Paul to Lakers for Odom/Gasol (possibly Houston as a third team)?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Dec 8, 2011.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Multiple sights report that the trade is close to being finalized. Lakers are also reportedly pursuing Howard.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stern just nixed this deal. Thread closed.

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7333285/los-angeles-lakers-deal-acquire-chris-paul-off

Wow, the NBA is officially a sham. Stern seems to be really determined to lose me as a fan.

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I don't like that this trade was nixed. That is all I have to say.

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Dan Gilber's email to David Stern:

6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...If anything, I thought Houston would have been the team getting the short end of the stick on that deal.

7. BillLaimbeer

If a lopsided trade like this is within the rules, they need to change the rules, not give super powers to the commissioner.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As an individual who lives in the Los Angeles market, I cheered Emperor Stern's decision. There was no way I wanted the Lakers to dominate the western conference with two of the best players in the league. If they got DHoward later, they would already be setting their sights on getting Mr. Griffin to move to the other side of the Staples Center team locker room next season and we would have a Laker -Heat final for the next 3 years with the rest of the league just playing the games during the season for entertainment only.

NYPistonFan729 likes this.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Aren't the Hornets still ownerless? As in it is still owned by the NBA? So, that's what Gilbert was alluding to in his e-mail with the 29 owners of the Hornets thing. Since Stern is the dictator of NBA, he essentially owns the Hornets.

10. BillLaimbeer

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What lopsided trade?

The Lakers take a big risk that Chris Paul's knee wasn't being duct-taped together last season while giving away their starting frontcourt, including the 2nd-best center in the league.

The Hornets get a great 2-guard (averaged 23 points last year), a suitable young backup at point guard, a power forward that averaged 18 points and 8 rebounds last year, a versatile player that can fill either forward position and was once the key piece in a trade for Shaq, and a first-round draft pick from the Knicks for one of the best point guards in the league (who also might have a duct-taped knee).
    The Rockets get the second-best center in the league and give up a great power forward, a good 2-guard, a point guard prospect, and the Knick's draft pick.

I'm trying to understand how this is a crazy trade.

12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If the league objected to NO taking on alot more salary long term while being owned by the NBA I can atleast see an argument for this. If the league made some random judgement that the deal was loopsided because they found Paul to be by far the best player in the deal and it would create another superteam it's ridiculous. If Stern killed it to stop the players from dictating where they want to go it's a disaster.

The upside of this debacle is that it will stop the Hornets from grabbing Stuckey to replace Paul.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Glad Stern didn't nix our Grant Hill trade.

14. max

max All-Star

There is no reason other than Dan Gilbert and a couple other small market owners complaining to Stern about it.

My guess is Stern never would have cancelled if not for NO being a league owned team. Seemed like it was a win-win for all parties involved. Now NO riskes possible having to take a far worse deal before Pail walks.

They need to either sell that team to a real owner or contract it.

15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

This was a very lop sided trade, but Stern needs to be fired. First off the New Orleans Hornets should have been dispanded. The league owning the team is problematic. Also Rondo for CP3 was a much better deal for New Orleans. Odom is old and Kevin Martin stays on the injury list. Ultimately guy's are going to sign where ever they want when they are free agents. I think to remedy this would be that big market teams should be require to part with 1st round draft picks and cash as compensation when they sign a FRANCHISE taged player.

max and round like this.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

coynejeremy likes this.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is there any chance that we can collectively sue Stern for failing to provide oversight on JD's free agent signings?

18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I like that FRANCHISE taged player bit you put in.... if you want to sign away the James of the world... you can, but you also have to give up something in return....

19. max

max All-Star

Seems like small market teams are there own worst enemy. They want players to commit for life but insist on strict limits on how long they can sign a player for. You used to be able to lock a player in for 7 -10 years or so.

20. max

max All-Star

This article sums up reasons for the nixed trade. Sounds very familiar to that we went through while the Pistons were on the market. - Can't make trades that may significantly affect the teams payroll which in turn affects the asking price of the franchise which is trying to be sold.

Also Gilberts letter ( I don't have it here ) mainly asks that Stern put it up for a vote to the leagues 29 owners. Seems reasonable to me since the 29 other owners in effect own the Hornets.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/featur...ers-trade-progress/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1