Out of the mix....

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 20, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

DETNEWS | Weblog | Pistons

And that is it for Maxiell. No reasoning, no more info. He's back to the bench, and in my opinion, that is the death-knell for Amir Johnson getting any burn this year as well.
    Delfino, Delfino, Delfino. Why does Joe draft foreign players if they don't have Pistons DNA? Don't get me wrong, Memo, Nowitzki and Gasol are all similar finesse players, particularly when they first arrived.

The international talents with Pistons-esque DNA are guys like Nocioni and Ginobili.

Speaking of which...

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

He sure ain't pulling punches or following the company line here...
    I got a feeling this will be a long thread.
    I wonder where he got the info on Jmax & Delfino being delegated to the bench... not playing them would be too soon IMO... especially with what we saw fron Brahma in the preseason.
    Let's not overreact until we see if this happens.
  3. max

max All-Star

I tend to think that was his own opinions and not official team news. He could be right. Probably is with Delfino. Delfino would have played last season if Flip liked him.
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this is why i thought joe shoulda pushed for rose...told him 'listen, we'll do a dog & pony show for delfino and give him minutes for a week or two, but he's gonna be traded and you'll get the majority of minutes at backup.'

it'll be interesting to see the minutes distribution this week.
  5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i think we all agree that jmax has pistons dna. yet he's out of the rotation. why isn't everyone coming to the conclusion that he must not have pistons dna if he isn't playing. i think for the pistons being able to get on the court has much more to do with having pistons dna.

delfino gets in and rebounds with the bigs. he blocks shots and he locks up nba stars. delfino plays unselfishly on offense and handles the ball well and plays his role even though it doesn't fit his style of play. i would say delfino has pistons dna. just because he doesn't accept that bs company line and he tells people what is on his mind doesn't mean he doesn't have it.

i think the question should be why does joe draft international players and bring in coaches that have no idea how to use or develop them.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

May I interupt this thread for a completely non relavant brain blurp (Det News style)...
    If we don't get a shot blocker we are seriously degrading our transition game...
    Ok, back to we know the players better than than the coaching staff.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

:focus: The lack of PT could also be a message to these guys...
    Carlos... wanna play?... how bout quit taking the lazy way out.
    Brahma... how many times did we say you need to pass out of a double team?
    Primative but effective.
    It's not a fact because of a random thought McCoskey had in his blog (our good ol Chris buddy... Roscoe)
  8. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Let's hope that's what it is. Out of the rotation until you can prove you should be in. That said, we've seen this before, and it looks like the same disappointment...
  9. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Shame.... The few minutes per game that Max is on the floor are the best minutes of the game IMO. Then again, we wouldn't want to actually play a young player who likes to score in the paint. I guess as long as we've got Dice in there throwin' up 18 footers at a 15% clip we're good. Flip's got him in for his stifling D aparantely

Tough to say with Delfino... I still don't think he is being put in a situation to succeed. Inconsistant minutes AGAIN and he still never gets the ball in his hands to make a play. The one thing that he seems to have a knack for offensively. Every offensive set has him camped in one of the corners watching the clock tick down to see if he'll get a pass for a trey. It's a shame his rebounding, defending, and open-court abilities will go to waste (to another team likely). We'll get burned in that deal again as well I assume.

ps. Yea, this organization frustrates the hell out of me some times.
  10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

doubt that he is using lack of pt as motivation. it's more of the piston bs that a young player doesn't get minutes. what is dice doing to deserve minutes?? lindsey makes 1 good play in 5. flip murray sucks in general. lets not get on the starters lack of energy. if anybody should be called lazy it's the starters.

what has delfino done that is lazy??
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm really beginning to lose my patience. I agree w/ wo said we've looked better w/ Maxiell on the floor than at any other times.

Trade Delfino to the Spurs. If we're going to act like idiots we might as well finish the job. I'm sure he'll love playing w/ his Arg. teammates, and a REAL coach like Pop.
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I slowly start to become a Flip (both Murray and Saudners)- Hater. I defended Flip Sr. all year last season, but his recent moves are simply dumb. Playing Tay at the 4 is ok, it's kind of experimental, but overplaying him is simply stupid. Same for CB, who is getting a huge amount of playing time as if last year's playoffs would have never happened. Delfino did ok for most of the games he played in and is out of the rotation. Same for JMax, who often was the only one to provide a spark from the bench.
    At the same time, Flip relies on Methusalem Hunter and Flip Murray, a player every team is happy to see him on the opposing squad. Yeah, he penetrates, but that's it. He had some games in which he did ok and some off nights- just like Fino. But why, for heaven's sake, is Murray set as primary backup and Delfino out of the rotation???
  14. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Freep.com:
    could anyone tell me in which way Murray, who is getting Delfino's minutes, plays in that grind- out, hardworking manner, Billups is talking about?
    I guess Delfino simply can't stand all this lies any longer. He has seen how Milicic profited from leaving Detroit and probably wants do to the same.
    Something has to change, I hate seeing guys deliver somewhere else that don't get no PT over here.
  15. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I don't see how Billups is such a grinder anymore anyways.
  16. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Flip is playing a bench alright. But what's the value in playing guys that can't be built around. Davis, Dice, Hunter, and Murray are for different reasons soon to be gone. Of them only Dice seems capable of an ocassional impact performance. By impact I mean a performance that makes the coach keep the starter on the bench much longer than planned. The kind of performance applauded by fans as the player heads back to the bench dog tired.
    We need to find out if Blaylock, Johnson, or Maxiel have that ability individually or as a unit. We lack an X factor.

I would think we (Pistons Management) should be particularly interested in Amir. His talent, size, mobility, age and pricetag brings to mind a possible Ben Wallace type of "Bang for the Buck" over the next 4 years.
    Not to point fingers but our free agent pickups have gotten progressively weaker.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree LP. We need to find out what we have. I'm wary of playing Johnson too much, simply because he is so talented, someone might chase him in free agency. While he is restricted, the only way we can match a very good offer would be to forfeit our Mid Level Exception. That means more bargain shopping next offseason.

We're probably going to shed one of Dupree/Flip Murray, and Dale Davis. The $4 million saved on Davis will be eaten up in raises to Tay, Rip, Nazr and Sheed.

And of course Mr. Big Shot will also get a substantial raise, meaning that next season may be the year this bench becomes Lindsey, Dice and a bunch of young fellas (couple incoming draft picks).