PF.com Fantasy Baseball?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by roscoe36, Feb 18, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A pitcher gets credit for a Win. Won/Loss record for a pitcher is a key baseball stat.

15+ win Pitchers are a premium. 20+ win are elite.

Relief Pitchers who lose a lead (and the chance for a save) but continue to pitch and gain a victory are also elite. They have the confidence of their team to overcome adversity.

Complete Games is a wildcard stat. The Hockey equivalent is Shut Outs for goalies. There is no equivalent stat in Basketball afaik.

Saves are tricky.
    Save (sport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

This is mostly a reliever (relief pitcher) stat.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yes. It's like a goalie in hockey. If the team wins the game the pitcher gets the win. It's a big deal.

No, most pitchers don't pitch complete games these days. They used to long ago. You want a guy with lots of strikeouts, low earned run average, plus lots of wins.

Relievers can get a save or a win in a game. A save is when the reliever comes in or eventually is in a situation where the tying or winning run is on base, I think, and he holds the lead. Or when he pitches X innings, I believe. It's been a while and I forgot most this stuff.
    He can also get a win...if the team is losing when he came in...or if they were winning...he blows the lead...but then his team wins for him. It pisses off the starters to no end, lmao.

3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This still doesn't make full sense to me because don't they play over 100 games a season? When do they get credit for a win and when don't they?

So it looks like relievers get lots of saves but not as many wins, and starters get more wins and not many saves.

Ok, so now i think i've got most of the cats down, i have to try and work out a strategy. and try and figure out which are the rare cats. (ie. blocks, steals)

also a couple more things on the positions.
    UTIL is used like bball? (ie. any position)
    what are P (3 of them) and DL (1)?

4. roscoe36

DL = Disabled List aka IR

P are generic Pitchers. They can be relievers or starting pitchers.

UTIL are batting positions (generic)

5. Darth Tater

Uggh.

You know, from what I've seen, the people who miss the live draft seem to do better drafting than the people who hand pick their players. Probably because we don't let our personal biases get in the way.

But I want guys from a particular team so I am not sure what to do! I know eventually, my competitive nature will take over and I'll try to win at all costs rather than just have a ball playing. So I don't know what to do. Cognitive dissonance is a beotch.

I guess I'll just have to be happy with my HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP that is coming my way soon. That is if I can ever get some players on the ice. OK,wrong thread. LOL.

Webz, a pitcher gets the win when he leaves the game after establishing a lead or when his team wins. I think a starting pitcher has to pitch a minimum of 5 2/3 innings or something though. I used to know this stuff, but I lost interest in baseball for years until the Tigers revived it last year.

Like Roscoe said, 20 wins is excellent. I would imagine the good pitchers are very valuable assets in fantasy, but I'm not sure. Roscoe is being very :tape: because he KNOWS what is gonna happen if he gives us hints. But it's inevitable anyhow.:pound:

6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Not much of a fantasy participant, but educating Webz about baseball sounds fun!

A starting pitcher needs to pitch a minimum of 5 innings to be eligible for a win in that game. If he goes at least 5 innings, AND his team has the lead when he leaves the game, AND they don't relinquish it for the rest of the game, then he gets the win.

Most teams use a 5-man rotation of starting pitchers, so starters only pitch once every 5 games, i.e. around 30-35 times a season (out of 162 games) at most. That's why a starter who wins 20 or more games in a season is considered an elite pitcher: his team is winning at least 2/3 of the games in which he starts.

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, thanks for all that info D4E. I understand now. I know how to play baseball mostly but i don't know anything technical about it. I never knew about the rotating 5 pitchers.

As long as i know enough about the statistical part of the game i think i might be able to avoid being an easy-beat.

8. Darth Tater

Yeah, they have to rotate em' or their arms will fall off.
    Also, teams usually have a long reliever (set up man) and short reliever (who usually gets the save or the win).

9. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can make the Friday Draft.

Not sure why, since the computer will do a better job than I will.

But, anything to beat Tater. (and he's going to go down in hockey - if I can get by roscoe).

Where do I find all the pre-draft info?? Player rankings , etc.

10. Darth Tater

Once you join the league officially you can find that stuff. Roscoe prolly sent you a pm. If not, pm me and I'll forward you the info.

11. Darth Tater

Woody, we should take this to the hockey thread, but don't assume I'll get by Jammer. He always puts up a good fight and we split the season series.

12. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I'll be able to make the draft, luckily!

13. roscoe36

Ok folks, looks like the draft is set now.

I've PM'd everyone info on signing up to the league. Get your butts in gear please!

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

7 p.m. draft is fine with me on Friday. I'll be re-arranging the old sock drawer until 6:59:59.

Can someone explain to me what has to be done BEFORE 7 p.m. on Friday? Do we have to rank players?

15. roscoe36

League Business

1. Draft is Friday at 7:00 PM EDT. If you cannot make it, the computer will pre-draft for you. You can change the default pre-ranking of players if you wish.

2007 Pistonsforum Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball

Click on EDIT MY RANKINGS above the short players list they display.

You may want to exclude players you hate, or anyone who has a late spring training injury/roster change (down the depth chart slide). You can also choose to move them down the list. Typically the Yahoo list is very good, but you want to keep in mind that just because a guy hit .300 and 30 homers last year doesn't mean he will repeat that feat.

Now if you see a diamond in the rough, maybe a rookie who could start the season with the big club and go off, move him up the list.

Don't worry. After the draft, you can add undrafted players if you see a gem out there, and you can make trades.

2. Some resources. Note: You do NOT need to spend any money on draft kits or additional products. You can if you so choose, but this is a casual league and personally I consider those investments unsound.

Team Depth Charts (draft full time players, not situational ones!)
    Fantasy Baseball - Rotoworld.com

Fantasy Preview and Draft Do's and Don'ts
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: Fantasy: Fantasy Home

Draft Rankings (from a site I like)
    Fantasy Baseball Player Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2007

3. A couple tips on drafting. The scarcest quality players are catchers, short stops and relief pitchers (closers). A starting pitcher who throws a lot of strikeouts is also a plus particularly if he is a winner. Avoid middle relief pitchers, those guys are too inconsistent with their playing time to be dependable for wins or saves (Joel Zumaya excepted).

4. I want to remind everyone, that lineups are set once weekly, before Monday. Be prepared to set the next week's lineup early, say Friday/Saturday or so.

5. Any questions, please post to this thread. I will do my best to answer them however I have a heavy workload right now, so anyone can step in and provide a response if they know the answer. There are no dumb questions.

16. Darth Tater

If I have two players at a particular position, say catcher, and there is only one catcher slot every day, does that mean I need to pick one or the other to play the entire week when I set my lineup on Sunday?

17. roscoe36

No. You set your lineup and that is who plays all week.

So here comes a free microwave tip.

A starting pitcher who plays Monday, has a pretty good shot to sneak a second game in the next weekend. ;)

You do not want to carry two catchers. I would recommend a utility infielder and some extra outfielders for starters.

18. Darth Tater

OK, so for instance, Kenny Rogers pitches Monday. So he is my pitcher all week, and I have to sit Bonderman that entire week, right?

Also, I was surprised that Catcher and shortstop are rare, but it makes sense when you think about it.

19. roscoe36

I'm talking rare as there are few standouts at that position. Also, some catchers split duty, the elite are less likely to do so.

Yeah, Rogers vs. Bonderman, but you can play up to 5 starting pitchers (2 x SP, 3 x P). If you end up with 5 elite pitchers that you cannot sit one over the other, then you had an amazing draft.

20. Darth Tater

Thanks.