Other Games Around the League

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Oct 28, 2009.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm loving this conversation. :pound:

Agreed, but I think that it's the other way around - we're the Spurs East. (Or at least we WERE.)

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

In 2004 we were. Now we're one good GM, good PG, good supersub, HOF coach, HOF PF short.

3. Walter

Watched the San Antonio-Utah game last night. Great game where both teams played a very hard fought, playoff-type game. Some key takeaways from that game:

• San Antonio is scary good. I really recommend catching some SAS games if you get a chance. They play great team basketball and execute very well. On the defensive end, I've never seen a team that active and that good since our '04 squad. On the offensive end, the ball and the players NEVER stop moving for 48 minutes. Regardless of who's on the floor, in every posession there are at least 3 players running around non-stop. Not once they went to a 1-on-1 ISO play where everybody's standing around watching the ball. And this is a team that actually has players that can score on ISOs. If they stay healthy, the road to the Finals go through them.
    • Pops is great at managing minutes. The youngsters are getting lots of minutes and the top guys are all averaging less than 33 mpg.
    • Deron Williams is the most underrated PG in the league. He is an amazing defender. He recorded 39 points, 9 assists and 4 boards. He shot 16/24 from the field. When you remove the 5 3-pointers he missed, he actually shot 16/19 from the 2 point range. And, that's on a sprained wrist on his shooting hand and a twisted ankle! I think he's even better than the vision that Stuckey was when he was drafted.
    • Utah is a very frustrating team. They have all the assets to be a great team, but they go through long stretches of suckage. I think they need to dump Kirilenko and get a tough SF. If somehow Melo landed there, they would be scary good.
    • Al Jefferson is a beastie. He's an amazing scorer and his defense is not as bad as people make it out to be. If Joe really passed up an opportunity to sign him this past summer, he should be fired.
    • On another thread people were talking about SG replacements for Stuckey. In this game, I counted three: CJ Miles, George Hill, Gary Neal.
    • Sloan went with the double PG backcourt of Watson/Williams for a long stretches and it really worked well for Utah.
    • Watson has this amazing chemistry with rookie Jeremy Evans. They pulled off two amazing alley-oops where Evans caught and jammed it in, both times being surrounded by 3 defenders. I guess this year Evans only had 29 FG made. 21 were dunks and 11 of those were alley-oops from Watson. They're not gonna win any trophies, but it was fun to watch them. Evans is freakishly athletic.
    • Okur is still not even 50%. He passed up several wide-open 3 point shots in the 4th and was 0-4 from the field. But he had 2 sweet assists.
    • I always thought that Utah would be a partner to trade Rip as they need an SG. I was wrong. There is nothing Rip can bring to Utah that they don't already have.
    The one thing that is really painful though is when you watch two quality teams go at it like this, you realize just how bad the Pistons currently are. We are soooooooo far away from contending it's not even funny.

4. coynejeremy

Excellent writeup. I think you're spot on in your assessment of the Jazz. I almost went to this game with a friend who is a Spurs fan but we scored tickets to the #9 BYU - #4 San Diego State matchup instead (the best basketball game I've attended in my life, by the way, though I haven't been to very many).

5. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Surprised you didn't mention how bad Utah is defensively.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Should I call Dwight at Dunder-Miflin and order a box of pink slips for you. Let's re-trace the events shall we.......

According to an article written by Keith Silvertongue Langlois Joe passed up a deal where we could have moved Rip for an expiring contract or trade him to a team that could have absorbed Rip's contract because he wanted "value" back in return for Rip, that deal would have allowed us to completely absorb Jefferson's contract as they aren't going to use the Trade Exception obtained from Utah.

7. Walter

Relatively speaking. Compared to SAS, they suck. Compared to us, they're a defensive juggernaut.

Williams is a good defender. Jefferson is good enough. Kirilenko and Millsap are at least not liabilities. Everybody else sucks defensively on that team, including the much overrated Raja Bell.

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Earl Watson isn't bad. He isn't great, but he isn't bad.

When he played for the Sonics, my friends were all excited for Ridnour, but I preferred Watson. He's not really great at any part of the game, but he isn't really bad at anything either.

I think next season I may have to get leaguepass. With the Sonics gone, and the Pistons rebuilding, I am in bball no-man's-land.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice game tonight at the MSGarden as the Heat failed again to beat a team with a winning record coming from ahead to lose the Knicks 93-88. Of their 31 wins, only six have come over teams with winning records....not that there that many out there...

DWade had 33 points at the end of 3, but only scored 1 in the 4th as he was 0-8 from the field and 1-4 from the line... James had already thrown up his share bricks in the game shooting 7-24, so to see Wade miss 8 straight in the 4th made Spike Lee, Alicia Keys, Tracy Morgan, Donald Trump, Howard Stern and Yours Truly very happy. ...Except they were all there and I had to watch it on the tube...

Wade with his cool new goggles was almost a one man team with 34 pts, 16 brds, 5 assists and 6 turnovers...it was reported that he was playing with a migraine...:sssh:

With Bosh still out, supposed Heat mid season savior Mike Miller contributed 0 pts as did Heat center Zero Ilgauskas

10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

People think the pistons offense and coaching stinks... Just wow... Wow..... WOW....

the offense in the 4th quarter for miami as there in a fight to win the fight was let a star get the ball at 20 secs on the clock and let him go 1 on 5.... and I had to agree with Reggie as he's all but calling the coach to call timeout.

There is no way in heck they win a title this year unless something really changes with that team......

Can I say I love it :D

11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That was a beautiful thing to watch. Bron and Wade were chucking bricks and taking turns playing one-on-one against their defenders and Spoelstra couldn't do anything about it. He had to stand there and take it.

When a head coach doesn't have the clout to call a T-O when the team needs one, you got problems.

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The crowd was loving it but it was ugly...but the Knicks weren't exactly lighting it up either. They looked like the John Starks era Knicks for a while.

13. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Not in terms of defensive rating. They're 22nd in the league allowing 109 points per 100 possessions. We're 25th allowing 109.8.

That that for what it's worth.

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Hey hey, now. Easy guys.

Maybe LeBarf had an excuse for his poor shooting. Maybe somebody told him it was a playoff game? :MusicBigGrin:

I still firmly believe these guys are going to win the championship this year. :(

Unfortunately, Riley will figure it out. Lots of time. Lots of time.

15. coynejeremy

Maybe this is an obvious question, but how do you mean that - didn't have the clout to call a timeout? Do you mean that he didn't have anything to say or do in a timeout that the players would listen to or respect?

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is strange how they've evolved. They went from defensive to offense. They're shooting a lot of 3-pointers and going to Duncan way less often on offense than they used to. Basically, they are looking like the 2006 Pistons instead of the 2004 Pistons.

Regular season dominators and WCF chokers? I could see that happening.

17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He looked scared to call a T-O when his two All-Stars were breaking-off offensive sets and sending brick after brick in the general direction for the basket.

It looked to me like James and Wade were taking turns coaching that mess last night. Last time I checked, guys like Pop, Phil Jax, Doc Rivers and Ron Jeremy are better coaches than Lebron and Wade.

...I hope that this trend continues!

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They definitely have some potential issues. It will be interesting to see how they respond to true playoff adversity. Also, it will be interesting to see how they respond if they feel like their coach is getting out coached and it might cost them a ship.

19. Walter

That team has enough talent to win it all. The problem is the clash of egos. If they play like a team, they'll be very tough to beat. If they play like they did last year, give-me-the-ball-and-get-out-of-the-way offense, they'll lose. Both Wade and LeBron are great individual players, but their gigantic egos dumb them down so much that they still don't realize they are on the floor at the same time wearing the same jersey.

20. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

A team with no set plays and no go to guy in the 4th will get clobbered in the playoffs when good teams crank up the defense. It's no wonder that the Heat lose all their close games (5 points or less). I believe this soft coached, playground playin team will fold in the playoffs as players begin squabbling.