Pats caught cheating, face "severe sanctions"

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by jammertime, Sep 11, 2007.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The New England Patriots have been caught video taping the signal calls of the Jets D in their game this weekend. This is considered a "competitive violation" and can bring various penalties including the possibility of losing "several draft picks".

ESPN - Sources: Goodell determines Patriots broke rules - NFL

This isn't the first time the Patriots have been accused of cheating.

Do you consider this cheating or just good preparation and strategy? Would losing "several draft picks" be a suitable punishment?

Does this change the way you look at the Patriots organization? Does this diminish their three Super Bowls wins?

What are your thoughts?
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

What ARE the rules? I figure all play calls on the field/court, audio or visual, in any sport are open to 'the public' during an event. Personally, I draw the line at electronic eaves-dropping. If the Pats had the aid of microphones or tuning in to radio frequencies between the Jets sideline and the upstairs booth...that ain't right in my book.

Mr. Subliminal: Sort of ironic timing for this story in pro sports considering the public's almost forgotten Donaghy issue.
  3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

they broke the letter of the law..... saying that every other team breaks the spirit of the law, and probably there are many others that are doing the same thing just arn't getting caught.

The Tuna said it already, if your smart your signals won't be figured out till the game is over and you change them up each game, sure they broke the law but give me a break its not a huge deal unless there going to go out get serious about every teams attempt to steal signals. why do college teams have there back up qb's giving fake calls, why do you see people trying to hide there calls.....
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Let's see what the penalty is. That'll determine the seriousness of the infraction. They've been competitive for a long time. Hard for me to knock them when our home team is the Lions..................:yellowprison:<<Brady
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It is probably not right using electronics to pick up other team's calls. But, what do the rules say about it? And in any case several draft picks would be way too much a punishment.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This thing irritates me that the Patriots are cheating. I hope the entire league hates them now (ala Yankees). Just because you hate them, though, doesn't mean you're good enough to beat them...
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Any penalty to the innocent players would be wrong. [Forfeit the game etc.]
    Slam Bill B.
    $.5M should get his attention.
  8. jammertime

While I agree that the players on the Pats are more than likely innocent of wrong doing in this, the problem is that their opponents are also innocent, but are penalized by being at a competitive disadvantage in their games. If there were no victims in this, I think a fine would be sufficient, but I feel that in a case like this, assuming they clearly broke league rules, losing draft pick(s) would be a fair punishment.
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

does anybody really think the patriots are the only team here? they may be the only team with the guts to use a video camera team... but every team is trying to steal the other team signals.

and if cheating makes you so much better lets get some signal stealers for our lions lol
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The coach did this, more than likely, without the players knowledge.
    This is why there will be a penalty. The Jets were the victim. Taking Draft picks hurts the fans too. [But they're never innocent]
    Drill Belilcic only. If it was his idea.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It was for sure without the players' knowledge. Players switch between teams all the time. You can't have them taking that sort of knowledge out of the organization.

I can't believe they didn't use more of a hidden camera.

That is the point of signals though, right? So that the people trying to intercept them can't figure out what they are communicating.

Football is more like war than any other American sport, with the different tactical coordinators, the on-field general (QB), the complexity of the schemes, the opposing fronts, the overhead camera shots, the electronic communications, the ground attack, the aerial attack, and now the spying.
  12. Nemo

I understand that the Jets head coach, a former assistant to Bellichick, was the stooley. Sounds to me like he should be fined also. If he knew of this wrongdoing back during his tenure, and he didn't come forth then, that makes him an accomplice.............:yellowprison: ...Mangini.........
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nah, that's part of the risk. Why do you think they made Weiss disappear to Notre Dame? :nerd2:

It's only cheating if you get caught. I don't see the Pats losing any Superbowl rings over this.

WCF doesn't even allow cheerleaders, you know the Lions have been at a competitive disadvantage for years playing the role of choir boys.
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'd like to see the Patriots' ownership fined and the team should also lose draft picks. Basically, a message needs to be sent to the rest of the league. It's a shame the Pats fans will have to suffer (loss of draft picks) but they've had it pretty good for a long while now.
  15. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Is this a joke? It's alright to photograph every angle of every offensive play that a QB directs and have the info downloaded to a laptop or printed and ready for review before the QB can finish slugging some Gatoraid and sit down. He slaps on a headset and and participates in a conference call with coaches upstairs as they disect the last possesion.

So now it's illegal to corellate the sideline defensive signals with the legally obtained encyclopedia of realtime player movement.

Much ado about nothing.
  16. Nemo

I feel this was about the whole issue.........................
  17. jammertime

The League has fined Pats coach Bill Belichick the maximum $500,000 fine and the team an additional $250,000. The team will also forfeit their First Round draft pick in 2008 if they make the playoffs this year or their 2nd and 3rd round picks if they don't.

ESPN - Belichick fined $500K for taping Jets' signals - NFL

Wow, that's a pretty steep penalty. Your thoughts?
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How was Tim Donaghy involved in this? :stirthepot: :nerd2: :gun1:
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Tim was just a bad apple. Stern threw him away and now everything's cool.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Intentionally breaking the rules of the sport is far from "much ado about nothing". The penalty imposed tonight sends a clear picture that cheating in the NFL will not be tolerated. The commissioner got it right on this one. Good for Goodell. I'm glad he penalized both the team and the coach.