Perplexed...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Nov 9, 2005.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Over the first few games, the complexion of the Pistons has obviously changed dramatically from LB's tenure. Flip is exploiting the break potential created by the D. The pace has quickened substantially.

However, you can't be aggressive at both ends without fatigue setting in. Tho the P's may have the talent, pretty hard IMO, for a team to transition from D-first/halfcourt-O to a lot of run-and-gun. I'm glad Flip has given the bench minutes in pre-season because he's going to need those guys over the course of the season, given his apparent philosophy.

I am still trying to figure out how this season will work out for the P's. We have a whole new animal here.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think its a lot tougher to grind out a defensive win than get a bunch of easy buckets. When the pistons got easy transition buckets off the D, they blew teams out. For the most part, they stuck with an inefficient offensive philosophy. It seemed like a lot of work on the offensive side.

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

It chewed a lot off the clock also and usually resulted in a good look.

I hope the Pistons can find a way to harmoniously balance the past with their present...the future result could be awesome!

4. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

This philosophy paradigm has been around since Carlisle. Carlisle openly admits he rather grind out a win 78-76 than risk a win by running, thats why his offenses were so stagnant. Nvertheless, it opened up with Brown than even moreso now. Its pretty easy logic, if your offense is putting up such solid numbers, than the D doesn't have to shut down the team on EVERY possesion. Now, the team can clamp down in certain situations, ie the end of halves in order to take a team out. Look at San Antonio. They will be coastingto a 100 pt game than for a 10 minute period absolutly lock down a team. They can coast then for 20 minutes as the team tries to catch up by jacking up ridiculous shots etc. A good O contributes to a good D a lot. Plus with the Det D so good, I could never figure out why they didnt break more since misses shots/blocks/TOs turn in to easy fast break opportunities if desired

5. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Great Post

All I can add is that good offense always start with great defense. That's what Saunders is taking advantage of. The D was already there, now the Stones are just forcing the pace off of their good defense.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

yes getting easy buckets is much easier than grinding out, but if the pistons can't run it out of stops in tight games they can still grind out a win. which is very useful.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Some things go together. Cookies and milk. Pie and Ice Cream. Ben and Rasheed.

To play that grinding form of power defense, you need to be a half court team that takes the air out of the ball to some degree.

The Pistons are in a unique position of having the skill, experience and talent to play better offensively while still being a dominant defensive team.

Nonetheless, if you can keep the score low, even a bad team has a chance for the win. In the playoffs, where the whistles come slower and the stage is bigger, slowing down the pace and grinding out wins has tremendous value.

The thing that Detroit is doing so well now is running the ball with 2 to 3 men. They leave guys in their own court to prevent a fast break off of misses. Phoenix does not do this. Everyone gets out and runs relentlessly. It costs them a lot of transition buckets in return.

It will be interesting to see how much running the Pistons can do against Indiana and San Antonio. Right now, we have played teams with losing records. I want to see how Detroit matches up against the elite, not the teams jockeying for lottery position.

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

we can scratch Maimi as a test. At least right now. :P

9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Running those 2 to 3 guys will take a toll...that's why the bench is way more important now than it was during LB ball. Even Rip might get winded running end-to-end every 5 seconds :)

10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, but the other team will get tired as well.

It takes more energy to defend than it does to play offence (Rip might be the exception to that rule). Look at football as an example. When an offence puts together long drives, the announcers always talk about how the defence is getting tired and worn down, they never say that the offence must be getting tired. Both teams are out there for the same amount of time, so why not the offence? Playing D and getting clobbered at it is also emotionally draining and is a real shot to the confidence.

The more transition, fast break, easy buckets we can get, the more the other team will be on its heels. When we're on the road, it takes their fans out of the game and when we're at home it pumps us up.

An up tempo, fast break, back and forth game, I would think would take less out of the team than the grind it out style we're used to. (someone else already said the same thing, I'm just too lazy to check who it was and quote them).

I like the "new look" Pistons. I agree with Micro that playing the low scoring games gives the other (most times inferior) team a better chance to win. Not to mention the fact that our starters have to play more minutes.

Ideally we'd like to be able to play either game well and tailor our approach to the opponent. I've liked what I've seen so far this season (tempered by the easy opponents we've gone up against so far).