OSU vs. UM

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Buckeyes#1, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Thanks ggazoo69. Maybe there will be a rematch! I hope so! The best rivalry in all of sports (sorry Piston fans) two times in two months!!! I do think UM is the #2 team in the nation. No shame to lose to the #1 team by 3 points on their field.
  2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

For many years I have believed that if the No 2 team loses to the No 1, they should not drop at all. The #1 is supposed to beat the #2.

I think Rutgers was losing, and who else can claim to be better than UM, except OSU?? Nobody, that's who !!!
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did they have to call that helmet to helmet personal foul?

He chased him all the way across the field.
    It did not appear intentional.
    It was 3 and 15 and there was no chance of completion.
    The QB was not even shaken up, much less hurt by the contact.

I'm not saying that U of M would have won, but the game was really revving up to be an all time classic. The Instead of being down 4 with 7 minutes, it was a 2 score game with 5 minutes. Huge difference.

It was a great game anyway, but who wants to see a judgment call on a play that didn't affect the game determine the outcome... besides Musberger.
  4. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Actually, I've spent most of the evening on the UM forum at detnews and much to my surprise, they were basically unanimous that it was the UM players fault. None of them were blaming the officials on that one. OSU had a similar call go against them earlier in the game when they hit their center on the punt. The refs called it right both times but I think both rules are lame.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The personal foul was called because of the helmet to helmet, but how many of those occurred during the game that wasn't called? Can't say it was the key play of the game at this time, but it defined the the last six minutes of the game and ended the Wolverines chances of pulling out a come from behind thrilling instant classic when they were in striking distance.

Where was the deef? 900 yards and 81 points from the two best defensive teams in the country???

A let down loss by USC to UCLA after beating the irish next week, could put the Wolverines in the National title game where they have 50 days to figure out Troy Smith and Buckeye spread offense. I doubt that the Bucs could squeeze off long runs like they did today. Give them credit as deserve their number 1 ranking...
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not saying it was a wrong call. It just didn't need to be called. The purpose of that rule is to deter future hits like that. It didn't have any affect on the play whatsoever. To me, it is like an excessive celebration penalty. Those are fine, but not in a situation that determines the probable outcome of the "game of the century."

I mean automatic 1st down and 15 yards? That gave them new life and place them directly in fields goal range. Way too much for a borderline hit that occured in bounds.
  7. max

max All-Star

It was only a 3 point win.

Who knows the 2 teams may play again. If UM is still ranked #2 that is.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think USC will move past 'em, Max. Hope I'm wrong. A wise person on the detnews Big 10 forum said that USC would probably beat UM in a head-to-head because Pete Carroll would outcoach Lloyd and his band of reknown. And I agree.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The BCS demands O.S. play one more game. O.S. doesn't determine the opponent. Any faltering of the top teams and Mich. is back in.
    So if played on a neutral field do you think O.S. could put up 500 yds of O. again?
  10. lazyberbs

One thing has not been brought up, at least I don't think so. That is, the condition of the field. I wonder if the fresh re-sodding of the field and the huge amount of rain since then, effected the offense or the defense more. I am wondering if that is a reason both teams scored as high as they did.

I do think that both teams had offenses that were underrated and therefore scored higher than we thought.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

put those guys on a fast field and total points would be 100.
    A Bo team would have been blown off the field. Did Mich lose a Dlineman to injury?
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Tresel (sp) always comes up with a new wrinkle to burn Michigan... the 5 receivers was a brilliant manuever. The Lion diehards know the way to beat "run n shoot" is to blitz the QB (more defenders on the line than the offense).
    Hats off to the Buckeyes O line for slowing down the pass rush that appeared unstoppable.

Rematch... Rematch!
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If anyone here has ever played backyard football, you know that a sloppy field favors the offense. There is a reason that single coverage doesn't work in the NFL. Whoever makes the first move has the advantage. That is magnified when the defender can't cut.

This is a big reason for those break out plays where the offensive player didn't make any cuts at all.
  14. max

max All-Star

ESPN reported that UM is still ranked at #2 since the game was so close. Good news for most outside of Lansing.

They were saying that since UM beat NotreDame earlier that ND has to beat USC for UM to hang onto the #2.

So if ND wins we get the rematch, if USC wins then its not going to happen.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Just one more reason for a playoff... who exactly is preventing this from happening?... seems like nobody supports the current system.
  16. max

max All-Star

One would think so. Take the top 10 teams or so and have 1 game elimination.

I don't really follow it that much so perhaps someone who does can provide some insight. Its better than the previous system where there was not even a title game. Just too many schools now.
  17. lazyberbs

It seems to me that if you keep adding games, the players would not have much time to do actual classroom work. The primary reason for kids to go to college is to get an education and it keeps getting more and more difficult.

If most of the college football players are going to make a career of it, then the games would be more important than they are even now. But such a small percentage of college athletes earn a living at it, they just have to get some education.

When you see the playbooks they have to learn for sports, it is a wonder they have any brain space left for college studies.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was roomates with an athlete from Michigan and hung out with a lot of the other guys in the programs. Trust me, their grades will not suffer by playing a few extra games.

A good system would be to take the top 8 teams and run a 3 week playoff system like the final four tourney in bball. It would be huge. 1 and 2 loss teams could still have a shot at it. It would eliminate the situations where teams have to disrespect smaller schools by blowing them out. If you are on the bubble and don't get in, you probably don't have a shot of winning it all anyway. They could cut one of the non-conference games at the start of the season to make room for it.
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

3 weeks is too long...I think 2 weeks and the top 4 teams would be good
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just think that the 5th team in the country still has a shot at winning it all. The 9th team... probably not.

My system would be better for MSU.