"Don't Ever Quit: 10 Easy Steps to Getting that Buyout You Need" (taught by Brown)

"Pick 'n Roll: Pick at Everybody and then Roll to Your Next Gig (taught by Brown)

"Positive Persona: How to Convince Others You're Headed in the Right Direction Despite the Bottom Line (taught by Thomas)

"Foul! Hiding Your Indescretions by Saying the Right Things" (taught by Thomas)

The Davidson Connection: Establishing a Pleasant Relationship with the Boss (co-taught by Brown and Thomas)
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LB needs to hold out and wait to see how Flip folds his cards the next 7-8 weeks.

If Flip fails, Joe and Mr D will need to just suck it up and bring back the only guy that can reel the egos back in and discipline these guys before father time takes over. After all Flip waited out in the Palace parking lot for 4 months waiting for the Pistons to can LB.:MusicBigGrin:
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

L.B. doesn't strike me as a "Turn him loose" type guy. I'm pretty sure that he'd insist on being very involved in any contract talks.

I really hope that the Bulls aren't interested in him and he ends up going to a team outside the Pistons' division at least. I think that Brown would do VERY well with that young Chicago team before wearing out his welcome and being forced to unceremoniously resign with a fat severance package.
  10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

The NBA expert on first and ten thinks the two most likely spots for him to end up are atlanta and denver if denver fails to win the series... he said AI and the rest of the players will ask for larry brown? That seemed like a stretch but if that talent there ever learned disipline and defense.... scary... unless brown would trade half the team away lol.
  11. dba

That doesn't seem too far fetched. Iverson really wants to win it all and this is probably his last and best chance (this bunch in Denver, not this year). And LB is the only guy who's gotten him to the finals before.

And you're right - way scary.

You can bet JR Smith will be gone if Larry shows up.
  12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Would L.B. wanna be the dude who shoves his buddy Mike Woodson out the door in the ATL?

Denver makes sense. They love him out here!

I CAN'T picture the likes of K-Mart, Carmelo Anthony & JR Smith playing "the right way" though. If L.B. makes a Mile-Migh comeback, I expect a grip of roster moves.
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

If I were God, I couldn't make this happen fast enough.
  14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Dallas.
  15. Pwn Toney

Just curous, why do you guys always get hung up on LB trading guys away?

He's not the GM. He wasn't here and wasn't anywhere except maybe Philly where all he did there was get a one man team to the finals. He doesn't have any power to trade anybody. He can ask till his hair falls out, but the ACTUAL GM gets to make that decision. I just don't get it.
  16. dba

No, not the GM, but surely he would have some input. You don't hire someone of that stature, and pay him the kind of money he is going to want, and not listen when he says that some guy doesn't fit in the system he wants to put in place.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

B/c once he's in there, he makes his feelings known. The GM is afraid that if they don't comply, then LB will make life difficult for everyone by going on strike.
  18. Pwn Toney

THat's like saying Saunders could have a fit because Joe didn't give him all jumpshooters once he was hired. It just seems like all these assumptions and attributes only get applied to LB, but get explained as though every coach has some sort of input.

They guy is the coach, he has no power above that. Plain and simple. No GM is terrified that their coach doesn't have the guys he wants...they'll just fire him and hire the coach that will coach the guys he has.
  19. Pwn Toney

That's hardly true, the guy has been a coach for over 30 years. No one is afraid of his opinion.

LB has to be one of the 1st people in history to be completely hated for succeeding and for what he may or may not could have possibly or not so possibly have been thinking or may have wanted to think if he was so inclined as to have the audacity to have thoughts or not have thoughts that might possibly be attributed to him through the talk radio, newspaper, or fan forum sphere of reality or not so much reality based on what you are or are not willing to believe based on your thoughts (or unthoughts), wishes, or desires, which may or may not revolve around your love of a particular basketball team vs. your own thoughts on what people should or should not have done based on what they really may or may not have done based on your point of view or desire to accept. That is, of course, if we were talking about something real.
  20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That was a helluva long sentence, Low. :laugh:

I do agree with you that it's not realistic to expect that LB will come in and demand that half the roster get traded, or whatever. But I do think he and any potential GMs he talks to will consider how much he does or doesn't like the roster that's there. It wouldn't be all that surprising if (for example) he said to Denver, "I'd like to work for you, but I don't think I can make it work with J.R. Smith."