Peyton Siva

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by vincy4fish98, Jun 29, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What some see as overdribbling is really just a whole lot of talent.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Since Siva did just play, we do not have to speculate that much. He was effective in getting the ball inside, to the tune of 4 assists in short minutes. Nobody shot over him. And this was the Heat. He was minus 2 for the game, so hardly the reason we lost the game. Since Jennings was way minus, he actually did better than Jennings in that category.

If you want to find fault in this one, look at the starting point guard. Jennings did two things wrong. One, he did not orchestrate the plays such that people were in position to get back on D in case of a missed shot - and his several turns led usually to quick points by Miami.

I would suggest we wait for Siva to actually have a bad game before we pile too much criticism on him.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I like Peyton Siva. He seems like a good kid. Won a National Championship. He's from my current city of Seattle. In fact, he went to HS just a few miles from where I live.

That's cool. I don't see that he is a big time or even small time NBA contributor. I know we should wait for Siva to actually have a bad game before we pile too much criticism on him, but maybe we should wait for him to have a good game before we start piling on the praise.

Lee, which of these games would you consider a good one for Peyton?

Peyton Siva Game By Game Stats and Performance - Detroit Pistons - ESPN

vincy4fish98 likes this.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I know of nobody who has piled much praise on Siva. Now, if you like Bynum, and think that since I like Siva more than Bynum, maybe in your mind that equates to me praising Siva. But I will be clear. Bynum should be waived. I like him not at all. To say Siva should have his spot as an emergency point guard is very thin praise indeed. Praise sure, but very little, by no means "piling it on."

5. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Ok I will bite. I started this thread and I admit I am pulling for the kid to succeed. Despite all the he ain't gonna make it, he better save his money cause he is going be out of the league after this season, he needs to go to development league, bla bla bla, I hear a lot of haters out of my Piston brothers. Once upon a time, when JKidd first came in the league, the knock on him was he was a great PG but he had a broken J. It took some time for him to develop it into a serviceable J. I am in no way comparing him to JKidd, no way no how. What I am saying is before we dig the grave and bury the kid, let's see how he does with some additional time, and maybe see how he transitions in year 2 if he is still around.

I see flashes from him, of running sets and making sure he feeds the ball inside. I am a contrarian, I really don't care so much if he can make shots, b/c he may need work in that dept and that isn't why we drafted him for, but a PG he is. If we can deal with Kyle "freaking" Singler, certainly we can deal with Siva. The last time I checked he plays for our team, he is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders that tries to execute on the floor.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So far this year, Charlie V's PER is 23.6 with a 3.2% turnover percentage and Siva's is -5.7 with a 60% turnover percentage.

Siva's Offensive Rating is 36 and his defensive rating is 105 (only a spread of 69 points per 100 possessions).
    He has -0.236 win shares per 48 minutes (i.e. would hurt the team by about 19 wins per season if they were forced to play him throughout).

He's 3 years older than Drummond...

But my original point wasn't so much to criticize him as it was to point out that he's playing it way too safe. If you're going to get your chance in the NBA with injuries to 2 guys ahead of you, you really need to play your game and hope they like it. It was refreshing to see him take it to the rim last game. We can't even tell if PS has a broken J because he never attempts any shots. He attempts 1 jump shot for every 15 minutes of playing time. So, about 1 possession out of 25 that he's a part of. He's actually never made an NBA jump shot or attempted an NBA free throw.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The kid has skills. He looks awfully nervous when he's playing. In the eyes of this casual Internet fan, it looks like he realizes that the Stuckey/Bynum/Billups injuries was his big opportunity to make a move and he's getting crushed under the overwhelming weight of that "once in a lifetime opportunity". He just needs to go out and play his game.

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Yea...all statistics and secondary segments (for the above): street ball gymnastics and mythological dreams of capturing lightening that was past.

9. pass99

Well, for sure: one need not look further than beyond a Nash.

BallDon'tLie, Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tonight's Piston winner with the most posts about him today ...the honorable Peyton Siva..with 19 and counting.............:goodstuff:

11. pass99

I have supreme confidence in your analytical in-shore summations that begins and ends in some type of homer question mark. I am about to wonder the god-like status that some might be influence by your dissolution into another: Where do you speak from?

12. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Every time he plays he stinks it up on the offensive end. He isn't a bad defensive guard, but by golly is he a waste of space on the other end. People are literally giving him 5-6 feet of space and daring him to shoot wide open jumpshots and he simply will not take it. He routinely got trapped on the wings. He routinely gets scared off the ball and he turns it over way too often.

I like the guy. I like the fact that he is a good dribbler and he has real speed. He gets into the lane. He really wants to play a team game. But this guy isn't a jump shot short of being Jason Kidd. He is a jump shot short of being a serviceable back up point guard, or if nothing else, an NBA ready player.

I hope that you are not insinuating that Brandon Jennings was in any way worse than Peyton Siva in this game. Siva is the definition of a guy who makes it 4 on 5. He is the Luc Mbah a Moute of point guards. Except worse.

Jennings didn't have a good game. 6 turnovers. A bunch of forced 3's. And he constantly got stuck in the wings with the aggressive Miami perimeter defense. But he isn't the reason we lost.

Kyle Singler makes buckets and turns the ball over less than once per game. He doesn't have a negative PER. In a quarter of the playing time, Siva turns the ball over twice as much, shoots a worse percentage, takes infinitely less free throws and generally is consistently bad.

Apart from all that, I think he could be a good back up. But he needs to shoot when he is open.

LA Dre likes this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pope, Singler, Villanueva, and Harrellson are all in the top 20 in the league in terms of turnover avoidance. Pope is #2 behind only Battier.

Siva is essentially tied for last with Kuzmic (who the heck is that?) at 9.3 per 48 min.
    [​IMG]

133 touches on the season for Siva and 8 shots. He passes it 17 times for every 1 shot! Charlie V passes it 1 time for every 17 shots. Can't have these 2 on the court together because every possession, the ball will find it's way to Charlie.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    TWOTIMESRALPHI and LA Dre like this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Did you guys ever watch him play while at Louisville? HE IS PLAYING HIS GAME!!!! It's a game taylor made for the college level. Remember this kid played 4 years of college basketball, he's not some young'n (relatively speaking of course) that came out of school early. What you see is what you got!

The Panda and LA Dre like this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

To be fair, this is our 4th string PG and he falls in the depth chart behind:
    1) Brandon Jennings
    2) Mr. big tendinitis
    3) a guy who has no business being on an NBA roster

kpaav, coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All of the last 5 posts deserve a LIKE....couldn't have said it any better myself. The smartest thing Mo did during the 4 game win streak was to pull Siva before the opposition turned his negativeness into a positive for him. Dude never took a shot and by the time we took a shot it was forced or he caused a TO for either him or a team mate.

Last night vs Miami, he got more PT due to the collider injury and he decided to take a couple of shots. As soon as the two of the other three guards get back, he needs to be shipped to the D league so he can get some everyday play and learn.........otherwise he will be one of those guys who we will be talking about two years now wondering what ever happen to him.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, I forgot about Stuck and his bruise. Siva is 5th string PG? He's one B. Jennings nightclub suckerpunching from having to log a 48 minute game at the point!

roscoe36 and LA Dre like this.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

[​IMG]

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rookie point guard Peyton Siva and rookie forward Tony Mitchell will participate with the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants in the NBA Development League Showcase, which begins today in Reno, Nev. The five-day event is a chance for D-Leaguers to perform in front of NBA executives. The Mad Ants play Monday and Wednesday.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is this a shot at the Pistons front office, claiming they're not NBA executive material?