1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Orlando At Detroit - Jan 3, 2006

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by max, Oct 10, 2005.

1. max

max All-Star

Orlando At Detroit - 7:30PM

TV: FSN
    Radio: WDFN

Max's Notes
    Not exactly a barn burner but the 2 teams usually play each other tough. Last season the Pistons took it 3-1. With only 3 meetings this year someone will walk away with bragging rights. Will Grant last long enough? He did last year. Only home game against Orlando in this seasonal 3 game set.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~~Comments on the game?~~

2. max

max All-Star

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

max

max...great job with the season stats...can that be made a permanent part of the pregame thread?

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Steve Francis may not play tonight.

5. roscoe36

6. roscoe36

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

Quite a contrast in the shooting this game vs. last. We hit a bunch of triples. Some might complain, but this has gotten us to 25-4 now. And in my opinion, we shot well enough last game too. More on that in a moment.

CB got his new career high. 37 points. That included a whole bunch of free throws and 4 made triples. And he got Nelson in foul trouble too. Very important as Nelson is normally the big scorer at the end of games for Orlando. Last the announcers mentioned it, CB had 8 assists. Just one turn.

Rip hit a couple of triples and basically had it going on. Marvelous drives inside (thank Brown for adding that to his game) and nailing his midrangers too.

Tay hit several shots. Sheed did not shoot a whole lot. I know he made that one triple. Dyess hit a shot or two.

The game stayed with our starters in. Delfino and Dyess were first off the bench, with Evans and Arroyo following shortly. We played these four bench players together for about 5 minutes, first with Ben, and then with Sheed. With Ben, we held even. Part of that was Ben himself going inside and scoring. And Evans had an offensive rebound putback along with a short jumper off his own dribble. The last there again is something we have only seen the last, oh, about 4 to 5 games from Evans.

This is how the scoring went with the bench in. Both sides scored every time down for quite a while. But we ended up down 5 points before the bench came off the floor. We failed to score a couple of times, but they continued to score every time down.

This is two straight games where if Evans is in the game in the 1st half, the other team scores every time down. Draw your own conclusions if you will, but our defensive rotations were nowhere. Evans did get an offensive rebound putback. But that has nothing to do with passing the ball either to him or from him. Neither did Evans' shot off his dribble. Yes, I cheered when he scored, but I would be more impressed if he could connect with his team in the flow of the offense. We were scoring every time down due to excellent ball handling provided by Arroyo and Delfino.

In the 2nd half of the game, only Dyess and Delfino came off the bench. There was no garbage time. Our bench, what we have to call our bench, Dyess and Delfino, was in their in the 2nd half as we took a tie game and got a nine point lead. Delfino took turns resting Rip then Tay. Highlights for Delfino in this game included a couple of offensive rebounds, one he put back up and in, a triple, and one drive to the basket for a score. And one missed shot, which we got the offensive rebound on.

Delfino's defense was pretty darn good. His man lost him behind a screen once. Thats not a lot for all the time he played. We even got to see Delfino gaurd Hill some. No real problem there.

Old business. I said last game during halftime that we could still win the game, provided Evans did not come into the game in the 2nd half. After watching Delfino tonight, I am more positive than ever that we win that one if Evans did not play at all. Actually, I bet we would have whipped Cleveland pretty good. A guy who does not know your defensive rotations or offensive sets just messes your team up. You can't always get it back when that guy leaves the floor. Sound harsh. Oh well, its my opinion. Delfino needs to play more minutes yet, or simply find someone else to take Evans' minutes.

Dyess played a whole lot, giving plenty of rest to our bigs. The only guy who played a ton in this one was Billups. We just had a couple days off. Next game Friday. Thats two days off before the next game. Good as time as any for Billups to get some serious burn.

Again, no Darko. I won't quit mentioning it. We won another game. If the coach increases Delfino's time from this game, we got something from this game that will go toward winning the playoffs. Player development is going to win, not homecourt. Homecourt is fine, but not at the expense of not develping your bench. We still got to do better.

Ben was huge in this game, keeping at bay pretty well young Mr. Howard. He got his bounds, and he scored some too. His usual putbacks and his own on pretty good moves. As the announcers pointed out, Ben is just 6-6 1/2. He moves very well for a big and why not use it. (Again, kudos to Brown for working on Ben's O)

I'd say this post is long enough. GO PISTONS!!!!!

8. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Sniff, sniff. Smells like an all star statement game. Nothing like a head to head matchup to remind ballot stuffing fans and coaches alike who is and isn't all star material. Later, Mr. Franchise.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Finally some good adjustments by Flip at the beginning of the 4th as Lee indicated "he only went with Delfino & Dice down the stretch and left Evans and Arroyo on the bench". Taking out CB and putting in CA may have been diastrous as "4th qtr Stevie"may have abused Mr Arroyo and this one may have gone down to the wire before Big Shot came back in to save he game..

Nice recovery by the defense as this looked like their inside paint job was going to steal this game for the Magic. Good that our interior defense finally stepped up and restored order in the paint.:laugh:

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

???

lee re-cap stats in order by named mention:
    (note that uncounted inference totals can be MUCH higher)

CB: 4 >>> career high 37
    Rip: 2
    Tay: 2
    Sheed: 2
    Dice: 5
    CD: 11
    Evans: 9 >>> paragraphs devoted to: 2+
    CA: 1
    Ben: 6

How does a player that scored 4 points in 5 minutes deserve such derogatory recognition?
    You should be just as critical of the dark man…except he obviously hasn’t earned gametime due to his practice demeanor.

You “…cheered when he scored…” :roll:

It’s all ‘old business’ with you..."Double Standards R Us"

11. max

max All-Star

Re: max

thanks but Microwave discovered it.

12. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

I thought it was so fitting before this game there was a debate of Delfino or Evans. I'm a fan of both, but with all things being equal Delfino has shown that he can be just as versatile as Prince. Delfino upside is much more than Evans.

Delfino in my mind has had one of his most complete games as a pro with limited minutes and it will only get better with this guy. He will become more confident more comfortable and Flip will go to him first off the bench along with Dice as the season goes on. :nod:

I want Evans and Delfino to get better because they can become a power duo of the bench once they get set with this roster but Delfino in my observation is the better ball player.

Much Love to C-Bills for dropping 37 points off 15 shots, and should always be in the talks as the next Mp3!!!!!!:P

13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

was at the game...pistons relaxed on D since they were scoring so easily, then locked it down when they had to. i have great season ticket spots in the lower bowl, but we had friends @ the game and got to sit midcourt about 10 rows back. wow. it was incredible, and the closer you get to the players the more you realize just how fast the game is.

anyway nice game overall, not much else to say. evans did great in his 5 mins, delfino had a nice game, arroyo got burned by nelson who was extremely quick and therefore didn't get much time in the game.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

nice tiks...I remember sitting 3 rows from the top of the Silverdome and not being able to tell if the ball went thru the net :laugh:

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game review

Gee, I looked at the time Arroyo was in the game. Memories sure play tricks on a lot of people. Four minutes into the 2nd quarter, the score was tied. Both teams had pretty much scored every time down. At that point, can you really say Carlos Arroyo was doing horrible? No. Running the offense great. The other team was scoring, but note the other team was scoring step for step with us the whole 1st quarter. This just continued while Arroyo was running the point. So what happened to make that stint seem so bad? Two straight turnovers, neither of which had anything to do with Carlos Arroyo, gave Orlando 5 points, putting us down 5. Arroyo came out of the game. About the only thing he did wrong was be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Arroyo hit Ben with a nifty pass, leading Ben right to the basket unimpeded. Later, he drove in a bit, drew defenders, and kicked out to Delfino for a triple. He also got to the line once and made one of two. When Evans hit that shot off the dribble, it was Arroyo who gave him the pass at the right time, allowing Evans to use a good pick set by Dyess to free up that shot.
    [/FONT]

On his defense of Nelson, Nelson got away from him on a few pick and rolls. Poorly defended pick and rolls. Not poorly defended by Arroyo mind you. The other guy, or the team. Twice, poor rotations on defense gave them scores on those pick and rolls. None of which Arroyo was at fault for. The one time Nelson appeared to have Arroyo beat, Arroyo caught up with him, Nelson missed the shot but was bailed out by a bogus call. Arroyo clearly did not foul Nelson on that drive.

Other than that, Delfino's drive was just barely caught, as the camera was staying on Billups until he passed Delfino the ball. Delfino had two Orlando bigs between him and the basket. Sounds about fair to Delfino. But I bet he would think that three of them would be more fair. Delfino exelerated in, easily leaving his own man in the dust. He got past one defender, and right up to the next. Up he goes, a nice nifty shot off the glass right over the guy. Pretty impressive. Besides a few of his own rebounds, Delfino also outjumped Howard on one rebound and managed to knock the ball to our team. The one mistake I thought Delfino made on defense was not his mistake. Hedo had the ball and had just used a pick to get free. Sheed made a mistake right there. You got to stay with Hedo if he is sitting there with the ball on the perimeter. Sheed left Hedo to shoot, choosing to follow his man who had rolled to the basket. Delfino could have covered the big who rolled in. Yes, Delfino, at 230 lbs, can take care of chores like that just fine. Another mistake of Delfino's passing to someone who was wide open and would have scored if he had received the pass. But you got to pass the ball to someone who has enough court awareness that so that he knows the pass is coming. This particular player don't have that. Nice pass though none the less.

Evans got that offensive rebound putback off one of our trick plays where a guy from the perimeter comes in and steals the rebound. I guess it has become too obvious when Delfino pulls this little trick. Other than that and that close in shot from the Dyess pick, Evans messed up a few times on his defense. (How did you think Orlando scored those points.) Just a reminder, thats two straight games the other team has scored every single posession in the first half of a game while Evans is in the game. Yep, it is from his own mistakes too. Not just a coincidence.

Anyone watching, ignore the announcer saying that one shot was beyond Dyess' normal range. It was 3 feet inside the line, which is at the edge of Dyess' normal range, not beyond it at all. In this game, Dyess only nailed two shots, both with some good range. Which means yes he can hit longer range shots without warming up from the post. Nice to know.

This is like 2 out of 4 games now where Delfino only, and not Evans, gets off the bench in the 2nd half of a game. And the 3rd in that stretch where Delfino is seen out there in a game long after Evans has sat down for good. More and more trust is being shown Delfino by his coach.

16. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I was impressed with Jameer Nelson's game for Orlando. For a lil fella he had no problem finishing at the hole. Seemed to play decent D too.

Also a joy to watch young Howard. Makes me wonder how good we'd be if we had a young 7 footer who played like that. :frusty:

17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Re: game review

sorry no, nelson was eating arroyo alive...you can't get make a case otherwise.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

further review of game

First, I counted the number of times Billups got beat by an opposing guard, resulting in points for Orlando. 14 times. Yep, CB was Orlando's favorite target in this game. Mind you, he got beat more than that, I am only mentioning the number of times they scored. Rip got burnt 7 times. Tay a few, but always by Hill. I don't know if that even belongs in a discussion about guard really. Thought I would throw it in though.

One guy who actually well on stopping Nelson from driving in. Delfino. Just one time, but it was impressive. Nelson dove in, lightning quick. Delfino reacted perfectly, coming right back with him. So Nelson thought he could pull up. Delfino had kept his balance and was rigth back up on Nelson, making Nelson pass the ball off. Delfino continues to impress me of late. I kind of think that knee was still bothering him earlier this season, or at least he did not trust the knee fully yet. I see him getting more lift around the basket, and he seems to be moving better in general. (Not that I have looked at that all that closely before this recent stretch where Flip is all the sudden putting Delfino on the likes of Wade and James.)

Ok, so I was wondering why the Pistons quit scoring toward the end of that brief shift from Arroyo. Well, the first few times down, four times, Delfino got the ball early. Very successful. Then Flip went to a bit of experimenting, trying to get Evans involved in some plays. These all went badly. And Evans did not come back into this game.

Another thing about that brief shift from Arroyo. Some complain that Nelson was not contained by Arroyo. Billups got a few turns at trying to contain Nelson in this game too. It was not pretty at all. CB ain't containing Nelson. Thats a team effort right there. Mind, you, all those times CB got beat, only a few were Nelson. Mostly Franchise. (a couple Stevenson, one Hill.)

To keep a guy like Nelson from scoring, it takes good defense of pick and rolls, which includes some defensive rotation. All five guys on your team must know what they are doing. One guy who does not know his stuff kills your defense.

Rip Hamilton was just on in this game. Overshadowed by what CB did, but very impressive none the less. Especially when you consider that Rip scores for us so consistently. We Detroit fans have been very spoiled over the last several years. Starting with Stack, who game after game provided scoring. Now Rip. I miss Stack less these days, as Rip has really learned to take that ball to the rack quite effectively. Still not doing it relentlessly and fearlessly at the end of games like Stack use to do. But I bet he gets there.