Other Games Around the League

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It looks like we can cross the Spurs off the list of contenders. It seems that Pop is encouraging Tim Duncan to stay out of the paint and shoot jumpers.

How crazy is that, isn't Duncan one of their older guys? Get in the paint and bang and for the love of God draw some fouls.

I wonder if Pop has had some sort of breakdown, it might be time for him to step down.

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

[​IMG]

3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

i'm not saying that JoeD is always right but I'm saying that GMs do not have crystal ball. Drafting Darko was huge mistake but instead of labeling JoeD "dumb" I'm willing to understand why he chose Darko over you know who. Dominant big men are rarities among of rarities. Take it when you have a chance.

Also there are moves for GMs "you can control" and "you can't control"

Darko's future ( or any baller's developement) is "you can't control", all what you have is the hope that everything goes well.

What JoeD "can control" was ( and is) firing/hiring coaches. Trades need partners-out of control.

The worst move IMO was not hiring Flip Saunders( what Larry Brown did went out of control) but not firing him a year earlier than it actually happened. Team desperately needed wakeup call and Saunders was for this task way too soft.

who knows maybe Alf and Amir develope better players than our current rookies but I'm ready to take into account various risks GMs are facing with multiple choices every day.

Since when hindsight wisdom has helped GMs to choose players from the draft?

In my book "mistakes by GM" are:
    desperate overpaying
    creating hopeless logjams in the roster( yeah, there is logjam in SG line here but it is very far from hopeless).
    inconsistent trading "habit", for instance, Memphis gave away Pau Gasol( to clear capp spayce) but a year later they were willing to take Zach Randolph. WTF?

there may be more but...

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Are you saying that you think we should have hired Flip Saunders in 2005?

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound:

Definitely post of the day, perhaps the week or month.

6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

There is probably now way that JoeD could have foreseen "madness of Larry Brown".

When JoeD hired Saunders he almost certainly did not envision him as "the cure for complacency" because of JoeD assumed that his group is full adullts who behave responsibly.

It became clear( I think) during Saunder's 2nd year that coach is not actually suitable for this team and change is needed. Yet JoeD hesitated....

7. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Some tonight's games will be excellent to watch!!

Denver @ Miami
    Spurs @ Blazers
    Phoenix @ Boston

Anyone predicts the winners? I'll go with Denver, Boston and Blazers..

8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Miami
    Spurs
    Boston

9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

And the winnner for The Most Creative Use of Algebra in Sports goes to....
    :winner_first_h4h:

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Denver, Portland and Boston...

Denver is proving to be tough (5-0) and the SPurs have so far been bad on back to backs even though this only their second one this season....

11. max

max All-Star

I sometimes wonder if we would have re-tooled around CB and Rip and moved Tay instead. Thing is how much longer can CB go? If not this year then next year he is likely to start hitting the wall. He was already slowing down some in 07/08. But hey - he rejuvenated his career since the trade so good for him.

Sheed? There is no way he would be playing like that if he was still here. Boston fans love him - it's 04 all over again for him.

Around the league. I was shocked with Lebran did not get the call in Thursday nights loss to the Bulls. I mean good call because it was not a foul but last year he would have got that for sure at home. Maybe the Donaghy papers are having an effect. Start cleaning some of the old practices up a bit.

12. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I see Sheed is causing a few problems in Boston with his three.

""""""Rasheed Wallace had eight points, missing all six 3-point attempts — five of them in the fourth quarter. “The only thing I didn’t like, with 3½ minutes left, instead of searching for wide-open 2-pointers, we went into 3 mode. And I didn’t think we had to do that,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. “That, to me, was uncharacteristic of us.”""""""""""""

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm sure that play will be on the videotapes sent out by the league next week. :stirthepot:

14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I'm watching this Lakers/Grizz game right now on League Pass and I just had to say to someone (you guys) that the Lakers announcers are absolutely the most unbearable homers I've ever heard in all of basketball. I mean they just gush over the team and they don't even sound like announcers, they sound like fans that are playing karaoke sports announcer for the night as an award for some Laker fan contest. They are truly horrible and I've had to watch the last half with the game on mute. "The best player in the world and we get to watch him every night." Nauseating. Just when you're about to appreciate Kobe's game, these kind of people just turn you against him.

15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

CB is good for team chemistry. He's a natural leader. We lost our leader last season and it shows even today. Ben will not be the answer.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Wrong Buck, he is playing totally different than when he was here and trying now.

17. LA Dre

Kim the Laker announcers have been like that for years..and that is why I dreaded them winning the title because I would have to hear about the self congratulatory mode for a whole year. Having league pass for a number of years, I have heard a bunch of homers, but Rick Kamla and former Piston Stu Lantz do go over board especilially Kamla goes balistic whenever the Lakers take a lead [STRIKE]late in a game[/STRIKE]any time in a game.

The Clipper anouncers get excited too, but have not had the opportunity to really get excited in the last few years, but I am sure they got off last night as the Clipps rolled over Warriors 118-90 and at one point had a 34 pt lead. My wife and I attended the game up here in Oakland last night, and she kind of embarrased me as she was still yelling defense to the Clipper players with five mins left in the game and the Clippers were up by 30.

In fact at the end of the third qtr it was 91-61 and 10,000of the 19000 fans on hand at the arena made a mad exodus to the exit and by the time the game was over the only people left in the arena was me and Ms dre, the players and the security.

When I saw the Pistons play here in Golden State last year, there were about two to three thousand Piston fans cheering and only Pistons fans were the only ones left in the arena. This time there were no Clipper fans but me, my wife and a few Clipper relatives....

That means the Piston fan base travels further than Clipper base ......:sssh:

18. LA Dre

Ok folks who have been watching the other games on LP....who is the best one loss team or is still to early??

Boston is 6-1 and these remaiining teams are all 5-1
    Miami
    Orlando
    Phoenix
    Denver
    LA Lakers

and who has the worst team out of the block
    0-6 Nets
    1-5 Knicks
    1-5 Wolves
    1-3 Warriors
    1-5 Memphis
    1-4 Kings

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Wow, I didn't realize MIA is 5-1. Even though I live in Phoenix, last night was the first time I watched the Suns play. They looked good. When J Rich is hot he is tough to stop. So they've gone on the road and handed BOS and MIA their only losses? They're not the best team, but if I was doing a power rankings they would be my #1.

Orlando is the worst 1 loss team.

Sacto is the worst team and MN is the best of that group.

20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I was at that game Dre! My mom and I had great seats right behind the basket near the Pistons bench where I could get great looks at you know who (the ex-Piston whose nickname starts with A. and ends with I.). There were alot of Pistons fans at that Golden State game, alot of Detroit jerseys and even handmade signs! Bay Area representing.

I really really like the Golden State fan base. It must be living in the Bay Area or something. I can only call those Warrior fans enthusiastic, optimistic, fun-loving and exuberant. Seattle was okay too. I think you need a big enough city with a cosmopolitan enough population. In Portland and Sacramento I find the general fan vibe in the arenas to be so hostile. It's like all this angry edgy mass mentality of free floating antagonism floating in the air in those arenas. They scream at the opposing players inane stuff like "Hey so and so why don't you go back to college and get your degree because you're so stupid". Just real ignorant stuff. I like intelligent fans that are having fun. So far I'm not wild about the Sacramento team or fan base and I might have to move to Oakland after all. LOL. By God, I'm going to end up in an NBA city with a team and a fanbase I like. Period. P.S. I can't handle the Midwest winters so Detroit is out. I love my Pistons but I can't hang with long dark winters. Gotta see them on the road. As I always do. I'll be seeing them in Portland on November 18 as I have a dogsitting job back in the Seattle area for a month.