Pacers retooling

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, May 6, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Be interesting to see what they can fanagle.

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I thought the pickup of Jackson would be a bad move... he's the anti-Carlisle.
    I don't know why so many think J.O. will be traded... who are they gonna get in return that's better?... he's not demanding changes or anything else.... I do think his spirit is broken... all of the bragging and tough words has been nothing but a verbal boomerang making him look foolish.
    J.O. has been used out of position and it's paying a toll on his body... he could be the most dominant PF in the East.
    When he said we need a center it was a slap at Foster & the other 5's.

Always thought Antony Johnson was underrated (especially on defense)... he's really hard to dribble around with his wingspan.

One more year of playoff failure will result in the team being blown up... I think for now they can legitimately use the injuries/chaos as a reason for their shortcomings.

4. max

max All-Star

Just a novice opinion Bird seems to have been using the band-aid approach. Lose a player and try to replace his production with someone else so he can keep the same forumula. Thats what Jackson was about - a replacement for Miller. Celts did that back in the early 90's trying to replace players with cheap substitutes and it only diluted the team. Celts model is not the one to follow.

They can't replace Miller and Artest so they should look for a different approach. Pacers could still have a good future. They have a lot of tradeable players and can build around O'Neal.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My totally unsubstantiated feeling is that both Bird and Walsh have wanted to get rid of RonRon and Jackson since the brawl, but wanted to keep JO and couldn't find a justification for dumping two of three.

RonRon made it easy for them and dumping Jackson now after a year or two is easier.

To tie into another thread - JO is one of my guilty pleasures. Yeah, he talks a lot, but he always seems to be talking as a leader of the team, about the team. I think he's just trying to keep his team up when they have had so much to get down about. I don't see him (or don't remember) talking about himself - no Mr Game V crap from JO.