Other NBA Games 2013-14

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Dre, Oct 30, 2013.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Records:
    Darrick Martin: 15 points with 0 made field goals (Rip with 14)
    Kevin Martin: 20 points with 1 made field goal
    James Harden: 27 points with 2 made field goals?
    Chris Paul/ Dirk Nowitzki: 27 points with 3 made field goals
    Billups/ Sleepy Floyd: 30 points with 4 made fields goals (also Chauncey with 29 in another game with 4 FG)

Other oddities:
    Hakeem Olajowon scored 48 points without a FT attempt in 1997.
    Joe Dumars is the only player to ever score 40 without a two point FG, when he drilled 10 3's and 10 FT's.

Most points without a rebound: Kobe Bryant- 61
    Most points without an assist: Kobe Bryant- 62
    Most points without a steal: David Robinson- 71
    Most points without a block: Kobe Bryant- 65

Nate McMillon had 4 10+ assist games with 0 shot attempts.

And this is my favorite:
    Most points without ANYTHING (0FTA, 0 reb, 0 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk, 0 tov, 0 pf): Michael Redd- 29
    Houston Rockets at Milwaukee Bucks Box Score, February 20, 2002 | Basketball-Reference.com
    What a thing of beauty that was... and off the bench.

And out of curiosity, I've tried to find the worst box score ever produced by an NBA player. Here is my candidate:
    Delaney Rudd: 11/2/1990
    9 min/ 0-4 FG/ 0 reb/ 0 ast/ 0 stl/ 0 blk/ 6 tov/ 5 pf

Delaney was also part of the game with the most fouls in NBA history (84 fouls called).
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    webz, pass99, The Panda and 1 other person like this.
  4. LA Dre

In the infamous 186-184 3 OT game between the Pistons in the Nuggets in 1983, each team only hit one three pointer. One by Zeke and one by Nuggets Richard Anderson...
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hard to believe. That's some fast pace.
  6. LA Dre

Some good games on league pass tonight, but kind of a black Thursday in the NBA tonight as three of the top five teams in the NBA all lose at home.

The floundering two NY teams both head out west and get impressive upset wins as the Knicks beat the Spurs in San Antonio 105-101 and the Nets beat the Thunder in OKC 95-93.

The Warriors may have finally got all of their talent harnessed and have won 7 straight beating the Heat in Miami as the Golden State big 3 of Curry, Lee and Thompson outscored the Heat big three 84-67 and won the game 123-114.

The Suns celebrating their coach Jeff Hornacek winning western conference coach of month honors for December after going 10-3, fell flat they also lose at home to the Mark Gasol-ess Grizzlies. 99-91.

Looks like the only top team playing at home that will possibly win tonight are the Portland Trailblazers who currently hold a 70-49 halftime lead over the Bobcats... However....there still a whole half to go.
  7. LA Dre

Expect a change at the top of the Western Conference Pacific standings. CP3 went down with separated shoulder midway through the 3rd quarter when the game was tied, but the Clippers who trailed the Mavs by 7 with less than 4 minutes to go, close the game on a 16-2 run to win on the road in Dallas without their leader. DJ and Blake scored 25 points a piece and Darren Collison came off the bench to score 20. CP3 had scored 19 before going down and was visibly upset the same way Magic was when he suffered the hammy back in the 1989 finals for those old enough to remember it.

Andre Iiggy, hit a buzzer beater three against the Hawks in the ATL to lead the Warriors to their 8th straight win and they are only half game behind the Clippers now in the Pacific standings.

Preliminary notes are that CP3 will be out 3-5 weeks with the shoulder injury shoulder, so expect the Warriors to take over the top of the pacific standings for awhile. ...at least until either Paul or Reddick comes back sooner than expected. For me that means no attending Clip games until after the all star break.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Clips should trade for Andre Miller.....
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Had a couple of weeks off. First week, mostly wasted on surviving a week long power outage. This second week though, been enjoying the heck out of catching up on basketball. Following seven teams, including the Pistons, takes a lot of time. Time that I love spending. Actually, mostly, I am getting way ahead on Spring cleaning, using the basketball games as breaks from the work. The house is looking great.

Anyway, some comments from a game between the Celts and the Wiz about 10 days ago. The main thing I notice, neither team brings any slouches off the bench. If you get to play, you really bring something. The action in this game was pretty fierce, with both team playing well enough to win, and both teams always having very good players on the floor. Why did Washington prevail? While both team could hit shots, the Wiz were hitting more 3 balls. Ariza in particular was knocking down triples like layups. I have always liked Ariza as a player, but I watch the Wiz because of Wall. But Beal looks every bit of good as Wall now that he has been back from injury for a while. The Wiz have a very good group of bigs, with Gortat starting with Trevor Thompson, and pretty darn good inside players - Saraphin (sp), and Nene coming off the bench. The first sub at guard is Webster, and many games he seems the very best player on the squad. Very enjyable game to watch, and the team I root for, Washington, won.
  10. LA Dre

With NBA LP, I try to watch a piece of all of the games on the nights the Pistons aren't playing. As far as teams I tend to follow ..... Well you know me....It's Pistons first and foremost.....Clippers second...and the Warriors a distant 3rd..and the Blazers on late nights when all other games are over and the wife is sleep...
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  11. LA Dre

They had Miller back in old days when they were bad.......Guards in LA are a scarce commodity these days.....Clippers are now missing their 2 starting guards in CP3 and JJ Reddick, and the Lakers are down Kobe, Nash, Steve Blake and Farmar. And you thought the Pistons had issues when Stuckey, Bynum and Billups were all out at one time.
  12. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In 2012 I remember an Anthony Morrow box score that was truly invisible where he played 11 minutes and failed to record a single stat other than 2 missed FG's. However, that didn't prove to be too rare as Deshawn Stevenson did the same thing 4 times in the same season.

Joel Anthony played 29 minutes in a 2011 game with only 1 TO and 4 PF's to his name. All other stats were zeros.

I was looking through some Derek Fisher box scores last year after one of my friends tried to defend his game. The most pathetic was this classic Fisher gem.
    34 minutes, 0-5 FG, 0 pts. The only stats to his name were 2 steals and 2 PF's. This remains the only game where someone has played over 30 minutes and failed to register a point, rebound or assist.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ha! But we know he provided great intangibles
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just watched the Toronto win over Washington. I follow both teams very closely, but I was rooting for Toronto. If you asked me before the game, who was going to win, I would have guessed Washington.

The game was close in the first half, but Toronto took a 3 point lead to end the first half up to a 26 point lead by not just raining 3 pointers down on the Wiz, but storming them. Five players for Toronto nailed 3's in that run. DeRozan, Lowry, and Ross - a few from Ross. But Patterson and Amir Johnson also each hit a 3, and indeed, for the game, both hit lots of outside shots. Patterson in particular seemed to be shooting out of his mind in this game.

Of note, for quite a stretch in the 2nd half, Toronto used a big unit of Amir at small forward, Patterson at power forward, with Valanciunis at center. Patterson has of late been subbing directly for Amir, but you can see that their coach is going to want to find more minutes for Patterson. (also, Hansbrough was injured for this game, leaving more minutes to fill up front.)

Toronto went over 500 with the win.

A bit ironic that Rudy Gay left but Toronto had its best outside shooting game of the year. Seems everyone getting shots now really helps.

Ariza got ejected, but the game was out of hand at that point already. The Wiz made a run late to make the score look more respectful, but it was too little, and way late to do them any good. Toronto had pretty much went into cruise mode for just about the whole 4th.
  15. LA Dre

Toronto has played well since trading Gay, who massaged the ball too long prior to rushing a shot or a rare pass. They have gone gone 10-7 since the trade and won 8 of their last 10 to take a 4 game lead in the terrible Atlantic division. They are the only team in the east other than the Pacers and Heat to have winning record on the road. In December they had the coach of the month and now if they can sustain their play with the play of the weak east they can secure one of the home seeds with a division win...which means the Pistons have to play well enough to stay close to Atlanta and play better than the Bulls, Wizards and Bobcats.
  16. LA Dre

Speaking of competitive teams, the Raptors went into Miami and took the Heat all the way down to the wire, but a point blank 5 ft hook miss by Amir Johnson to give Toronto a one point lead with 24 seconds left in the game bounced off the back of the rim, and then Wade and Lebron hit six straight free throws in the last 24 seconds to secure a victory. Amir was 17-8 and 3 blocks...

The Cavs also took the Pacers down to wire and allowed that one to get away in the end after putting together a 16-1 run to get it down to 1 point with just under a minute left. Unfortunately that's when the energy ran out and the Pacers won by 4. Kyrie Irving did not play in this game........

Also Warriors win their 9th straight to take over the lead in the Pacific by blasting the Wizards in DC..112-96. The teams were tied at the half, but the Warriors came out smoking in the 3rd out pointing the Wiz 34-15 to break the game open and cruise home.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nice win by T. Burke and the Jazz over the Thunder.

Burke with 10/6/6/2/0

Hayward had 37 points on 16 FGA! with 11 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, and a blocked shot. Not too shabby.

Durant attempted 43 shots in 45 minutes if you count the ones that he was fouled on. Obviously put up some gaudy stats, but with nowhere the efficiency of Hayward.
  18. LA Dre

In last nights Kings-Blazers game, (won by the Kings 123-119), the two teams combined for 89 points in the 4th quarter (43 and 46 respectively).

Damien Lillard scored 26 of his 41 points in the 4th, but came up short in getting his team the Win. Cousins and Gay scored 35 and 32 pts.
  19. LA Dre

The Lakers are still trying to match the futility of the Pistons. They took a five point lead into half time over the Rockets in Houston. Unfortunately they have the same issues as the Pistons do in the second half here lately and were blitz in the third 33-15....sounds familiar huh?

They never recovered and down 14 in the 4th with a little more than 4 mins left took to the Hack-a-Howard method of play....but it didn't work as they still lost 113-99.

Both Lakers and Pistons are both 14-22. The Lakers have injuries....what's our excuse?

By the way this Lakers at Rockets game was slated to be the ESPN game tonight, but was swapped out two weeks ago in favor of the Twolves-Suns game.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  20. LA Dre

Not sure how late you east coast guys stay up, but another barn burner on ESPN as the Twolves who led for most of the 4th quarter lost for the 10th time this year in a game decided by 4 points or less.

The Suns Gerald Green hit a wicked jumper from the corner with 3 seconds left on the clock to nip the Twolves who for some reason or another can't close out a crunch time close game. (They lead the league in games won by 20 points or more with seven).