PF.com Keeper League 08-09

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by webz, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

"Webz
    Roscoe
    Linwood
    Warthog
    Winless
    bball jay
    Ralph
    Slippy?
    Tashawn?
    Conjeremy?
    Round?
    Laimbeer
    Motown
    Me (Max)"

I'm glad I'm not Commissioner Webz. If the league has a maximum of 12 teams and 14 people think they are in...:sssh:
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This league is going to be a blast....

....especially since Darth won't be a part of it.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good one Bill

^

^

^

^

^

^
    ...Webz, if you need any advice about who ^ to keep out of the league, just pm me. I've got some ideas...
  4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yes it will be difficult, but there are still other PF.com leagues people can play in if they miss out. I have resigned as Commish of the Scrubs league if someone wants to run that. Linwood? Ralphie?

People who have declared interest for the Keeper league and have been sent invites to the test League:

webz
    BillLaimbeer
    Roscoe
    Winless
    Linwood
    Slippy
    LADre
    Motown
    Max
    Warthog
    bball jay
    Ralph

Tater*
    Jammer*

* Sent invites in case they will change their mind.

That makes 12 so far... Anyone else??
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Next season, I will have graduated from college and officially have time to make all of you cry in fantasy sports. :MusicBigGrin:

It's better for everyone that I wait one more year to leave college and go into the NBA, as it were.
  6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i'm going for a stars and scrubs strategy. i have a knack for picking diamonds in the rough.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With cornerstones like Darko and Carlos Delfino, I would hate to see your scrubs. :stirthepot:
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

And so it begins...

Based on my past fantasy league performances, I'm going to have to get my trash talking in early.
  9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One more thing that hasn't been discussed yet is the format.

I would like to gather people's thoughts on whether we should have a Daily or Weekly league.

Here are a couple of quick points for both off the top of my head. Please add to these with your own.

Daily
    + More engrossing (checking boxscores daily for break out players, injuries, etc)
    + More flexible for Strategy and injuries
    - More time-consuming than Weekly

Weekly
    + Strategy important; taking into consideration number of games played for the week is vital
    + Less maintenance. Once lineup is set for the week that's it
    - Unable to change lineup if an injury occurs. Especially at start of the week.
  10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'd like to try weekly.

Daily is more user friendly as its almost a no brainer to set full line ups. On a weekly, you need to take into account games that week, the opponent, and other good stuff. We have novice for those who don't want to think too much.
  11. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've nevver played in an ESPN- league before, but I'm pretty sure you can set your daily line ups in advance as in the yahoo leagues, right?
    If so, daily shouldn't be a problem for anyone
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Slippy makes a good point about weekly. It's funny how we've transitioned many of our leagues to weekly instead of daily in the last couple of years.

The only problem with weekly, is that you can't afford to wait to the last minute to set your lineups (like I do). If you wait too long, you can forget, and then your roster is locked from last week.

Maybe this is my unique problem. But I thought I would point it out.

Also, I didn't want to go there, but in order for a keeper league to work, people have to be committed. So it might be best to figure out how exactly we'll handle delinquent owners from ruining a league. It's one thing to go on vacay without setting your rosters or telling anyone, another thing to go into the tank after week 6 and tip the level of competition, with no intentions of doing anything next year.

Most keeper leagues use money as the commitment. I don't like that, and I don't think we should mix money into the equation. But a strong policy on commitment could allow the Commish to act swiftly to prevent any imbalances by turning an abandoned team into an expansion franchise.

Some food for thought...
  13. Slippy

I would expect tanking to be a valid long term strategy...it worked for San Antonio...

but not playing is different. I think we should have the commissioner motion that the franchise be considered delinquent and the league will vote on it privately. Voting is mandatory and would include an abstain option.
    If found delinquent, the user is banned from keeper league and the franchise is opened for new ownership. If no new owner is found, the top ranked players at each position are set to start and left the whole season.

Deciding if a team is delinquent would differ between a daily and weekly league. but generally, I would say that if an injured/suspended player stays in the starting lineup for 2 weeks (1 week in daily leagues) the commsih will contact the owner via league channels (not pf.com PM). If no response is given in 48 hrs or so, the motion is made.

Those r my thots.
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i like weekly simply because it's a keeper league, which goes more with the long-term strategy theme.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Another idea Slip. Since we're all fairly friendly, we could trust a master phone list to one or two people (Commish, Deputy Commish) in the event we need to make contact. That's based upon people being willing to share their ph# in a small group.
  16. Slippy

my feeling for the league channels only communication when considering a delinquent team is that if they aren't checking their team, they won't get the notice. It's not the Commish's job to prod people back into playing. It can be done by anyone at any time.
  17. bball jay

i vote for weekly. it's easier for me that way since i usually give my players a while before i take them out of my starting lineup anyway.
  18. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I prefer daily line ups do to injuries and DNP's. How hard is it really to just set your line up for the whole week in advance if you think you may not be able to daily? It is the same thing as doing it once a week basically. Atleast you have the option of removing a player that isn't playing or is injured when you have daily line up rather than sticking with them the whole week.
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

I got burned a couple times on this last year in the scrub league...not that it mattered cuz my team sucked :P Like has been said, you can treat daily like weekly by setting your lineups in advance (I used to set my daily lineups in the novice league 2 weeks ahead)...plus have the flexibility to change when someone turns an ankle on Monday or Tuesday.

Allowing co-ownerships might help alleviate this problem...? food4thot
  20. bball jay

ok. you convinced me. i'm vote daily lineups now. the weekly people can do it weekly and the daily people can do it that way. that's the only way everyone is happy.