Our bench needs a little work

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Hotsauce, May 18, 2006.

1. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

Think about it. McDyess is the ONLY decent player on the bench. Lindsey provides no offensive spark (and thats what we're lacking now) Mo Evans is OK on defense but doesnt score either. We just need someone to come off the bench for RIP or someone and not have as much of a drop-off as RIP to Mo or Chauncey to Hunter.
    The Mavs have a very good bench. Stackhouse and Daniels and Harris off the bench is deeep. Not to mention that Diop starts for them and Dampier comes off the bench sometimes.

The bench needs a makeover.
  2. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I can name ten teams right now that Dale Davis would be starting on (and five that Delfino would be). I don't buy the "horrible bench" argument. The Pistons aren't as deep as Dallas, but neither are they as thin as New Jersey.

And Mo Evans is a power forward. He's there for the little things - setting hard picks, rebounding, help defense, shotblocking. He doesn't need to score; his energy inspires and he intangibly carries the load. He's Rodman with a better rack upstairs.

The lack of a point guard is disturbingly clear, but like it or not we're stuck with Bill Davidson, and he isn't going to start spending like Cuban any time soon.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nobody has faith in Buckets no more?
  4. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Hard to have faith in someone that never plays. Anyways, the Mavs are an anomaly, most teams have pretty poor benches. There is a reason they are bench players. The grass is always greener on the other side. Hell, look at the Spurs, Finley, Van Exel, Horry, Nazr, Brent Barry, sounds like a pretty good bench, right? They have completely sucked in the mavs series.

I wouldn't say our bench is BAD, they are just inconsistent. You need consistency from your bench, and you won't get any when they rarely play. Delf has potential. Delk is a keeper, Dice is solid, Mo is iffy. Cato and Davis are filler/insurance. Not actually expected to do anything.

Dump our "shaq insurance", its obviously not needed anymore, get a young C to develop (darko was just too expensive right now), promote the rooks or release them, dump mo, LH retires.

5+delk+delf+dice+amir+maxiell+sign a PG+sign a C.

That's it. That's 12. Keep another PG on the IL for insurance, and whatever else tickles your fancy.
  5. max

max All-Star

I suspect that Davison will spend up to the Lux tax limit. Just my personal impression of the guy. He strikes me as one of those old timer billionares who view paying 2 to 1 in penalties as too much of a waste of money.

That still leaves us with enough room. I think the limit is around 20 mil over the cap. Somewhere in the 60 mil range.