1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

On the Loose: Larry Brown

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Must not have if he wasn't willing to wait and see?

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

There was a handful of guys available at the time. I'd have to go back and research exactly who was unemployeed 3 years ago (could you do that?). Fact is, we never even talked to anyone else...this guy was named even before LB was out the door. Besides, you don't just hire a coach by opening your door and checking to see who fell in.

You DO THE LEG WORK. YOU TURN OVER EVERY STONE. YOU TRY TO FIND THE GUY THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU, NOT JUST THE GUY WHO'S STANDING OUTSIDE WITH ROSES AND CHOCOLATES.

3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Do you really think that dumars didnt do that? Do you really think that dumars was fooled by "flips' charm"?

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

LB to......

Memphis
    The only team he can't make worse.

5. Pwn Toney

He hired him didn't he?

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

What coach wouldn't have wanted this job back then?

7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Is it that a sign that dumars actually didnt try other options?

8. Pwn Toney

Yes it is.

9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

It is not. We will never now how many negotiations dumars had. He signed with flip but it does't mean that he didnt had more negotiatons AT THE SAME TIME.

And we do no know what Nate wanted. Theory that Nate wanted pistons but dumars decided to go with flip is purely speculation.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah Nate was available but as all have indicated he was already signed by the Blazers before the finals were over. Phil Jackson was also available, and but he re-signed with the Lakers even though he secretly liked what the Pistons had on the floor.

Flip had a wink-wink handshake with Joe as soon as troubled started brewing between the Cavs GM and the NY papers regarding LB. Flip was hanging around the Palace as early as the second round.

Five worst moves during Joes tenure>>, Drafting Darko, letting LB Go, hiring Flip, letting Memo go and not demanding a S & T for Ben.

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

In case of LB dumars could't do anything: LB screwed things up.

Dumars had no means to trump Utah's offer to Memo, S&T with ben was totally excluded: again, dumars had no means to force ben's hand. And I remember that when somebody posted that ben should be traded before his contract ends, that poor poster was executed by lynch mob.

12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The firing of LB was a Bill Davidson thing. And Joe could not technically under the CBA keep both Rasheed Wallace, and Memo Okur. Not financially possible, so I have a hard time blaming that on Joe. Plus you can't "Demand a sign and trade" for a player that is an unrestricted free agent.

Drafting Darko and Hiring Flip i'll put on Joe.

13. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

That's how I see it.

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Which were two huge mistakes that have kept this franchise from winning more than one 'ship. But that will be another thread for another day. And I'm not saying Joe D hasn't done a lot of good things. He has.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well it you recall all I said was the five worst moves during Joe's tenure...yeah it some might say it was Joe, but really if i try to clean it now, it's the five worst/moves/incidents/things to happen to the Pistons organization during Joe's tenure or in the last four years.....does that clean this up?....or can somebody add some others? Some can be blamed on the owner, the GM, the coach, a player or two or the NBA it self...or even a infamous brawl and you can probably go down the the list of all teams and find their five incidents that prevented them from winning or challenging, but as ggazoo said we can start that thread if and when we are eliminated.....:sssh:

16. max

max All-Star

I don't want to re-hash it again but LB wanted to leave just as much as Davidson wanted him out. Who remembers all the "I may not be able to coach next season due to my health" claims that LB was making? Who recalls LB taking a couple of weeks off during the season for his surgery and not even bothering to tell Dumars or Davidson? Who recalls LB meeting with Isiah while still under contract with the Pistons?

I believe LB wanted to get fired so he could get his buyout money plus the Knicks deal and I am still standing by it.

Yes LB should have been the coach for the full 5 years. He had a chance to go down in history with his own championship squad but apparently money was more important to him.

17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

agreed, as there saying right now on sports reporters Detroit should have been in 5 straight finals right now, If only the pistons had what San Ant does... somebody that pushes them.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

19. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

...and LB ends up in Charlotte.

He'll love Okafor, and probably use him much, much more intelligently than Vincent did. Don't know how Felton will get along with him. Richardson either, for that matter. He'll hate Gerald Wallace and Morrison and Nazr.

Wonder how long it'll take before Jordan and Brown's egos come to a head?

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

LB coaching Nazr :pound: