1. Summer League Starts SATURDAY July 1 More info HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Other games around the league

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I do not know exactly where to put this post. This seems like a good place as any though. I plan to do a lot of writeups, commenting on the other teams I follow, mostly which I follow due to ex - Pistons being on those teams. In review, Washington, nope. No ex - Pistons. Cleveland, Daye might make the team. Not following them for that, just started to follow Irving's career and I want to continue that. NY for Afflalo. Boston for Amir. Clips for Smith. And Milwaukee for Middleton, and now Monroe as well. So except for when I am talking about Washington, I will kind of be talking about ex - Pistons. So here goes.

First, I did watch that game now where Daye got the nine rebounds. Not a great game for him at all, but still some contributions, putting him at least in the running with several other guys trying to hang on to a roster spot in Cleveland. Daye has a make good contract at the moment. In this game, Daye did not really stick out from the few others looking to land the same roster spot. But none of them hit 4 straight clutch 3's the game before like Daye did. So who knows.

Oh, and I will also, as I writeup these games, comment on the player rankings, which I will review before each writeup, giving my opinions on who is not ranked correctly or who is. I will make these comments with little or no thought about other comments, so hey, means I am not going backwards to revise any such comments to make them match or lineup in any way. Just commenting and trying to keep my ideas free flowing.

New York beat Washington. Got to follow two of my teams in the same game. I automatically found myself routing for Afflalo's team, even though Afflalo has a hamstring problem keeping him out of action. Washington is starting Humphries now, who looked pretty darn good, extending his range out to the 3 line. The theory is to let Nene be more fresh for the playoffs.

Anyway, the Wiz started out with the upper hand, but the Knicks came back strong on the backs of 2 players. One, Derrick Williams, who is at rank #239 per the ESPN article. This guy pretty much scored a point a minute, just unstoppable going inside against the Washington interior D. Some guys I feel Williams should be ranked ahead of include Gary Neal who is at 230, Jarrod Dudley at 173, and and certainly Otto Porter at 111. No, this does not mean I think Williams belongs at 111. Otto Porter does not belong there. At least not yet.

The other guy was the Mela Fella. One of those inhuman level shooting performances. Everything went in, no matter how closely guarded. The Wiz fell down by 15, evened it out on the strength of great shooting by the Real Beal. Nice to see Beal healthy. I almost thought of switching to another team to follow, since he has been injured so much, and following him and Wall are why I have been following the Wiz.

In the end, NY's bench came back out, and that meant Williams again was unstoppable and the game was quickly out of reach for Washington.

Two other players I want to mention for NY. Porzingis, ranked 192. Forget that. This guy has unending length, can shoot outside, post up, and do midrange pull - ups. I'd rank him well ahead of Williams, cause a center is just so important to how many wins a team gets. And of course, since Washington does not have enough interior D really, I may be overating the performance by Williams as far as crashing inside at will in this game.

And O'Quinn, I guy I followed before when he was on Orlando. O'Quinn is the type of player we should have gotten for the power forward spot. Good range. Stong player. His #228 ranking not nearly good enough. As Melo said, he expects the the Knicks to compete this year well, and I agree. Calderon and Jerian Grant are certainly not the worst pair of point guards you could have. Afflalo and Galloway give them plenty enough talent at shooting guard. Melo at small forward, nuff said. And 3 quality bigs in Robin Lopez, Porzingis, and O'Quinn. And I like Saraphin there for even more depth up at the bigs position.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Walter, Mogilny and brofmfa like this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

It does not matter to me much which way we go with where I post this kind of stuff. I'd say keeping it here is as good as anywhere.

So, I watched the Clippers game. The Clips have a solid starting group for sure, even with Paul sitting with a minor finger fracture at the moment.

But their bench is poor, and this notion of making Smith the center for the 2nd unit looks pretty darn crazy from this first look at it. Mind you, when Paul comes back, they move a better point over to the bench. But hey, Charlotte did not go small, at all, and no way Smith could all alone guard the middle. Valient effort, but disastrous results. Smith's play in and of itself was great, lot of fun to watch. But the unit he is with, at least for this game, was non - functional, laughable at best. Note, Pierce was playing power forward along side Smith at center. Nuts. Smith got to the line a few times, hit 1 of his 2 threes, and often was seen going inside and scoring over their players. Fun to watch. And on D, Smith battles with all he has. But again, no way he is a center. And other teams will not cooperate by playing small for them. Oh, and Smith was hitting all his freebies.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I just finished watching the Cleveland - Milwaukee game. Again, got to watch two of my teams at the same time. Of course, I was rooting for Milwaukee in this one. Daye for Cleveland did not look bad, but the other guys trying to take the last couple of roster spots did more in this one than he did to make their case.

Cleveland rested most key players. Milwaukee played theirs, including Monroe late to make sure they kept the lead down the stretch, as their coach just wanted a win to make his team feel better about themselves. Monroe is as entertaining to watch as ever, for both his outstanding rebounding, and outstanding post game.

Middleton had a blah game. Parker is still not playing. From what I saw last season, even with Monroe and Middleton on the team, no way they challenge Parker for best player on the team honors. Parker can flat out play. Sure hope he stays healthy.

4. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Dajuan Summers played for the Knicks tonight, looked like you missed the dude by one game.

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just getting around to writing up the Knicks - Boston game. Should have done this right after I watched the game last night, but anyway, here is what I remember at this point.

First of all, Affalo played for the first time. Only for maybe 10 miutes in the first half. At first, it looked like basically NY had broken all the rules. Totally unfair to have that much shooting talent on the floor at the same time. Afflalo nor Anthony could miss a shot to start the game. And Calderon can still shoot the rock just fine.

Next impression, the Knicks have a fine, deep team, one where each player is both offensively and defensively gifted. The exceptions are Calderon and Anthony, who both do offense really well. But hiding just two guys in such a deep roster full of good solid defenders should not be a great problem. In this game, Galloway, O'Quinn, Cleanthony Early, and Derrick Williams stood out as fine two way players.

Robin Lopez is another exception, providing more D than O. Porzingis (sp) did not play.

Boston looked just fine, as long as Afflalo was not on the floor. With Afflalo on the floor, Boston did not seem able to compete, at all, with NY. Afflalo is that good, both ends of the floor. The one guy on Boston who could score on NY, even with Afflalo in the game, was Johnson, who also came off injury, and also just played in the 1st half. PS, I was rooting for NY, but still loved to see just how good Amir is. Our old friend JJ looked mediocre in this one. Yes, I still think he is playing out of position at power forward.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How good do you think the Knicks will be? They surely are not a playoff team?

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am fairly certain they will once again be chasing the #1 pick early next year.

The Panda likes this.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

When Melo claimed the Knicks were going places this season, I did scoff. But now I agree with him after watching a couple of Knicks games. A team first of all must have all slots filled, such as defense, outside shooting, inside game, perimeter D, 2 good players at each position. New York has all that. Right there, that is enough to at least make the playoffs. On outside shooting, they now all the sudden went to elite status by adding Afflalo to a team that already has Melo. On defense, like I said, they have plenty, with guys up and down the roster really getting after it on the defensive end. This includes Afflalo on perimeter defense, one of the very best at it, Lopez and Porzingis at center for sound interior D, and a really strong capable power forward in O' Quinn. And several more players capable on both ends of the floor.

Just how far will the Knicks rise? Its going to depend on how the matchups go in the post season. Way too early to predict that sort of thing. But they are a very capable team, with as good a chance to advance as any in the East at this point.

While at it. Boston. A so so team. Probably, maybe, might make the playoffs again. Decent set of point guards, they have 3 of them. Can't see them possibly getting past a first round match with any other team that might make the playoffs in the East.

Cleveland. They intend to keep the minutes down for their key players this year. Very good idea. If they stay healthy, they will represent the East again. But that is a big if. They do not have a great margin of error.

Milwaukee. To me so far, they seem a team that could put together a decent starting unit. I am pretty sure they will make the playoffs, but getting past another team in the playoffs seems problematic for lack of experience, and lack of good depth.

The Wizards. If they can stay healthy, they could get into the 2nd round, no further. They will make the playoffs as long as Wall and Beal keep healthy. What caps their success this year is their front line. Good, just not good enough.

I am not going to make a prediction for the only West team I follow, the Clips. Only seen them once so far and I do not follow the West close enough to make any judgements this quick. Give me a few more weeks on that.

9. BillLaimbeer

You think the Knicks are a playoff team? Do you know they won 17 games last season?

10. roscoe36

You do know they signed Afflalo right?

The Panda and coynejeremy like this.
  11. BillLaimbeer

If they add Bachynski after we cut him, then maybe they're a playoff team.

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Preseason championship contenders - the team equivalent of a summer league all-star.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

There is virtually no resemblance to what the Knicks put on the floor last year, vs. what they will have out there this year. I simply started following the Knicks this season since Afflalo joined them. I was thinking I would be watching a losing season for sure.

But hey, then I started paying attention to the Knicks, or should I say, the new Knicks, and found them to be way better than I thought.

Lets start with Afflalo, the one guy I knew they got before I started watching them. Pretty darn good shooter, and unlike JR Smith who use to be the 2nd 3 point shooter to compliment Melo, Afflalo is the full package, plays defense too as well as having honed an excellent midrange game.

But that is a tiny fraction of the new Knicks. How about free agent aquisition O'Quinn. This guy is a true power forward, powerful, active, skilled. No holes in this guys game. I'll put it this way, if the Pistons had O'Quinn, I'd laugh at the suggestion of replacing him with a Markief Morris.

Next, they drafted #4, Porzingis. Porzingis has height and reach to no end, and has quite the offensive game, from 3's, pull ups, to post ups. Just 19. Nobody really figured at first he would be ready to play this quickly. But he just is. Melo was like, "what?!" when they drafted the guy, but is saying nothing negative about him after seeing him play. And I doubt you will say one thing negative about him after you get to see him play.

Next, free agent acquisition Robin Lopez. Good solid defensive center.

Next, Calderon, while not my favorite player for sure, can shoot the ball, and run the offense. Last year, he was injured. Looks quite healthy right now, and looking good out there.

Melo was injured last year. Looks fine now.

Cleanthony Early. I watched this guy play last season and thought he was pretty much a joke. But hey, he missed the middle of the season with injury. Early is an exciting prospect, with a whole lot of improvement needed from last season, especially in his confidence. Well, yeah, I see a lot of improvement. Definitely a rotation player, one with a whole lot of potential too.

Langston Galloway. A rookie last year, that due to the Calderon injury, was pressed into duty at point. He looked terrible there a lot. Not that he was not trying, and he did keep improving. But this year, he can probably play some shooting guard, where he belongs, and the extra work on his ball handling will just make him that much better of a player.

Jerian Grant is a good pickup, giving them a backup point a cut above most backup points.

Derrick Williams found himself simply playing for a coach who hates good young players. Karl, as we all know, believes development is for other teams to do, not him. Anyway, just because he is young, he was available for cheap to the Knicks, and they wisely picked him up.

These ten players, all either new to the team or simply available this year vs. injured last year pretty much make the Knicks an entirely new team.

C-Bill likes this.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The Cleveland Toronto game. Toronto won, with Anthony Bennett winning the bench war down the stretch. I followed Toronto last year, and just might follow them again this season, as a 7th team - or maybe dropping Washington - if Bennett plays in the rotation for Toronto. The guy has a lot of upside and I would like to see how his career goes.

Daye did not play. Instead, a new guy Cleveland just picked up after another team dropped him played. I am guessing its because they have already kind of seen what they have in Daye. Nobody really stood out who is competing for a roster spot with Daye, for this game anyway. So he still has a chance. Anyway, Cleveland is kind of bracing for Tristan Thompson not coming back. So may have an extra roster spot to fill.

Toronto is figuring out which power forward between Scola and Patterson should fill the PF spot Amir left. I say play Bennett. They are going to make the playoffs no matter which way they go, they might as well develop Bennett, who has tons more upside vs. the other two players. Worst case, Bennet does not pan out. So what, they got a well rested Paterson and Scola to fall back on.

If I follow Toronto this season, it would be the 7th season I followed them in all. Or ninth, something like that. I followed them back aound 2003 - 2008, and for the past 3 seasons. It would be easy to root for them, which I have to do to keep awake to be able to follow another NBA team besides the Pistons. Without interest in who wins the game, I have a lot of trouble staying awake when watching. Hmm, come to think of it, I just missed one season following Toronto, the 2011 -2012 season. Heck, I might add them this season even if Bennett does not play much, just out of habit.

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Cleveland - Dallas game. 2nd to last game I will be watching on NBA TV this preseason. I'll have League Pass for the regular season.

Very hard game to watch, with long stretches of futility for both teams that seem like they will never end. Oh, I see they finally ended. Shhhh. Missed shot after missed shot, no organization. Daye just got a few minutes at the end of the game. The Cleveland announcer mentioned Daye in a negative light, pointing out that great he hit the 4 threes in his first preseason game, but noted he never followed that with the ability to drive in when he makes the other team come out to check him. He did not sound very much like Daye would make the team.

They say that although James is resting for a sore back, he would be playing if this was the regular season, nothing too serious.

Still no sign Tristan Thompson will return to Cleveland.

roscoe36 likes this.
  16. C-Bill

C-Bill All-Star

Interesting write-up, thx

I don't know a few of those guys. You got me wanting to see O'Quinn, and especially Porzingis. Actually, I might check out their last LP game.

Wherever Afflalo has gone I have watched. Especially in Denver (w/ Billips!) and Orlando. I didn't end up watching much of him last season, though.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The Knicks, Celts game from last Thursday. Just looked at the boxscore. I watched the game yesterday.

I enjoyed watching two of my teams play each other. My loyalties switched back and forth depending on who was on the floor, but overall I was pulling for NY. JJ impressed me quite a bit in this one. Tons of hustle, and some skill too. It is an absolute shame we gave this guy away last year. Oh, well, just one more young player we gave up on, for the usual price, nothing.

Amir came off the bench for Boston. At first glance, I was like, how is that possible? But after watching the game, hey, Tyler Zeller did look pretty darn good out there. T. Zeller posted up well, hustled down the floor well, and has an outside shot to boot. And the other big starting for Boston is David Lee, one of those guys, as someone described here, has the old man's game that means he can be effective for years yet.

No Thomas in this one, minor injury. But Boston has two fine point guards in Bradley and Smart, plus Rozier (plus 15 in this game) for depth. They seemed to miss Thomas not one bit really.

PS, I also watched the Boston team review on NBATV yesterday morning, and JJ was not listed on the depth chart. 14 other guys were, but not JJ. So I was glad to see that not only was JJ still on the team, he was still playing a strong role with the team. Note, Amir and JJ for much of the game were paired up together, and that is indeed a lot of hustle on the floor at the same time.

It was the Boston announcers, so I did not learn anything about how bad the tightening in Afflalo's hamstring was. Hope he is ok. He just wowed me, as usual, on his ability to make shots. I am talking about those serious step back midrangers of his. They just don't miss.

But despite NY having their starting unit intact, a lot, in this game, they could not gain much of an advantage on the Celts. Main reason, the matchup between Jae Crowder and Carmelo. Crowder has a very fitting name, as indeed, he managed to crowd Melo continually. Crowder knocked down a couple of 3's himself, ending up with, lets see, 13 points, to just 8 for Melo. And that is hardly the story there. The real story, Melo missed 14 shots, basically shooting his team out of the game. Crowder, he missed just 2 shots, as efficient as you can get. PS, to me, this is a good example of why Carlisle is not the greatest coach. Sure, Carlisle knows his x's and o's, probably better or as good as anyone, but letting young talent like Crowder leave counters a lot of that.

O'Quinn. For sure, you watch the game, and wonder what value O'Quinn provides? But, in a loss, O'Quinn was plus 4. Yeah, he pulled down 11 rebounds, and blocked 2 shots. Off the bench. Why off the bench? That was not the plan, but the number 4 pick Porzingis, is that good. Porzingis has won the starting job for NY at power forward. This rookie is way surpassing everyone's predictions about how good he can be, and how fast he can get that good. Now, not to exaggerate too much, but think of Porzingis as a much taller version of Nowitzki, but one who rebounds readily, posts up well, blocks shots well, drives in well. And way, way, way taller than Nowitzki. This guy releases the ball so high, most centers in the league would need three step step stool to bother his shot.

Finally, a shout out about Sully. Plus 15 in this game. Plays a bit too loose perhaps at this point, so has a lot of potential to improve yet.

Most of the game, Robin Lopez did not look like much. Late, he hit an outside shot, got a slam back. I can not say his team would have won if his minutes had been given to other guys, since like I said, Melo basically shot his team out of the game. But I'd say Lopez should not be too complacent about having a starters role.

One last though. Afflalo and Calderon did their part in forming an excellent 3 headed monster on shooting. If Melo is shooting hot too, thats a lot to stop. In the couple of Knicks games I have watched so far, I have only seen one prolonged stretch where all 3 were connecting - if there is a lot of that, this team can go far indeed.

C-Bill and roscoe36 like this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just finished watching the Cavs / Chi game.

I paced, high stepped, a litte shuffling, all the time I was watching. Except for a few moments to play tug of war with my dog. "Rope" is one of her favorite words. I say that, she fetches the rope.

As I follow a lot of teams, and do this pacing while watching, well, you see why I follow all these teams. Its mostly for the exercise although I do dearly love to watch NBA games.

The team I root for, the Cavs, lost, in a very close game that came down to a knockaway to run the clock out at the end.

James was fighting a bad back, did his best really in the 4th. Love looked very rusty. Until the 4th. His pair of 3's got the game close late. Thompson did not play in the preseason due to the contract issue, pulled in double digit rebounds but otherwise looked rusty as you would expect. Irving is still out for a couple of weeks. Longer perhaps for Shumpert. Actually, at first, I thought how the heck was Cleveland even going to compete in this game when it started. But when Mophead came in toward the end of the 2nd quarter, it just seemed to settle the Cleveland team back down.

Chicago has a new starting unit. Rose, Snell for defense, Butler, Mirotic for outside shooting, Gasol. A pretty balanced unit. Gasol did zilch in this game really until a key block on James in the last minute. Another guy coming off of injury for Chicago is Doug McDermott. The guy looked pretty good, both on ball handling for a big, and hitting outside shots. One thing you got to know about Chicago, Moore is a major upgrade over Hinrich at backup point.

19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee, I moved these into their very own thread. Enjoy. Everyone else please post lots, too.

20. roscoe36