Home Orlando Magic Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Orlando Magic

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 7:30 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit Plus
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Any chance of us taking this one? Damn it's at home. Then no.

Deeeetroit..... aaah, whatever. Sad face.

roscoe36 likes this.
  3. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

KCP vs. AA rematch. Great, hopefully AA isn't feeling it.

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

After his struggles last game, this will be a good test for Andre...how much fight does he have in him?

J-Train and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It'll be a tough one. Big Baby can be a handful.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Hooray a win. If a team plays just like us. We may be able to win on talent.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For only the second time this month, the Palace faithful (the ones that come out to see a cold team on a freezing night) go home with a smile on their face as they were laughing with the Pistons, not at them.

Yep Orlando tanked in the third quarter and then after falling down by 27 midway through the fourth, decided to play some ball to make it respectable. Their rookie of the year candidate Victor O, took on all the Piston scrubs JJ, JORTS, Mitchell, GiGI and Stuckey and outscored them 14-9 over the last 4 mins twarting any chance of the Pistons notching 20+ victory over the Magic.

But at this point...a one point victory was all that was needed to end the 4 game slide.

18 point 3rd quarter lead and this time there was no folding in the Pistons play. Jennings scored 10 of his game high 20 in the beginning of the 4th before sitting with the knowledge that this one was in the bag. Good games by both Singler and Drummond the two stars of today's comparison in the Dallas Mav thread. Singler came off the bench in the third to score 5 quick points to turn back the Magic who were cutting into the 10 point halftime lead.

The Pistons dominated the boards, played defense and played for change like they were better team on the floor that was not going to be punked in the end with a loss. Everybody who played>> scored. Betcha even Mo scores with his lady 2nite:tape2::censored:

One thing we did learn in garbage time, Tony Mitchell needs to teach Drummond how to shoot free throws.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good to have a win. But the team we beat, is now 3-20 on the road. Missing their center. They win seldom. But hey, they are competitive some nights. I watch all their games this season, still fun to watch them, despite all the losing.

Despite Smith only pulling down 2 rebounds, our starting front line still averaged a double double between them. Still functioning great. Drummond had another monster double double with 13-17. Monroe pulled down 11 boards. Smith scored plenty, both hitting some outside, and more importantly, showing he can be darn good going to the hoop. (Again, though, this was Orlando, starting JMAX at center. Or maybe you could consider Davis the center I guess. Whichever, that is a short pair of bigs for them.)

Jennings also both hit some outside shots, and got inside plenty. Twenty points. But you got to note, that is against Nelson, who really can't defend much.

Singler was over plus 20 before garbage time arrived. Good game for him. He opted in on helping around the basket, pulled down 3 offensive rebounds, hit some shots. He started out slow in the first quarter, but got it going after that. Good, getting tired of describing how he was hurting the team. Maybe he read my report or something. Somebody made him at least try to help inside. Again though, this is Orlando. After Afflalo, most nights they have nobody who is much of a threat. So Singler was free to help out. Why not. Its not like Orlando can hit a shot. Ok, Nelson did hit a few to help keep Orlando in the game just a bit.

To start the game, we owned the offensive glass. And no, Orlando scored no buckets off our misses early. One fast break off our turn, thats it. Singler comes in, and the offensive rebounding stopped. For a while. Later, Singler himself pulled down 3 offensive rebounds himself. And he was coming over off his guy to help inside, which he must, to be of any use to the Pistons.

Stuckey was his usual self. Got inside some, hit some pullups.

On a strange note. Coach called time out just seconds into the 2nd half. After the timeout, the Pistons were settling, for several plays down, for the most part, to settle for outside jumpers early in the clock with no offensive rebounders in place. Just strange. And of course, not effective at all.

Although it may seem Pope did horrid on Afflalo, since Afflalo scored a bunch of points off Pope in the 3rd quarter, you must remember Afflalo only got 4 points in the first half. So not really that bad a job.

Game flow. We got a bit of a lead early. Game was even at 16 as Stuckey and Singler came in. We got a bit behind, but managed to eke out a 2 point lead by the time Singler came off the floor late into the 2nd quarter. Then the Pistons starters put on the after burners all the sudden and pulled out ahead by 12.

In the 3rd quarter, our lead dropped to 6, and in came Singler and Stuckey. Again, remember the strange TO? To get us to play the wrong way?

Anyway, before long we started putting the game away, on Smiths shots at first, and Jennings starting to heat up.

Jorts played about 12 key minutes, did just fine. His triple was in garbage time. Also in garbage time, we saw Mitchell go high for a couple of boards, and go 4-4 at the line.

The Panda and brofmfa like this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

That was a great Leecap.

I didn't get to watch the whole game unfortunately, I tuned out at the end of the 3rd.

First off, its great to see Harrelson back in the line up. He is a smart player, he is good on his feet and you can tell he is playing for his career. I like seeing him out there. He only got 3 points, not all of his shots were great, but he played well.

Secondly, this is the Smith we want, sans rebounding. I'm happy for him to pop off 2 or 3 from deep if he goes to work inside. I sure as hell think he should have a hard cap of 15 shots per game. Paired with a couple of assists and a block, I consider this a good outing. Someone said this earlier (and I copied the idea later on) that Smith is the ultimate glue guy, not a #1 option. Tonight he showed that side.

Drummond. 17 rebounds. 5 offensive. This is a modern Dennis Rodman ladies and gents. Even if he didn't score a single point and missed 20 free throws I would still be high on this guy. He fights for position, has an insane second jump and just generally muddles defenses by not wanting to give up a single board. Two blocks and only 1 TO to go with his 13 points on 5-7 (3-4 FT). Good game.

The bad. Brandon Jennings. Man this guy stops momentum with his silly dribbling. And all this rec ball I keep seeing. Ugly. He shouldn't be taking 20 shots. Give some of them to moose.

Bynum. Blergh. Couldn't guard a wet paper bag. Not a great game.

del, Ernie the Slow Adult and Lee356 like this.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

IF we traded Josh smith. Jonas Jerebko and Brandon Jennings to Knicks for Carmelo Anthony-Pistons would be 4th best team in the east THIS year!

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like watching jorts play. He has real potential as a stretch center. Its a rare thing to have that big body, some moderate speed, and a jump shot. Could see him being our under rated bench center for a long time for cheap.

It's about time we got some garbage time where we were actually up.

Laimbrane, del, brofmfa and 1 other person like this.
  12. The Panda

Carmelo and what? Who is our point guard then? Siva?

If the Knicks were serious about trading Melo, firstly I wouldn't do it because its a rental (don't kid yourself, he won't re sign in Detroit), and secondly, I love his jumpshot. Silky smooth.

Here is trade #1 - Its a possibility. Unlikely, sure, but it ticks boxes for every team. Detroit gets a legit wing scorer/star/the love of old skools life. The knicks get high profile players and highlight reel dunks, fadeaway 3 pointers as well as some desperately needed defense and a real point guard - they will probably want to include Felton somehow. Dallas gets legit rim protection (which they desperately need), someone to who can score on the inside (they have no one). Detroit takes a big cap hit in Dalembert, but suck it up because he won't be playing.

Here is my dream trade involving Carmelo Anthony. I don't care what Hollinger says, this trade makes us competitive. Goran Dragic is a LEGIT point guard and a terror in transition. Carmelo Anthony is a big time scorer and gives us a lot of range and the real ability to play small ball with him at the 4. Want to hear something scary? Imagine a line up of Dragic-KCP-Melo-Charlie V-Drummond. That it the premier 3 point bomb squad in the league and its paired with the best offensive boarder in the league. In bursts, that could be the most potent scoring option in the NBA. In reality, we start Dragic/KCP/Melo/Harrellson/Drummond. Some semblance of defense, combined with awesome stretching power (inside out with Harrelson/Melo to get nasty mismatches on the switch yum yum) and a real force inside. We would have to give up future picks for this to happen.

13. Slippy

Panda, u need to turn on your sarcasm radar. Currently it is in the off position.

brofmfa likes this.
  14. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

La La say No NO.

15. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

A win is a win, but this one was frustrating. We looked like a high school All-Star team playing against a group of college seniors who will never play professional basketball. The Magic played competent basketball for the most part. We crushed them with talent. We should have won this thing by 40.

Jorts and Singler continue to be 2 of our 3 best team players, with Smith being the other. Jorts always seems to be in the right place on both ends of the floor. When he goes to the right places, it encourages others to move to where they need to be. He helps out in literally every phase of the game. I thought that he would be a nice 5th big; a practice player. He's turned out to be a very nice 4th big, and you need a 4th big. Singler continues to be the glue that holds this disparate group together. He came in today, and maybe saved this game. Which is sad, since this is a game that shouldn't need saving.

The point guard play on this team is beginning to be a problem. If you look at the box score, then maybe you could conclude that Jennings and Bynum had decent games. This is not true. Jennings' first half chucking was a big part of why this team wasn't up by 20+ points at the half. He scored most of his points on bad shots, after we were already up in the fourth quarter. It would have been more impressive if we would have been down. Jennings is fantastic in the open court, and his scoring is needed, but he can't seem to run the team. He exclusively uses P&R plays to look for his own shot, and he only passes the ball when he thinks that it's an easy assist. Bynum continues to be a reckless, volume scorer. I'm not seeing much of the Bynum who impressed me last year. We could really use a pass-first backup PG who defends and can hit the three; like Billups used to be. He doesn't need to be fantastic, just able to come in and settle the team down.

This team starts to look like a NBA team when the offense is being run through Moose or Smith. That should be used much more. People start cutting and moving when they have the ball, because they know that those two are willing passers, unlike Jennings and Bynum.

Shooting the three, defending the three, and FT shooting continue to be a problem. Look at the box score. Every team becomes the best three point shooting team in the league whenever they play the Pistons. That is an insurmountable problem. Coaching continues to be an issue. Cheeks has to take a timeout 30 seconds into the half. What to they get after that timeout? Five or six strait early contested jumpers from Jennings and Smith. Had they been playing an actual NBA team that would have been a 10 point run against the home team. That's how you lose basketball games.

jzchen, linwood, Lee356 and 3 others like this.
  16. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I have been wanting them to run the offence through Monroe all season and I'm not sure why Mo hasn't seen this yet. His jump shot has improved, so if they sag off, I am happy for him to take it. If they play up on him, it creates space in the lane. If the cutter doesn't get it and he is on the right elbow, he can use that space in behind for himself on one of his strongest moves - his running left hook drive.

J-Train likes this.
  17. The Panda

No need to be mean spirited...

Those are good trades!!

18. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I believe that you are a good person. Those are not good trades. I don't want this team to be a #8/#7 seed for the next 3 years.

The Panda likes this.
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i was actually just joking about the whole thing....except the trading Smith and Jennings part...

The Panda and J-Train like this.
  20. Slippy

I thought you were channelling blue.