PF.com Fantasy Baseball 2008

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by BillLaimbeer, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I'm really not into fantasy sports, other than the fact I hope the Lions win the Super Bowl someday, but I saw this article that I thought a few of you who enjoy fanstasy baseball might find interesting. Here is a portion of what it said.

"A fantasy sports league is facing a very real lawsuit from Major League Baseball, and the U.S. Supreme Court is deciding right now whether it wants to play ball.
    At issue is a big case roiling the sports world: Can MLB and its players charge fantasy leagues for the right to use their names and statistics?"
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Interesting stuff. I'm sure Darth Tater's heart skipped a beat when he read that.

P.S. Loved the Lions comment! :pound:
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LOL walrus breath. Good to see you finally came out of hibernation. I've been forced to mess with Roscoe the last couple of days.

If I'm not mistaken, this battle (or similar ones) have been going on in the courts for several years. Cyber law is like the new frontier. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I doubt it affects the individual leagues. I think it only affects Yahoo & those guys, but they could pass the costs on.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's nonsense. MLB should be ashamed of itself.

The internet is a free and open market. There is nothing to stop someone from starting black market leagues with the real names and stats.

If MLB had any class (or business sense), they would partner with Yahoo, rather than alienate Fantasy Baseball fans.
  5. Darth Tater

You are talking about the same people that turned a blind eye to steroid use for years and now want to do a witch hunt...
  6. Darth Tater

OK, this place needs to liven up...now that the Pistons are officially dead.

So, I'm playing Hoof Hearted this week. Dating back to last year, he always brings his best against me. I'm starting to take it personally. No matter how good my team is...the green guy gives me trouble and has beat me in close matches two of three times. Three of four if things keep up like they are this week.

So wtf..is Hoof hearted anyhow? Half hearted? Does he like horses? I don't get it.

What's in a name?

Ok, I can deal with Jammer's name. Jammers Jays. He likes them (can't imagine why) and has some on his team...so the name makes sense.

Laims Lethal Lineup. Again, his lineup ain't so lethal, but the use of alliteration works for me.

Sandwich Microwaves. Gimme a break. For 8 years and 45 teams this guy uses the same name. What does ORIGINALITY mean to you?

Bezeach:The guy changes name as often as he talks trash. Lame!

Roundabouts:Not too bad. From the song by "Yes"? If not...what?

Holliday Inn Express:Well, it's better than Baseballers & footballers...but I guess his Dad could only come up with one clever name per season.

Legat:HUH??????? Lucy...you have splainin' to do...

Tigers PFP:Is that like Mayberry RFD? What the heck does PFP stand for. "Pistons Forum Pansies"?

Phillies Phever:Best name of the bunch. Funny...best team too! :p_welldone:

OMG. Look at my lineup guys. This is the first time the entire season (including draft day) that I have NOBODY on the DL. You are all in trouble now. :djparty: Gotta go. They want my ring size.:winner_first_h4h:
  7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

my wife is from scotland... tons of roundabouts there.... thats about it.... lol

if i could just get lucky a few weeks i could be in the thick of things.... i have lost two weeks where the scores were like 9-1 and if you look at the stats i was within 3-4 in each set.... maybe i'll start to string some good weeks together now... fingers crossed
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

When I was on the DetNews, I was the microwave, and my location was Ol' Sandwich, or Sandwich town, an old part of Windsor, where I grew up.

Hence, my team are the microwaves (an army of Vinnie Johnson clones) from the town of Old Sandwich.

Geez. Learn to google already!

Another nipple ring? :pound:
  9. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Darth, several years ago, I was watching a horse race of funniest sport videos or whatever. In the race the name of the horse that was in it was hoof hearted. Well hoof hearted was kiind of towards the back but as the race was coming down to the final stretch. The announcer was going nuts saying hoof hearted every few seconds cause hoof hearted was making a huge comeback. Anyways if you say hoof hearted about five times in a row, it sounds like you are saying "who farted'. Well when the announcer said it about 5 times in a row really fast, he realized whoever named the horse kind of pulled one over on him, cause he immediately bust out in laughter right in the middle of calling his horse race. In the video, it actually sounded like the announcer kept yelling who farted. Thus it made it into one of the funniest sports videos. I told that story on a thread in here a few years ago about funny sport names or whatever, and one of the guys (ggazoo?) I think went with it.
  10. Darth Tater

:pound::pound::pound: That's hilarious. Never even occurred to me.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

pitchers' fielding practice!! a tribute to the world series the tigers blew to the cardinals :)
  12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Precisely. That's why I'm using it.
  13. Darth Tater

Please remember to keep your lineups current.

I've noticed one or two teams with players on the DL in their fantasy lineups. The players had been hurt for more than a week.

It's fun to crush Jammer 11-1, but it's no fun beating a guy 11-1 when he isn't paying attention. I'm sure it's been an oversight, but please try to check once a week.

Thanks.
  14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I watched a little of Boston vs. Philadelphia last night. If Boston can fight off the injury bug, this might be your World Series matchup.
  15. Darth Tater

Ok, so I make a blockbuster trade with Warty last week. I mean, it's only been three days but the two guys I got are 0 for 23!

WTF??:pound:

Bill, are you still commissioner? Where have you been?

I was looking forward to playing Roscoe...as always. But it's turned out to be a battle of suckiness this week.

I play Jammer's Expos soon. Should be fun, eh?

Wake up fellas. :stirthepot:
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

muahahahahahahahahahahha~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My team is perfectly positioned to make a run for the title this summer. Actually, the Philly Phever has as good a chance as any for that coveted runner-up trophy in this league.
  18. Darth Tater

I can't believe we are already halfway through the fantasy baseball season and my team hasn't clinched first place yet.:yellowprison:

I really need to light a fire under these guys. Every time they look at the standings and see Jammer in 2nd place trailing FAR behind them they just start laughing uncontrollably when I tell them to step it up ...:sssh::stirthepot:
  19. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

See, unlike you who complains daily when one of your players stubs his baby toe, I don't find it necessary to cry about player injuries. :kleenex: I just suck it up and deal with it.

But when Alfonso Soriano, Eric Byrnes, Rafeal Soriano and Fausto Carmona all come off the DL that FAR behind will become kicking your behind.:gun1:
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Those guys are all still in the league? I thought they all retired....