Pacers & Heat - Did either of these teams look like they could dethrone the Pistons?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Nov 4, 2005.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I watched this game rather intensively last evening. If their play is indicative of how they will be playing the entire season, I may have to put both of these teams behind Cleveland.

Both teams defense was very suspect.

Ron Artest will definitely implode before the season ends.

Like I have said, over, and over, and over again, Shaq is in the twilight of his career. Shaq's best game is hovering in the paint getting jams. To consistently put 300lbs of constant friction on a set of knees and a pair of legs, something eventually will give.

What happens when Walker's J's stop dropping, Jason Wiliams game is simply ugly.

Whoever said that Indiana have a deeper bench needs to put down the Yak. Jaschieveaushesakrnius can bury the deep ball, but where is his defense? Samaki Walker as a backup, I don't think so. He sat on the Wizards bench all of last year, he was so bad, they didn't even let him play in garbage time.

Danny Granger looks decent, but unproven.

2. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I think the Heat's best chance to win was last year. Shaq's only getting older, and without him they're an exciting team but they can't possibly come out of the East. As if that isn't enough, Pat Riley -- for some reason :ohwell: -- went out and got guys like Antoine, and Jason Williams, and GP, and while I don't have anything against those guys, it obviously changes the makeup of the team rather dramatically. Whether or not they can overcome that and gel in time for the playoffs is something that needs to be determined, but my guess is they won't. I also think that they're going to miss the shooting of the Jones boys in the backcourt more than they realize.

I think the Pacers are the team we need to fear. I know they're unstable and injury-prone, but Carlisle always has them playing well through adversity, and when they're together and on their game, they're awesome. Artest especially -- yeah, I know he's a headcase and might do something crazy -- is a terrible matchup for anyone on either end of the court. He combines good speed with great strength and a streak of insanity.

I have to believe the Pistons are going to win not only the East, but the championship as well. Having said that, if they do get dethroned as East champs, I can only imagine the Pacers in their place.

3. armygirl

I know this seems like a farfetched idea, but I would love to see JMax guard Artest.

4. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

the Pacers are deep. they scare me the most.

Miami hasn't shown anything to me yet. Once SVG realizes they are the best when DWade shoots 20 shots a game, then i'll be concerned.

5. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

That would be interesting, although I don't think it would be much of a contest at this point.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Indiana has a chance because they can potentially frustrate the Pistons with defense, cheap shots, and grabbing. The Heat would have to hope for Shaq to be better conditioned when the playoffs come. In reality, he will probably just be worn down.

Even though I like Artest's game, I admit that he looks like he has to try his hardest to not go crazy on a second by second basis. There are too many tough situations to get through in an NBA season to contain that kind of inner rage.

7. armygirl

I know it is very early in the season, however, I am not overly impressed by either team. Watched the last qtr of Miami game and caught some of the Pacers game. To see Mourning receive that facial from Bobby Simmons was worth paying for league pass.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

mourning

Armygirl, I'm with you on this one. Mourning is one of my least favorite players in the league. He makes the Heat just that more hate-able.