PF.com Fantasy Baseball?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by roscoe36, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Will somebody PLEASE tell me what is going on here?

I want to make a couple free agent moves, but I'm reluctant to release drafted guys even though I have no clue who they are. Is this like hockey where a slew of guys come out of nowhere or is it more like basketball where you only get a Biedrins every blue moon?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Guys will slump and emerge all year. Keep working the free agent wire. It's too early to make sweeping changes unless you have a rash of injuries.
  3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

don't look at me, i don't know either. :confused:

i can figure out the batting thing easy enough, its the pitchers i'm struggling with. the guys only play like once a week, whats the point in that?

yeah i don't know about playing the FA either because i don't even follow the league/s. i'm just looking at stats at the moment. i think i'm just gonna let the dust settle for a few weeks and see what's what.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'll help you Tater.

The best way to get any points is to load up on the BN (stands for Big Numbers) position. Players in the BN position earn 2x the points. Put as many players as humanly possible there. I believe the limit is 21.

Hope that helped. :thumb[1]:
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Baseball, it's just not cricket. :)

The Pitchers blow their arms out in every performance over 6 or 7 innings (out of 9). Your relievers will play almost every game, but your starters need time to rest and recuperate their arms for the next outing.

Honestly, I watch very little baseball (or Hockey for that matter). I work the stats just like everyone else. You can do very well with the #s because they don't contain any hype.
  6. Darth Tater

Great.Thanks Jammer. I'll use the big number strategy against everyone I play...except you since you helped me so much. I'll let you beat me by NOT using my(BN) Big numbers! :pound:
  7. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not to worry, I've got it all figured out. You guys are all just playing for second (just like hockey).

I've got five good starting pitchers and a sixth on the DL.

MY hitters are balanced between good BA guys (Polanco and Jeter) and the bashers (Bonds and Thomas).

I'll see you all in October. :):):):):)
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Woody, your pitchers have an ERA over 5. Are they sandbagging for you?
  9. Woody

I've gotten 3 wins so far this week, although the starters have been hit pretty hard. They all lasted at least 5 innings.

Four guys (Santana, Brandon Webb, Dontrelle Willis and Glavine) were opening day starters so they should go again yet this week. Not bad!! Santana, Dontrelle Willis, and Glavine all got wins.

Their ERA isn't too good, but I got wins and quite a few K's. Lidge blew a save opportunty, so I've still got room for improvement. Just wait until Jered Weaver gets back, and I'll be even stronger!!!

I have Granderson, but he was on the bench this week. Not Good! :-(:mad:
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Quit whining. You're eating my lunch this week.
  11. Darth Tater

The problem is, I have no idea what I'm eating or why I'm eating it! :nerd2::laugh::confused:
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just remember to load up on the BN. It's high in fibre.
  13. Darth Tater

I must have a lot of players needing high fibre diets because the experts say every last one of them should remain on the BN indefinitely.
  14. webz

don't get too comfortable in the fact that you are beating winless 9-0. if you had been playing me this week you would be down 9-3 :gun1:
  15. Woody

Webz: You're right. But I left Granderson on the bench - not good!!!

I am studying Laimbeer's strategy of having 5 RP rather than lots of SP.
    It seems that he'll win saves each week, have a low ERA(unless one of his RP gets bombed and then it will sky-rocket), and a low WHIP. He won't get many wins or K's but should win most pitching stats on average. NOt a bad idea.

I haven't had any real hot hitters (other than Granderson who is not playing) but my totals are O.K.

This is my first shot at a baseball fantasy league and I've much to learn from you guys.

ISN'T THIS FUN!!!!
  16. webz

dude, this is my first shot at baseball FULL STOP!
  17. webz

nearly 2 weeks down. i'm starting to get the hang of things. i'm a little impatient though, because there are guys i want to drop because they have had slow starts but they are apparently too good to waive. (low rankings)

the pitching thing i'm starting to see clearer. got no idea how to predict when someone is playing so i just go with the guys who i think will perform best that week.

my pitchers haven't been doing that well actually. my era's have been terrible. but hopefully they will come good. zito is close to being cut.

how are the other fantasy baseball noobs going out there?
  18. Darth Tater

Well it's kind of hard to say. All things considered I'd say I seem to be doing ok.

Baseball was not first on the list for me. For one thing, my guys are still hung over from their emotionally draining hockey championship. That's the one that really meant a lot to me.

Additionally, once again I am trying to knock off the number one team in basketball. My team doesn't really belong in the championship anyhow, but like everyone else, injuries are destroying me right up to the end. I've lost Aldridge, Gay, Arenas, and now possibly G. Wallace within the last couple of weeks. That being said, I haven't paid that much attention to it.

Ok, so baseball. Well, my gut told me to keep an eye on Bill Laimbeer (just like Woody did). I can't really explain why. It's not like his NCAA tournament picks were any good:lol: (not that I have room to talk), but I just figured he never joins our fantasy leagues so he probably had some experience in baseball. Sure enough, I just now checked his profile and he took 2nd place in a 16 team league last year. Anyhow, I saw he had a lot of pitchers. So I am stocking up and basically dumping my entire bench of fielders.

I've ignored the experts advice and dumped lots of guys who I drafted who got off to slow starts (since they were on the bench anyhow). I really don't like playing scared so I always go for it. I think right now pitching is my major concern (as Roscoe pointed out to me early on).

I don't think stock piling Philadelphia Phillies has hurt me much, but who knows. I'm currently tied for first in the "stat tracker" standings, but it's hard to tell this early in the season because you can't judge where you really stand until you've played each opponent one time.

I have a love/hate thing with the weekly lineups. It's frustrating that you can't make adjustments for injuries, but it's nice not having to agonize over who to play on a given day. It's also nice not needing to remember to set your lineup daily, but part of what I love is the tinkering and free agent searches. So right now it's a toss up for me, but I think it's helped at least this month because I'm totally distracted working on my other teams.

I picked up a pitcher named Greinke last night. It's weird though because he is a starting pitcher from what I can tell, but yahoo lists him as a reliever. Anyone know what's up with this?

I still recognize very few players names. As far as the computer drafting for me, it probably worked out fine. Impossible to say whether I would have done better or worse.

Anyhow, kudos to you Webz. It can't be easy playing a fantasy sport when the game itself is so foreign to you. Then again, as we all know, it's really all about numbers. If it actually took knowledge of the game to win, I would have an empty trophy case.:)
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Glad to see people are aspiring to be like me. LOL. The 16-team league from last year consisted of baseball "experts" from the Detnews Tiger Talk forum. I was proud to finish 2nd in my first attempt at fantasy baseball. With that league, you could adjust your lineup daily (versus once per week with our league). You really had to stay on top of things.

For some reason, I don't like college hoops as much as the NBA. I don't watch a whole lot of games. When I fill out a NCAA bracket, I actually flip a coin for many of my picks. Sometimes, it works. This year, it didn't. :(
  20. Woody

This once-a-week lineup thing is hard for me. I want to juggle things daily.

I'm still trying to figure when my starters will pitch. The little ^ thingy helps, but do they always start on a 5-day rotation?? Seems like it. So while your opponent is raking up K's, your guys are on the bench. That's hard on the patience.

My hitters all went south this past week, maybe they'll all get healthy at the same time. I still haven't decided whether its best to load up on RP.
    And how many hitters do we really need on the BN (big numbers). It would be nice to swap out injured guys for a few days where necessary instead of having to carry them a whole week before changing.

Oh well, I'll get it figured out eventually.