Away Orlando Magic Sunday Jan 27 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

at Orlando Magic

Sunday Jan 27 2013 - 6:00 PM EST

Amway Center, Orlando, FL

TV: FS Detroit

RADIO: 97.1FM

GO PISTONS!
  2. roscoe36

3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Well, my eyes are MUCH better...but I am not sure I want to waste my perfect vision on Larry Tidbit losses. I just rewatched last nights game with these new peepers...holy crap we stink. Its like watchin the Teal Horses with Don Reid playing Pf. Its time for Tidbit to give us a JJ and English burn....tear the lineups apart and start over....he already lost his job, lets make it interesting.
  4. roscoe36

That's not human nature though.

As our perception of the stakes get higher (losing job) we tend to tighten up.
  5. copper

copper Bench Warmer

A man can dream cant he?
  6. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Rodney Stuckey inactive - a "coach's decision". (via Twitter)
  7. bekzen

bekzen Second Round Draft Pick

I'm curious if we see another Frank garbage coaching game ;)
  8. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

With Rondo out for the season......Rodney is home packing for Boston. :)
    roscoe36 and bekzen like this.
  9. bekzen

bekzen Second Round Draft Pick

If that is true CV will get the defensive player of the year award, but i hope so :)
    basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Bynum to Knight--I liked it. Knight 0 asssists and 31 points--I liked it.

The thing with Stuckey, and a lot of people have commented on this is, that either unit does not seem to flow with his game. And he is not a good enough one on one player to warrant the ball to the extent that he gets it.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great win, fun to watch.

Our bench, with Stuckey inactive, went back to being very effective, getting us a huge 16-0 run. Bynum, Daye, Singler, CV, Drummond. It worked in this instance defensively, as Bynum was checking somebody as short as he is in Nelson.

Reddick did not get all those 3's off Singler. Singler was being asked, as usual, to play inside as much as possible to cover for our poor interior D played by the combo of Monroe (no ups), and JMAX, (no height.) It did seem totally incredible that Reddick was so open so much. But you got to make your choices I guess.

Did Drummond seem a bit off? No points. Just 16 minutes played. Hey, he was part of that run though.

Knight made excellent decisions all night. And he made several open 3's. Career high 31 points, plenty of good enough defense.

Notice Monroe went to a high percentage banker for that outside shot he made. Good choice.

Daye hit a couple of threes. A couple of other buckets too I believe.

CV actually was seen inside more than once in this one. And he made a three too. As did Singler. Which means we had three guys they were watching on the outside, Bynum for getting to the hoop, and Drummond for his slams. Lots to watch.

The finish was pretty exciting. A call meant Nelson got to the line for 3 free throws with just seconds to go in the game with us up 4. He made the first two, missed the next. Nobody ever got full control of the rebound as the ball got bounced up in the air maybe 7 times before time ran out to preserve the win for us. (Maybe, one Orlando player hurried his shot at one point there probably thinking he had no time at all when he still had a second or two.)

Regardless of how much talent Orlando has on there team, or does not, they are well coached and play really sharp together. They seemed to really want this win to0 - again, good win for us.

With Stuckey out, Kim English got to play 17 minutes. He was minus 11, but you know, it was hard to see anything really he was doing all that bad out there. It just seemed that Orlando was happening to play good ball when English was on the floor. He made a couple of shots, made a couple of free throws. He was not shot on that often. Obviously, he has a lot of rust on him - hope to see him play some more so we can all see how good he is with the rust off.

Coach was asked about the "coach's decision" that kept Rodney Stuckey from playing. He made it very clear that he did not want to be asked about it. On hoopshype, someone claims that Joe Dumars texted "no" to the notion Stuckey was on the trading block. All I know, its been a lousy coach's decision to spoil our bench by trying to force both Stuckey and Bynum out there at the same time. Regardless of what is going on with Stuckey, I just don't want to see the two paired up again.

Bynum had a great night, 12 assists, several to Knight for 3's. Monroe too was an assist machine, for a center anyway. Singler was way plus for this game, as we were running neck and neck with Orlando as Reddick got off to that hot start. (and Singler was in for the 16-0 run). Fortunately, the rest of his team was not scoring at all during that stretch. (Very little - like 3 points out of the first 18 scored by Orlando - per my memory.)

Bynum's worst play? Calling his own shot in that last minute of so. Coach wisely called T/O and scolded the guy something fierce on his shot selection. (I imagine anyway.) Lets not revert to Bynaism.

No 4th quarter minutes for JMAX. He did little in this game. A block, a couple of buckets. And a lot of simply being too short.

Prince was pretty darn horrid at 3 -13. Some bad shooting nights look like bad luck. Prince simply was making poor shot selections for the most part. Not that I can read minds, but I imagine Prince tries too much to match other players who are behind him on the bench. (Note again, both Singler, and Daye, made 3's in this game, and even English made one deeper shot though not a three.) In case I am right, hey, Prince, play to win - not to keep from getting replaced. (Even though I think its time Prince came off the bench - if he can earn that privilege vs. Middleton.)

One more time, great win. Its been a long, long time since we had to sit and whine about any kind of real losing streak. We just ended this one at 2, and now its back home, and some quite winnable games are upon us.

Darn, I see Boston came back and won. But they lost whats his name. You know, the guy that passed up shots to boost his assist total. Anyway, somebody needs a point guard now. Maybe they want Bynum? lol

GO PISTONS!!!!!

PS, just studied the boxscore a bit. All three of Daye, CV, and Singler made 2 treys. (Knight made 5), and we made one more 3 than Orlando - 23 tries each team - even though Reddick made 8 of them. And again, we held their leading scorer, Afflalo, to practically nothing. As he is the small forward for Orlando, I guess I have to give Tay some credit there.
    brofmfa, roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  12. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice LeeCap...lets send Stuckey to Boston, he's a point guard, right Ainge?
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Normally no Stuckey = win.
    The Pistons survived Reddicks 6 threes in the first quarter. He hit his first six, but was only 2 for his last 5 to finish with 31 pts, which shared game high honors with BK 7 who not to be out done was 5 of 8 from beyond the arc.

They survived a furious rally by the Magic to grab the lead at the end of the three, but the Pistons knowing that they were 0-21 when trailing after three held on to hold a slim 78-77 lead.

They led 95-90 with about 5 and half minutes left in the left in the game and it looked like the first to 100 would pull this out....but then somehow or another Prince took over and the offense went dead while the Magic scored 8 points in a row to take a 98-95 lead. We fianlly got the ball out of Princes' hands and into Bynums, who assisted on two consecutive threes by Knight and a layup by Monroe to allow the Pistons to score 8 straight and go up 103-98 with a minute and a half left.

With 6.7 seconds left and the Pistons up 104-100, Bynum who had just missed the front end of two free throws fouls Jameer Nelson outside the arc which us folks declared in chat was the stupid play of the game. :frusty: Jameer makes two of the three FTs, and the missed third one got tipped and volley balled for one of the longest 6 seconds in the history of basketball.

A tip in by the Magic who seemed to have grabbed all of the rebounds in this sequence would have tied the game and with our luck, one of them would have gotten fouled or we would have lost it in OT....

I see Mr Lee has already provided most of the highlights....that's what happens when you start your post and then your wife tells you come eat dinner...and you finish up afterwards.....dinner was great by the way as was the victory...
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Thanks. I'd rather have seen Stuckey play the minutes Bynum did tonight - particulary when our subs were in. I would rather not see either Bynum nor Stuckey along side Knight at the end of a game. I would rather see a shooting guard in that situation. So, hey, lets send them Bynum for a future 2nd rounder and reduce our payroll a bit.
  16. copper

copper Bench Warmer

17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I like BK7 at sg, the kid is more fluid and natural there, kinda reminds me of Ray Allen with that quick release too. Plus, he plays dogged defence.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That was a fun game.

I think Reddick might be my favorite non-Pistons players.

I likeed the return of the tall lineup. Kenny English too. Frank couldn't find time for Drummond.

No Stuckey = no problem.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  19. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Drum did have an off game, I am glad he did and we were still able to win. This gave him a chance to sit and watch and maybe restoke the fire a bit. I think we saw some nice minutes by English, nothing fancy, just energy on defence and nice smooth shot on offence without slowing the ball down, it was either a shot or pass, no clock burning. I really hope we can move Stuck and get english some time to grow.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum was an assist machine. Knight was a scoring machine. Nice combo!

English looks really small out there. Point guard size. Like seeing something new though.

Watch charlie on the play with the 7 tips at the end. Pretty comical.