Our Orlando pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Aug 29, 2006.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

It's not being nice Max, it's called sandbagging.
  2. max

max All-Star

Shhh..

Please wait until after the trade deadline before unveiling team secrets like that.
  3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

so basically he's better than our bigs.

he rebounds similar to sheed. he creates rebounds for his team with all the shot block intimidation. it's hard to get rebound numbers when you are paired with a great rebounder. look at how everyone on the pistons numbers increased when ben left.

he is however clutch at the free throw line. when the game was on the line darko has done well at the line. i bet flip saunders would have gave his left nut to have a 50% shooting big man in last years playoffs.

at least he isn't a malcontent.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He was. And he might be again. His contract negotiations are going to be very interesting. And so will his performance once he has a long term deal.
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Rebounding?

Wrong.

Actually he doesn't rebound similar to Sheed. Sheed has the numbers to support his rebounding, Darko has your faith. Oh, the shared rebound lame arguement. Amare Stoudamire and Shawn Marion don't appear to have problems. Memo and Boozer, no problems. Haslem and O'neal, no problems. J'Oneal and J. Foster/Harrison, no problems. Murphy and Biedrins, no problems. Dirk and Dampier, no problems. The list goes on and on and on and on....

Free throw problems?

Wrong.

Last I checked none of our bigs who play have a free throw shooting problem this year. Ben is no longer a member of the Pistons so I hope you weren't referring to him. Maxiel has problems from the strike, but he doesn't play. Shaq shoots pretty good when he needs to make free throws too, so I guess under your criteria Shaq is a good free throw shooter.

Malcontent?

See Roscoe's post.

Wow, can't believe that you are now claiming that Darko is better than Sheed. Will the madness ever stop?
  6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I hear he is negotiatiing with Larry Brown to become his agent!! LOL

:gun1:
  7. bball jay

sheeds rebound numbers weren't as high as they are now when he played next to ben. darko plays 20 min. if he played more his rebounds would be more. he is a shotblocker so he is often out of position for rebounds.

i said last year in my post. that was the year hack a ben was so effective cause ben couldn't hit one out of 2 free throws for 7 straight games.

we fixed the free throw problem with nazr. you haven't checked dale davis stats he is a bad free throw shooter.

actually orlando said they will let the market decide darko's value. they will match whatever teams throw at him. otis has the ok from the owners to go into luxury tax to keep the core together. i see the negotiations going smoothly. i see a team offering 60 and orlando matching it.

well sheed may be better than darko right now i'll give you that one. honestly i wasn't even considering sheed when i wrote that. i was thinking more towards nazr and dale davis. darko did lock sheed up head to head though.
  8. MotownPride

You don't know that he will...you think he will. As a point of reference, I've seen great rebounders a mass double digit rebounds in a 20 min span easily. So far, Darko has shown that he is an average rebounder at best. The shotblocking thing....tell that to Duncan, Okafur and Ben Wallace.

Dale Davis doesn't play much and like I said he is not a better free throw shooter than our guys that play big minutes.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Wow a concession. I knew I'd wear you down after the 500th post. :pound: Your lock up references associated with Darko are beginning to get nauseating. Maybe all these players can ask Chris Kaman what he was doing when he faced Darko. :nerd2:
  9. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

true that.

reggie evans - 18.8 mpg - 8.7 rpg
    david lee - 24.8 mpg - 9.2 rbg
    jeff foster - 20.6 mpg - 7.1 rpg
    -------------------------------------
    darko milicic - 21.0 mpg - 5.4 rpg

even 48 minute stats don't help the darko argument - 56th overall in rebounding per 48 (qualified players).

harder maybe, but still quite possible if you are good enough, as the following proves.

the following players beat out darko and all average within 3 mpg of darko (who averages 21.0 mpg), so as not to misrepresent the data. their strong rebounding teammates are in brackets.

reggie evans (camby)
    sean may (okafor)
    nick collison (wilcox)
    kendrick perkins (pierce 9per)
    al jefferson (pierce)
    chuck hayes (yao)
    fabricio oberto (duncan)
    desagana diop (nowitzki, dampier)
    antonio mcdyess (nazr, sheed)
    kurt thomas (stoudemire, marion)
    nazr mohammed (sheed)
    craig smith (garnett)
    andrew bynum (odom)
    shelden williams (pachulia)
    lawrence roberts
    etan thomas (jamison)
    jeff foster (j. o'neal)

yes, ALL of these players are better per 48 boarders than darko, so don't use the 'he don't get enough minutes' excuse. and note that most of these guys have 1, even 2 big boarders to contend with. darko's case of having a strong rebounding teammate is not isolated. but the players above have all proven its possible to be a very good rebounder. i'm not saying all these players are better than darko, but when it comes to rebounding...

STATS DON'T LIE!!
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

:bs: I have endured much of your confounded Darko logic for a long time...you just stepped over my boundary of tolerance. The only shotblockers I know that are out of position for rebounds are those trying to defend 3's. Am I mistaken? I thought Darko was the NBA's premier paint defender?

Nevermind...silly me...I forgot that Darko can fly :flypig:
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Darko is 50th in the league in rebounds per time unit. There are 30 teams in the league. That means that he would be on average the 2nd best rebounder on any given team. He happens to be on the team with the league leader in rebounds. That doesn't sounds to me like he is an average rebounder. Seems like the stats say that he is an above average rebounder.

Also, when you look at his ranking on the team in the following categories, you can see that he is a valuable part of one of the biggest surprises in the East...
    production- 4th
    plus/minus- 5th
    roland rating- 4th

Battie ranks 12th, 12th, and 12th in those same categories.

Stats can definately lie, but these are looking good for the Serb.
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

darko great. Darko not so great. It's looking like that draft pick is getting weaker as the season wears on. I mean we're looking for some sort of break down since the magic are near the top of the east.
  13. MotownPride

I like you Tashawn but the per 48/40 minute stat thing has never done anything for me. Bottom line is results. 5.4 boards a game is mediocre no matter how you slice it. Until I see Darko show these impressive numbers that could result from additional playing time it is all here say.
  14. MotownPride

Bottom line is the pick ain't lookin' too good and the Darko miscue (below value trade) looks worse every day. I think we are all in agreement on that one!
  15. V!et

V!et First Round Draft Pick

How about Kevin Durrant for our Orlando pick eh? :eyebrows:
  16. bball jay

well darko does defend 3's. he's one of the best big men at flying out and contesting 3's. what i mean by out of position is he causes the miss and somebody else gets the rebound. darko is a premier defender in the paint or on the outside.

darko can't do it all but i'll admit he isn't a dominant rebounder yet. he is like a 7 foot ak47. you might point out his rebounding fault. but not too many big men come off the bench and do it all like he does. he rebounds, block shots, gets steals, scores, throws dimes and defends.
  17. MotownPride

but only blocks shots particularly well...
  18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't buy it.

If Orlando plans on matching any offer, why would they let it get that far? The only thing that will do is drive up the price of a guy that they have no intention of letting get away.

If they are so set on keeping him, sign him now, when you're the only team that can offer him a deal.

If that really is true, that Orlando will match anything, if I'm a team in the South East Division I'm offering Darko a max deal at 12:00:01 when FA starts. I'm going to make it as expensive as possible for my rival to do business.

I just don't buy it.

Orlando is still on the fence about Darko, IMO. They bought a project cheap and are still waiting to see what they have. They're talking the talk, but they're going to wait until Darko walks the walk before signing him long term.
  19. MotownPride

I think its funny how bballjay chooses to ignore the points he is routinely smashed with as it pertains to Darko. Its also funny how Darko is the only future all-star in the making that does not have the statistical evidence to prove his value. Perhaps we are seeing the dawn of a new all-star. The first all-star to emerge with no stats. That would truely make Darko legendary. ;)
  20. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Darko "Mr. 4th Quarter" just came in and played most of the 4th tonight and the Magic got a big win IN UTAH where Utah was the ONLY TEAM YET TO LOSE AT HOME.

Darko played until his 5th foul, came out (Magic were up by 18) and the Jazz promptly went on a 8-0 run and Coach Hill had to put Darko back in. Darko dove on the floor to get a loose ball with about 1:37 left in the game, then he flew at Memo (forcing Memo to get an UP AND DOWN travelling violation) and Memo got so mad that he punched the ball out of bounds and got ejected. Darko came in and HELPED SHUT DOWN THE JAZZ after they had closed the gap to 10 pts.

Darko's IMPACT on the Magic is HUGE, whether or not you want to admit it is up to you, but the results are UNDENIABLE.