Penn State

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by detteam, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

This "Freeze" report isn't a legal doc. And he took some liberties with what was said. But if Paterno and the upper management chose not to rat Sandusky out and didn't shut him down from PennState, [he could've snuck back on later, testing the ban.] then they have some discipline coming.
    But I think only a minor NCAA reprimand, say, 1 bowl game.

3. Nemo

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

They sure lowered the boom on Penn State.

They could have doubled the penalties or given them the death penalty and I would totally be support although it makes me sad for the innocent people who were hurt in the past by Penn State's actions and for the people who are innocent and are being punished now.

The only thing I question, are the vacated wins. It would be different if they had ringers
    or something to actually directly influence the outcome. But how can you say something didn't happen when it did happen? Well, I guess Penn State did that in a different way.

I think maybe the Big Ten should have booted them out of the conference. But I am sure they had a lot of good reasons not to do that.

Somebody asked if it should be called Penn State or the State Penn. another suggested they knocked the statue down and drag it through the streets. Another said they should take the statue down because "who knows where that finger has been"? Ouch.

To me it is obvious that the family of Paterno only cares about themselves. But that's what you expect.

Sickening. It is mind boggling to think this is all real.

Bobby Bowden becomes the winningest coach in NCAA history during the off-season.

Will Penn State ever recover? I believe it will take 15 years at least before they do if they ever do.

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If the fans from the sites I frequent for my BigTen football weren't such a cult towards there go Joepa (I wish I was stretching that statement.... really) were not so wrapped up into the wins and how important the games are to them... I would have been in the camp that the victory removal was overboard, I think that it was the only punishment that really will signal to the fan base how there perspective has been warped.

Yesterday a poster compared Joepa to Jesus and how he was looking down over them now, I mean you can't make this up.... I also read an Ohiostate board and they have a few posters who troll other boards, and they are laughing at the real posters going farther and doing things they couldn't even think of...

I hope this sends a clear message to any coach that even for a second thinks of covering up such a disgusting and gutless act as what has happened at PSU.

If you want to get some chuckles.... check out some of the threads at BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Message Boards

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I like this thread. So, the last time y'all won a Football game, Mike McQueary was your QB?

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This outcome surprises me. Seems like punishments like this are for competitive violations (cheating in recruiting, paying athletes, etc).

Who let these clowns into the big ten anyway? I guess there should be some sort of background check...

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The unfortunate part is the players who are on the team now are being punished for something that occurred when they 5-6 years old. If there is a potential blue chip player here, he can't do any this upcoming season but play out the season or transfer to another school so that he can he eligible to play next fall.., and show Mel Kiper Jr etal that he had the skills to play on Sundays in the future..

10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The players can transfer immediately without waiting a year...that's part of the deal. I think a lot of them will bail.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you're on that team and have a chance at the NFL, you are out of there for sure. It will clearly be a devastating blow that will hurt the program for years. The only other thing that they could have done to hurt them would have been to force them to hire RichRod.

Darth Tater likes this.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's good....wonder if any of them had been in the radar of other teams, anticipating something like this may happen?? We are only month from the start of the collegiate season so it may be tight for a transfer to another big 10 school and learn the plays unless they are a quick learner and can make a difference on special teams etc..

13. Nemo

Just sell the statue to carnival cruise lines and they can use it as an anchor on one of their big ships.

I envision the Administrators approaching the Alumni (1 Billion Dollar endowment) saying, "For no death penalty....here's what we have to give up." and then they say, "hell yes, just do it".........

Darth Tater likes this.
  14. max

max All-Star

I thought they were going to shut it down for at least a year or 2. Interesting to see who will sign there knowing they have no chance of being in a bowl game. Might be kind of a zombie team for 4 years. Maybe taking a year off would have been a better deal for them. They were sentenced to be a Kent State for 4 years.

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I can't believe it.
    !
    All these head coaches pull the same stunt. Ignore until caught.
    Tressel did the same thing.
    I guess when the D.A. turned up missing with his computer in the lake and the hard drive removed, they all thought "game on".
    Maybe in the long run the $50M that goes to helping little boys will stop some of the BS.
    Everyone that's culpable is gone or dead, why punish now ?
    ----------
    As I see it JoePa was 75 when this happened and he wanted to coach til he died. Well he lasted 10 more years.
    ----------
    [portion of post redacted]

16. max

max All-Star

This is not the end. Several are still being investigated for criminal charges relating to the cover up.

17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Can transfer and play this min... they also don't count against this years scholarship limit for the new school. Remember that Wisconsins QB transferred in and was voted team captain after the Aug camp. I think kids that want to leave the past behind and get a new start should be ok.

18. Nemo

The linebacker and RB look good for Michigan...............
    Wonder what the protocall is for recruiting those guys?
    Ball State for 4 years.............more like Applachian St. for 12 years.

I'd like to believe these punishments are being dealt out...............for widespread university ignorance.
    I'm sure the legal system will get the people involved.

Glad to see the BIG 10 also imposed additional financial penalties totalling 13 million dollars.
    Joe Pa's family needs to change the image they're projecting.......or they'll be in for a long rude awakening.

19. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

This whole incident fills me will such anger. I can't help but think, if I, as a complete outsider have these feelings, then how could those responsible not have had them and acted as they should? How could Paterno, the PSU administrators, the missing DA, the local and campus police, the Second Mile people all fail so miserably at simply doing the human thing? How can they all have failed to have anger toward Sandusky and taken action to stop this monster? How can so many people protect this man simply to protect the sanctity of PSU football and the legacy of Joe Paterno? How is this ever possible? Just thinking about it makes me sick. There is a special place in hell for all of them.

The next time I hear somebody talk about all the "good" that Joe Paterno did, I'm going to go fricking A-Bomb on them.

linwood, Nemo and round like this.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If a kid has already sign a National Letter of Intent with a college, no other school can initiate contact to recruit that player away.