PF.com Keeper League 08-09

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by webz, Sep 29, 2008.

1. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ok fellas, I haven't forgotten about this, just had some things going on.

Time to get serious on a league HQ. While I like Yahoo, unfortunately there is no keeper option, so with that in mind I have been looking around at potential Keeper sites.
    I joined an ESPN Fantasy Football league this year and have been testing out the functionality while playing out my season. I think it's got the right stuff for our BBall league considering the 2 main options we need.

1) Keeper
    2) Free

It's not quite as simply laid out as Yahoo, but it's got some extra features that are nice. The only downside I've seen so far is there doesn't appear to be a Watchlist feature which is a bit annoying but we can live without it. After the season begins, making moves every day/week is perhaps not as important in Keeper leagues anyhow.

Oh, and it's got free live scoring, so no more will the freaks who can afford paying $9.95 have an advantage. (Darth)

I've created a mock PF.com keeper league in ESPN, so everyone feel free to join it and look around. Play with settings, wreck stuff, its not for real so do whatever you want. I have sent invites to the people whose email I already have, otherwise PM me your email and I'll send an invite.

Some more thoughts I've had regarding the draft; I think the Auction draft is a legitimate option, especially considering this first year of the Keeper league is probably the most important.
    This is where you build your foundation for the next few years and the snake order just doesn't seem right. I know there is the problem of getting everyone together and length of time it takes so I've had an idea to combine the Auction and Snake order drafts!

ie.
    First 50 players are called out in Auction format. Which players are called is determined by the pre-draft order set by the provider. Top 1-50 ranked. This should allow most teams to draft at least 3 players, however this depends on your strategy. Maybe Roscoe could open the chat for this?

The rest of the draft would happen as a snake order to save on the time required for participants. This could happen immediately after the Auction while everyone is there, or even a few days later - no problem. If you didn't have any more time to waste on the draft, set your own rankings of the remaining players and let the system do the rest.

I would then add the auction players manually into each teams lineup either before the snake part of the draft or afterwards.

Now all this may sound complicated but I don't think it is. I'd be doing all the background work to help make it a smooth process. Of course I'd have to make sure all this is possible but I already am fairly certain I can do this using ESPN. However, the provider is not confirmed yet, I'm still open to suggestions, but you better make a case for one and make it quick. ESPN is the clubhouse leader right now.

PS - Once we decide on the provider I will get going on an entry list. 12 teams seems to be the consensus so far, so while I encourage everyone interested to get an invite off me and play around with the functions, unfortunately I can't guarantee everyone an actual entry for the league just yet. But your input is very much appreciated.

- webz
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm in. Email sent by PM.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are just sending in a request to be in. There are no guarantees. :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:
  4. roscoe36

I've got some pull with the forum owner. :P
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That's the kind of sick puppy you really are. Pulling on this nasty forum owner just to get in a league...:yukpuke:
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

7. webz

Happy to see all you eager beavers declaring your interest, but could I please have some thoughts/feedback on the proposed system/provider and draft style?

Thanks!
  8. roscoe36

Tomorrow. Promise.
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm very interested. i've learned that i can only play fantasy basketball...i just have no interest in football/baseball leagues. i think an auction format would be very cool and take a lot of preparation.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As much as I love the idea of being in a keeper league, I just don't think that I have the time right now to dedicate to being in one, so I will have to respectfully decline at this time.

It wouldn't be fair to those in the league, and anyone that could potentially be left on the outside looking, for me to enter when I won't be able to put forth 100% effort.
  11. Darth Tater

Yeah, well said. I need to decline too.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this league becomes the premiere/elite pf.com fantasy league, but I'm with the Cannuckian on this.

Best of luck to you guys.
  12. roscoe36

So both of you guys would rather spend time trying out different colours of lipstick and strutting around in your silk pajamas.

Sad. Very sad.
  13. Darth Tater

But the important thing is that we'll be together doing that stuff...:party:
  14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Count me in.

I think ESPN will be cool. It will be soemthing different.
  15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i don't understand what a keeper league is?? is it basically the same except i get to keep darko every year??
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure you can do that in any league.
  17. roscoe36

ba-doom boom Chshhhhhhhh!

Yes bball.

I am in.

I will think over the questions in the first part of this thread tonight.
  18. webz

Thanks 'scoe.

If nobody provides input then I'll just pick the settings I want and I'll refer any complaints to this thread. :MusicBigGrin:

PS - Jammer and Darth, I think you should re-consider. The way you guys sounded I'm under the impression you think this league will involve more work than regular leagues. I really don't think that will be the case. There isn't really any difference, it's just that instead of us all playing each other year after year with new players, you'll get to draft and keep your favourites year to year.

And I also consider you two to be part of the cornerstone of our great leagues. Trash talk wouldn't be the same...
  19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd be in if you'd let me :)
  20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Slippy management enterprises is offering Darth Tater a position as Vice President of Basketball operations. What this means is that he can laugh at my team moves and make suggestions I'll generally ignore.