Away Orlando Magic Friday, December 27, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

One more loss and Detroits win pct is lower than Khris Middletons 3-point pct.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pope has to be aggressive and practice is shot from everywhere. Currently he is more of a perimeter shooter who tends to leave the in the paint shots to the bigs. That would be great if he were hitting them... The only other issue is I have seen him blow layups too, so our "shooting guard" has shooting issues.

In 29 games over all Pope is 74-204 for 36.3% shooting. He is 48 for 120 from inside the arc for 40% and 26-84 for 31% shooting from beyond the arc. In contrast Singler is shooting 47.2% on 85-180 shooting and 36.1% for his three point shooting.

Pope needs to be more aggressive when he gets the ball and at least go the hoop. He has the third best FT shooting on the team, but has only gone to the line 27 times (21-27). In contrast, Bynum has gone to the FT line 35 times in 400 less minutes.

Players my start to become reluctant to pass the ball to him if he is not going to shoot and like LA Piston says, if he gets it and holds it for a few seconds and passes again, it could cause the next player to rush the shot. I know he is a rookie, but you almost would rather have the aggressive rookie learn from mistakes than be the passive on offense. That is the probable reason as to why he averages only 23 mins a game and the other 4 starters average 34. When we need offense, Mo will sacrifice the defense of Pope.

Every team has a starter that doesn't score, but I don't think any of us saw a lottery pick rookie starting in the back court that was averaging less than 7ppg. It reminds me of Mike Curry 11-12 years ago starting at forward who was there for defense only and gave us about 5 pts a game.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Pope struggling is more symptom than cause. He doesn't get a lot of good shots.

I think the ball would move a lot more if Monroe shot more from 18-20'.
    KGREG and roscoe36 like this.
  4. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pope just doesn't have confidence, and from what I can tell, he knows he's on a team with chuckers. He knows J Smoove and Jennings gotta get their shots, and the Pistons paid those guys this off season. Pope will work his way up the ladder.
    With that said, Alf took him to task in the first few minutes last night. He wanted that ball in the post, got it, and fundamentally took him for three fairly easy 8-12 footers. Alf looks good man, he's a solid player.
  5. Mogilny

Alf has been a top 5 SG for a couple of years now and with Kobe down he's probably top 3.
  6. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I disagree with that one pretty strongly.

Dwyayayane Wade
    James Harden
    Joe Johnson
    Goran Dragic

All superior. I'd throw in Beal there too.
  7. Mogilny

Joe Johnson is worse on both ends of the floor. Dragic isn't very close either.
  8. The Panda

You said a couple of years. I'd take JJ, DWade, Harden and Dragic over Alf over the last 3. In fact, chuck Gordon Hayward in the mix as well as well to make it a nice 5.

Johnson is a better defender, and also remarkably consistent. The only downside is that massive contract. Dragic looks like the real deal in Phoenix this year.
  9. Mogilny

Top 3 referred to now. Dragic over the last 3 seasons? He looks great now but he wasn't even above average two seasons ago, nor a SG before this season. Hayward is mainly a forward and hasn't really played any SG before this season nor is he elite at that position. Wade, Kobe, Johnson and Harden are the players who can make a legimate claim to being better than Alf over the last three years. Maybe Manu if he hadn't played about 20 minutes per game.

JJ a better defender?!? Alf is one of the best perimeter defenders in the L and maybe the second best defensive SG after Tony Allen. JJ is at tops a slightly above average defender the few games he tries to be. The reason he used to be better than Alf was because of his offense, when Joe was an all-star and Alf a defensive role player.
    basketbills likes this.
  10. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Reading how much we regret trading Afflalo makes me wonder if at some point this season or the next one will we regret trading Khris Middleton??

I think he is doing a better job than Singler...
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Middleton was thought to have some upside when he was drafted. He was going to be a late lottery pick before his injury in college. Remember that he actually cracked our starting rotation last season and looked decent.
  12. The Panda

I liked Middleton
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No way I take Dragic, Johnson or Beal over Alf.