Away Orlando Magic Wednesday Nov 21 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I see nothing wrong with swopping out 5 guys. Especially if they play well together and the second unit can buy some rest, not degrad the point balance.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Come on Scoe you can't slip this pass me. Rick C. sunk himself. Even if there were some player grumblings. They bought into LB for 1.5 years. Flip and the boys could not get past ECF period.
    And one coach they just stopped talking to, they had to go 5th amendment on his azzzz. You know, where you have the right to remain silent.

3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

If they play well together...ala the alternatorz circa 2002/2003 then yeah, a full 5 man swat would work...but the 5 that Larry swapped in is not suited to do anything.....the problem is the groupings Larry uses not the players necessarily.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

His name is Lawrence. He is Lawrence Frank. I understand you call him Larry, the familiar of Lawrence, to express your contempt for him, but when you call him Larry, it's hard to tell if you are talking about Larry Brown.

You see, it's Lawrence Frank, not Larry Frank, and it is Larry Brown, not Lawrence Brown.

5. copper

copper Bench Warmer

News Flash....Larry Brown doesnt coach the Pistons anymore. When reffering to Larry Brown I will call him by his name Larry Brown..or Mr Ferley...sorry for confusion, when Larry Frank deserves to be called by his birth name I will take the time to type additional letters. Until that time I may resort to a simple L when mentioning him.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You should call Larry Brown Lawrence. That would complete the circle.

7. copper

copper Bench Warmer

the circle of life for the Pistons head coach

8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

You can excuse any one thing over the last 8 years when its coach/player relations... but the culture of that dynamic over the years is the biggest failure IMO of Joe's leadership. Players performing on the court is and always be a crap shoot. Players though are paid great amounts of money to play a game. In this day and age if they don't like playing for a team there free to move on after there rookie contract. If they don't like it here they have had there chance to move on. That is what bothers me so much about these non stop player revolts, if Stuckey or Prince don't like it here... they had no body to blame but themselves for still being here.

You never see this happen PERIOD with the Spurs, the team we all wanted to compare ourselves to.

The lack of respect shown towards the person who is coaching by the fans is getting sad also, you can complain about his calls and rotations... but he's still a person at the end of the day and deserves respect as a man. Fans love to think we know more then the men coaching and doing behind the scenes stuff. While I love to play monday morning QB and play with the trade machine, the idea we actually know more then the men paid to do this job is laughable at best, pathetic at worst. If we were so good at it, why the heck havn't we started coaching at the Jr high level and moved up to the pro's because of our great success?

Sorry for the rant, but somedays the delusion I read on this GREAT forum make me skip a day or two of reading because my faith in humanity sure takes a hit.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

On the other hand, if the coaches are so good at it why do they all get fired?

brofmfa and linwood like this.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"He says he's a gangster but his name is Lawrence"

11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

You question is laughable at best, pathetic at worst.

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think it's a bit of a joke.

Mogilny likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I agree with you on the idea of Frank being stubborn. Absurdly so, to the point of serious detriment. But I don't agree with the idea of him being content to lose.

14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Hold on, what? I agree on the whole back seat coaches bit, but how many people have actually gone out on a limb and said 'I can do better with this team than Lawrence Frank'.

Frank is obviously doing something wrong. All of the posts have been along the lines of, "hey, this is what I think the coach is doing wrong"/"I think this could improve the team", not "Frank is a dumbass, I could legit coach Popovich out of the building." The distinction is not always so clear, but it is very important.

15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't think Frank is stubborn or overly obstinate. I think he is conservative. Change happens. It just happens slower than most would like.

I think the staff needs to look at the dismal shooting across the entire roster. What is wrong? I think there is a philosophical mental block instilled via the coaches principles. If you look at the coaches corner where they talk about the types of shots and the value each has, and look at how the team plays, you see that Frank values points in the paint. Why does Jerebko pump fake an open 3 to brick a contested long 2? He wants to create a lane and get to the basket. Until recently, only Maxiell tossed up shots with any confidence. Where does he do it. At the free throw line. The 2nd most valuable spot in Frank's system. Besides Tay, who shoots at the elbow or short corners? It always at the freethrow line or 3 pt line. Guys in the midrange will move from the open spot to a closer contested spot and try to make something happen. I generally like this style of basketball but you need a decent midrange threat to be less predictable. Like defense, scoring is a mindset. Its skill, experience and spirit. Both your muscle movements and your spirit (call it confidence, zanshin, whatever) must be honed to take advantage of the moment. Watch Maxiell shoot and its apparent from the base to the release. He is focused, confident, coordinated. Compare that to Monroe. Monroe doesn't want to shoot it. He is looking for an opening to exploit to get closer to the basket. The opening though is the space in front of him. He shoots it but both his mechanics and spirit is off a bit. He is taking the least valuable shot in the system and it shows.

Beyond that, our guards show a distinct lack of variety in their shots. 3's and layups. What about floaters? runner? fadeaways? What about jabs or step backs? Maybe I'm just missing it.

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Agreed slippy, there are all Pro's and unless your a Ben Wallace type player, if your on the floor and have a clean look I've always been one that thinks you should shoot it, otherwise you shouldn't be on the floor. Obviously if you can make a fast pass for an even better open shot thats the smart play... but dribbling or faking yourself into a harder shot is not smart basketball.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Great post. The Pistons players and offense are so one dimensional.

Will Bynum is the only player on the roster that can shoot off the dribble. It is ri-goddamn-diculous.

I think you can cross 3 balls off the list of things the guards can do unless you literally mean they can stand behind the line and release a shot.