Orlando's 2007 or 2008 pick just got better

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tpaPistonFan, Feb 22, 2006.

1. tpaPistonFan

tpaPistonFan First Round Draft Pick

Ok without Francis the Orlando Magic are doomed for at least 3 years. Even if they are able to sign a decent free agent or 2 plus a 2006 lotto pick I don't see them being a playoff team for sometime. DHoward is a great bball player, but the rest of the team are unknowns. Hill is always hurt, Nelson is a shoot first point guard, Darko is unknown, Hedo sucks!!! The first order of business - who is the starting point guard (Carlos, Dooling or Nelson)? Should they start Darko since they have given up? With Fran leave Spain next year and join the Magic? If he does what happens to Darko?

I doubt we get the 2007 pick because the magic will be drafting in the top 3 spots. But all bets are off in 2008 and the Magic will again probably be drafting in the top 3 - 5 spots.

It looks like JD may have pulled the wool over Orlando's eyes again.. Good job Joe, but maybe you stop screwing over the Magic since I do get all their games for free (on TV).. :)
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Always me, me, me. You Floridians are so selfish! ;) :laugh:

I think Joe made the best deal out of a bad situation, heck a GREAT deal out of a bad situation.

Now, the Pistons potentially have two picks in a super deep draft. Which Magic pick will be known in a few months, giving Joe another very tradeable asset if it is for 08. Smart stuff.
  3. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

No, you are mistaken. The first order of business is to secure a back up for Billups. :frusty:
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I think the Magic have a chance to make the playoffs next year. Dont forget, that before this 1-10 slide they were in the playoff hunt.

Darko and Dwight will be a formidable front court. Ariza will beat out Hedo, and help at the 3. If Grant can stay healthy, it wont matter who plays the point.

As far as Carlos "the dribbler" goes, I'm pretty sure he'll be on his sixth team in six years next year.
  5. tpaPistonFan

If you take the Pistons and the Heat out of the mix every team in the East including New York are in the playoff hunt. I would be willing to bet money that the Magic don't make the playoffs next year, are you?? If so contact me (using the private message function) and we can bet.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm thinking late lottery or mid 1st round in 07. Orlando does have phenomenal luck but unless the team totally implodes, they should do ok.

Jameer will emerge as a solid talent.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Forget what I just wrote, Orlando is going into full mode rebuilding, they're trading GHill's contract next year, they're dumping vets, and Jameer will likely be the new starter. Lottery pick next year.

Someone from the orginization said "Grant will probably not like the direction is going to take next year" and would probably feel more comfortable on a contending team.

On a side note, get to see them play the nets on tv tonight, I'll let you guys know how the Serbian OG and The Dribbler look.
  8. tpaPistonFan

Thanks. I will also watch a bit of the game. If it was anything like last night don't expect to see either one too much.
  9. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

I agree that this trade makes Orlando worse, however in the Eastern Conference you are never far from the playoff hunt. That Magic team is definately very young and inexperienced. They are also shallow, or whatever the opposite of "deep" is. I have seen Disivion II schools with more talent than Orlando's bench.

That being said the Magic do have some promising players and good balance. Jameer Nelson and Carlos Arroyo are both good complimentary players who can PRODUCE. They have players like Turkoglu and Garrity who can stretch the defense. The Magic have plenty of size, quickness, and athletacism. With good coaching they could become a very good defensive team. I wouldn't be so quick to declare them an annual bottom feeder, especially when their team is far from being fully assembled. I wouldn't be suprised if they make the playoffs next year. I am pretty sure that they won't be earning a Top 5 pick in 2007.
  10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I'll reserve judgment untill I see what kind of Draft/Free Agency they have.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think Stevie leaving makes them better... extremely selfish PG... low% shooter... now what they do with his contract clearing the books is what makes it interesting... keep an eye out for a FA signing or a trade using their cap space... Maybe they'll move Hills contract next year for more young talent....Next years final product is far from being completed.
    I'll give the Magic credit for not sitting on their hands when they know something has to change (the Knicks went overboard).
  12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i disagree

the magic just got better in 1 week. yes they are rebuilding but they are going to spend the rest of this year doing that. they won't have that youthful phase in 2007.

jameer has already shown he can play. yes he is a score first point guard but he does that very well. who runs the point between nelson, arroyo and dooling is a position many teams would like to be in.

d. howard is a beast and him and carlos have already started the courtship for a new session of man love. his numbers will only increase with arroyo running the show.

arroyo may have found a home. he's near home so he'll be an instant fan favorite. he's also found finishers like ariza, d. howard, arroyo will contend for the league lead in assists next year. he's surrounded by shooters in nelson, stephenson, hedo, garrity so the penetration lanes will be available.

darko is the underestimated element of this team. he's the truth. he's allowed to play his true position of power forward. he's paired with a very strong rebounder so he can concentrate on blocking shots and 1 on 1 defending bigs that other teams can't. he's also paired with a great finisher in d. howard to pass to. darko will also be getting exactly what he needs which is regular minutes.

yes. this team is young but that doesn't mean they aren't good.
  13. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Actually I like Orlando. I'm thought they would make the p-offs this year.

What was that bet again?

bball jay on Darko
    LMAO, the real truth...not the phoney PP, right! Man I needed that.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

Re: i disagree

I admire your optimism.
  15. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

I'm guessing late lotto for 2007. I actually really like the moves they're making-Arroyo, Nelson, Howard, Milicic, plus a lotto pick this year-they're putting together some nice young talent. They also cleared a lot of space with the Francis trade (that was also a good move).

However, the FA crop this summer is pretty weak, so I don't see anyone that's going to improve them overnight, which means I still think we'll get a reasonably decent pick. If I were them, I would try to resist the temptation to sign anyone this summer and save the space for the following one.
  16. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

laugh now but just keep watching. the rest of this season darko is going to be getting the equivalent of what other # 2 picks got right in thier rookie season. he was always pretty good in my book but he will improve with leaps and bounds with the increased playing time.
  17. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

He might end up being a decent player in this league, hey I'll be rooting for him, but lets not call him "the truth" just yet...
  18. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I think the Magic got way better with this trade....

Gives them salary cap flexibility as well and adding Ariza will be good. He is a young and athletic forward who is healthy pushing Hedo and Grant at the 3.

THey could get another significant free agent with that cap space next year so I really don't know about our promised draft pick. But I'm thinking the middle to late rounds will do for Joe. His record for those lower picks are way better.

Arroyo is playing well and he will stick around over there, IMO. Darko Darko Darko, well, he said it was a horrible experience over here in Detroit but I'm placing him way up in front of their depth chart so he will work out.
  19. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Magic coach Brian Hill used Milicic in the Magic's 105-92 loss to the Cavaliers. Milicic played nearly four minutes, scoring his lone basket on a pretty reverse layup in the second quarter. "That's the fewest minutes he's going to see all season," Hill said about Milicic.

Read that and it makes you think maybe bball jay could be right but.... then read this
    Orlando coach Brian Hill said Milicic will be given every opportunity to play, but the third-year center has to learn the team's system first.

then read his stat line for tonights game
    D. MilicicDNP - Coach's Decision

now where have i seen that before:confused:
  20. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I caught that. :)

How's the weather in Canada these days? ;)